Pinnacle Studio 9 with MovieBoxDV

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Orak Listalavostok, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. I want to burn my VHS home movies to DVD.

    As a first step, yesterday, I purchased, from Fryes, a reconditioned:
    Pinnacle Studio MovieBox DV (Movie Box DV hardware & Studio 9 software
    for $245 US dollars + California sales tax of 8.25%.

    a) I correctly wired the 3 VHS VCR RCA outputs to the Pinnacle MovieBoxDV
    white-red-yellow composite analog video input port; and I correctly
    wired the Pinnacle MovieBox DV output 6-pin-to-4-pin firewire to the
    WinXP laptop's firewire input port.
    b) I inserted a VHS home video tape & pressed the PLAY button on the VCR
    (having tested with a TV that the VCR was outputting the desired movie).
    c) Windowx XP automatically started Pinnacle Studio version 9 on my
    IBM A31p laptop when I plugged in the 4-pin firewire connection.

    Yet, after three hours of testing & reading the manual, absolutely
    nothing shows in the Pinnacle Studio version 9 preview pane!

    Despite the frustrating error message (see below):
    - "Setup->Capture Source" is set to "Capture devices":
    Video = MovieBox DV Analog
    Audio = MovieBox DV Analog
    TV Standard = NTSC
    Aspect Ratio = 4.3
    Drive C Read Data Rate = 13049 Kbyte/sec
    Drive C Write Data Rate = 10935 Kbyte/sec
    Capture Format = MPEG preset @ High quality (DVD)

    Still I get the (contrarian) frustratingly insipid error message below,
    despite the fact I've repeatedly checked all connections, set the
    "Diskometer" to "Composite" and "S-Video" back & forth numerous times
    (leaving it on "Composite" where it belongs for copying VHS tape to disk).

    Still, I get the production stopping Pinnacle Studio version 9 error:

    Capture Device Initialization Error:
    Pinnacle Studio is trying to initialuze a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder
    via a 1394 port.

    If you are trying to capture analog video:
    1. Click on Setup->Capture Source and select the correct video capture device.
    2. Open the left hand panel on the Diskometer (capture controller.) and set
    the correctd analog video input port (Composite or S-Video).

    If you are trying to capture from a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder:
    1. Make sure our camcorder is turned on, is in VTR/VCR/Play mode, and is
    connected to the 1394 port on the computer.

    Any ideas why Pinnacle Studio 9 insists on seeing a digital device on the
    firewire instead of its own MovieBoxDV hardware (supplied with the software)?

    Yes, I registered the product & activated the MPEG-2 codec unlock by
    obtaining an activation key from the Pinnacle Studios site & entering
    it into the form Help->Enter Activation Key.

    Since the unit was reconditioned by Fryes, do you think it's busted (I have
    only 15 days plus this has software so I don't know if there's a restocking
    fee). I'd rather the darn thing just work.

    Is anyone successful on an IBM A31p laptop with recording from VHS to the
    laptop using Pinnacle Studio version 9 & the Pinnacle MovieBox DV unit?
    Have you seen this annoyingly frustrating problem before?

    Orak Listalavostok
    Orak Listalavostok, Jun 3, 2004

  2. (Orak Listalavostok) wrote in

> [...]
    > and is
    > connected to the 1394 port on the computer.
    >
    > Any ideas why Pinnacle Studio 9 insists on seeing a digital device
    > on the firewire instead of its own MovieBoxDV hardware (supplied
    > with the software)?
    >
    > Yes, I registered the product & activated the MPEG-2 codec unlock
    > by obtaining an activation key from the Pinnacle Studios site &
    > entering it into the form Help->Enter Activation Key.
    >
    > Since the unit was reconditioned by Fryes, do you think it's
    > busted (I have only 15 days plus this has software so I don't know
    > if there's a restocking fee). I'd rather the darn thing just work.
    >
    > Is anyone successful on an IBM A31p laptop with recording from VHS
    > to the laptop using Pinnacle Studio version 9 & the Pinnacle
    > MovieBox DV unit? Have you seen this annoyingly frustrating

    Are you sure Fry's reconditioned it, or did they just stick the
    little label onto the box?

    I'm also guessing here that there may still be a setting well-hidden
    somewhere in the Pinnacle software about controlling/not controlling
    the camcorder. Since you're not using a camcorder, you would want
    that off.

    You could also try downloading the demo version of Scenalyzer Live,
    to see if the problem is in the Pinnacle capture S/W. ScLive is
    robust, turning off camcorder control is really easy in it, and it's
    fairly cheap if you decide to get it (like around $35). There are
    also other capture programs, even some free ones, I think.

