Pinned forever

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Richard Urban, Nov 28, 2009.

  1. A minimized program *IS* running.

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Nov 28, 2009

  2. The program access shortcut can be pinned to the taskbar. If so, when
    you right click on the shortcut on the taskbar the recently used files
    are listed for launch with the program or you can choose simply to
    launch the program.

    When the program is running, the taskbar shortcut is surrounded by a
    highlight box.

    Dominic Payer, Nov 28, 2009

  3. Richard Urban

    Steve Foster Guest

    John wrote:

    >Windows 7 64 bit.
    >Open program and it is minimized to taskbar
    >
    >Left click just shows the name of the program
    >
    >Right click shows
    >name of program
    >"Unpin this program"
    >"Open program"

    >Clicking "unpin" just changes the middle message above to "Pin this
    >program"
    >Open this program simply opens a copy of the program with the exact same
    >attributes as the first copy.
    >
    >At no point does a maximize/minimize prompt appear so, apparently this
    >program is doomed to lie in the taskbar without running forever or until I
    >close it.

    Left-clicking open program icons normally toggles window visibility (ie
    minimised windows are maximised, and vice versa).

    Pinning is the act of putting programs "into" the task bar (quick launch
    equivalent).

    >I've never seen behavior like this till win 7 64. What is going on?

    Possibly the application isn't compatible with Windows 7 in some way, or
    the window state has become severely confused (eg off-screen if you've
    used a multi-monitor configuration along the way).

    You might try right-clicking on an empty portion of the task bar and
    choosing "Cascade Windows" (or one of the other windows-rearranging
    options).

    --
    Steve Foster
    ------------

    John, Nov 29, 2009
  5. Richard Urban

    John Guest

    In this case the program is open but not doing anything. For instance
    Word can be open but not accessible. Technically running but might as
    well not be.

    John, Nov 29, 2009
  6. Richard Urban

    John Guest

    Steve Foster wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >
    >> Windows 7 64 bit.
    >> Open program and it is minimized to taskbar
    >>
    >> Left click just shows the name of the program
    >>
    >> Right click shows
    >> name of program
    >> "Unpin this program"
    >> "Open program"

    >> Clicking "unpin" just changes the middle message above to "Pin this
    >> program"
    >> Open this program simply opens a copy of the program with the exact
    >> same attributes as the first copy.
    >>
    >> At no point does a maximize/minimize prompt appear so, apparently this
    >> program is doomed to lie in the taskbar without running forever or
    >> until I close it.

    > Left-clicking open program icons normally toggles window visibility (ie
    > minimised windows are maximised, and vice versa).
    >
    > Pinning is the act of putting programs "into" the task bar (quick launch
    > equivalent).
    >

    >> I've never seen behavior like this till win 7 64. What is going on?

    > Possibly the application isn't compatible with Windows 7 in some way, or
    > the window state has become severely confused (eg off-screen if you've
    > used a multi-monitor configuration along the way).
    >
    > You might try right-clicking on an empty portion of the task bar and
    > choosing "Cascade Windows" (or one of the other windows-rearranging
    > options).

    Think it all started when I installed updated driver for ATI card
    yesterday. This seemed to include a separate desktop manager of some
    sort. So I deleted all the ATI stuff but it still is working very
    strangely. Not sure what to do now.

    John

    John, Nov 29, 2009