    still playable in america as well. is this sort of compatibility an issue
    with dvds?
    thanks for any advice. i am totally new to this dvd technology.
    Luis ORTEGA, Dec 10, 2003

  2. > i am considering getting the pioneer dvr 106d or the sony 510 ak or
    > ulk. can anyone please advise on which drive might be a better choice?
    > the sony has a larger buffer. i don't know if this is important in dvd
    > writing. I'm not sure whether the 510ak or the 510ulk is the same
    > drive with one being an internal and one being an external. are they
    > different drives? is the pioneer a06 the same as the dvr106d?

    I think a06 = 106d only difference s one is retail and one is bulk
    (no software, etc)....
    Both are great burners and you wont make a mistake buying either one.

    > also, if i already have nero 6, do i already have some sort of dvd
    > authoring software or do i need other software to burn a video to a
    > dvd and have it play in a dvd player?

    You can burn with nero, but you'll need authoring tool to prepare stuff
    you are burning.

    Tomy.
    Tomislav Petrovic, Dec 11, 2003

  3. If you search Google Groups you'll find thousands of posts on this matter.
    I'll save you a little time. The vast majority of those posts deem the
    Pioneer unit to be superior. There.

    The a06 and the 106d are the exact same drive and use the same firmware
    (this is not true of the Sony drives). One is the full retail package and
    the other is the OEM package.

    You will definitely want some DVD authoring software. DVD Lab works well for
    me. Nero is great for the final burn though.

    You might want to take a look at the NEC 1300A burner. This model is rated
    highly by almost all who have purchased it.

    Whichever unit you purchase, pay close attention to the media you use with
    it. Find out which media is the most compatible with your unit and use that
    media exclusively. I use Ritek 4X -R media with my Pioneer. I'm on my third
    spindle of 100 and have yet to burn a coaster. Get yourself a few RW discs
    to experiment with before you start burning to write once media.

    "Luis ORTEGA" <> wrote in message
    > i am considering getting the pioneer dvr 106d or the sony 510 ak or ulk.

    can
    > anyone please advise on which drive might be a better choice?
    > the sony has a larger buffer. i don't know if this is important in dvd
    > writing. I'm not sure whether the 510ak or the 510ulk is the same drive

    with
    > one being an internal and one being an external. are they different

    drives?
    > is the pioneer a06 the same as the dvr106d?
    > also, if i already have nero 6, do i already have some sort of dvd

    authoring
    > software or do i need other software to burn a video to a dvd and have it
    > play in a dvd player?
    > would anyone recommend another writer altogether?
    > my main interest is to burn my edited videos to a dvd instead of to a dv
    > tape and be able to play the dvd on as many dvd players as possible.
    > also, if i am making my dvds from a pal standard in england, will the dvd
    > movie be playable if i send it to a friend in the usa?
    > i know that i can burn a pal video onto a cd as a quicktime movie and it

    is

    Colon Terminus, Dec 14, 2003