    Good luck,
    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
    Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com
    Gene E. Bloch, Jun 3, 2004

  3. Orak Listalavostok

    Susan Guest

    Orak,

    I assume the Movie Box DV is designed to take your VHS signal, convert
    it to DV and send it to your computer via your Firewire connector.

    If this is the case, you have almost everything set up wrong.

    First, read the manual and follow the diagrams on how to set up your
    hardware and then Studio 9. You have the proper cables going from
    your VCR to the Movie box, then the DV signal going to your computer.
    If the Movie box is converting the VHS composite and audio signals to
    DV, then your computer will see a DV "camcorder" attached to the
    Firewire input. HOWEVER, it will be the equivalent of a
    non-controllable DV device, such as a Digital 8 Camcorder, or any
    other analog to DV converter.

    THEREFORE, you must set Studio 9 to capture DV without device control.
    Again, read the manual and it will tell you how to use the SETUP menus
    and then switch to the Capture window. Since you will not have device
    control, you will have to start and stop your VCR by hand. Cue your
    tape to a few seconds BEFORE where you want to capture, so that you
    have a signal coming into your computer/Studio, then click Start
    Capture in Studio (You'll have to give your capture a name unless you
    want it named Video 1, or whatever is the default in Studio 9, then
    click OK and start capturing.

    BUT AGAIN, it the Movie box is actually converting your signal to DV,
    you will need to capture to DV and convert to MPG (if that is what
    you want) unless you want to try and convert to MPG on the fly, which
    is not recommended.

    If you really want to capture in MPG, you should take the Movie box DV
    back and get a hardware VHS to MPG converter, which will probably
    connect to your computer through a USB1 (bad) or 2 (better) connector.

    Finally, go to the Pinnacle Studio 9 webboard and seek additional
    help, after you've read the manual.

    Hope this helps,

    Susan

    PS, the "recommendation" from Fry's was that you give them money, not
    that the Pinnacle was recommended.

    (Orak Listalavostok) wrote:

    >I want to burn my VHS home movies to DVD.
    >
    >As a first step, yesterday, I purchased, from Fryes, a reconditioned:
    > Pinnacle Studio MovieBox DV (Movie Box DV hardware & Studio 9 software
    >for $245 US dollars + California sales tax of 8.25%.
    >
    >a) I correctly wired the 3 VHS VCR RCA outputs to the Pinnacle MovieBoxDV
    > white-red-yellow composite analog video input port; and I correctly
    > wired the Pinnacle MovieBox DV output 6-pin-to-4-pin firewire to the
    > WinXP laptop's firewire input port.
    >b) I inserted a VHS home video tape & pressed the PLAY button on the VCR
    > (having tested with a TV that the VCR was outputting the desired movie).
    >c) Windowx XP automatically started Pinnacle Studio version 9 on my
    > IBM A31p laptop when I plugged in the 4-pin firewire connection.
    >
    >Yet, after three hours of testing & reading the manual, absolutely
    >nothing shows in the Pinnacle Studio version 9 preview pane!
    >
    >Despite the frustrating error message (see below):
    > - "Setup->Capture Source" is set to "Capture devices":
    > Video = MovieBox DV Analog
    > Audio = MovieBox DV Analog
    > TV Standard = NTSC
    > Aspect Ratio = 4.3
    > Drive C Read Data Rate = 13049 Kbyte/sec
    > Drive C Write Data Rate = 10935 Kbyte/sec
    > Capture Format = MPEG preset @ High quality (DVD)

    If the Movie box DV is a DV conversion device, your computer will see
    it as a DV camcorder, and that is what Studio will have to see also.

    >Still I get the (contrarian) frustratingly insipid error message below,
    >despite the fact I've repeatedly checked all connections, set the
    >"Diskometer" to "Composite" and "S-Video" back & forth numerous times
    >(leaving it on "Composite" where it belongs for copying VHS tape to disk).

    Again, you are NOT trying to capture analog VHS, you are trying to
    capture a DV signal from the Movie box.

    >Still, I get the production stopping Pinnacle Studio version 9 error:
    >
    > Capture Device Initialization Error:
    > Pinnacle Studio is trying to initialuze a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder
    > via a 1394 port.
    >
    > If you are trying to capture analog video:
    > 1. Click on Setup->Capture Source and select the correct video capture device.
    > 2. Open the left hand panel on the Diskometer (capture controller.) and set
    > the correctd analog video input port (Composite or S-Video).
    >
    >If you are trying to capture from a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder:
    > 1. Make sure our camcorder is turned on, is in VTR/VCR/Play mode, and is
    > connected to the 1394 port on the computer.

    Again, THIS is what you are trying to do.

    Susan, Jun 3, 2004
  4. "Susan" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > Again, THIS is what you are trying to do.
    > >
    > >Any ideas why Pinnacle Studio 9 insists on seeing a digital device on the
    > >firewire instead of its own MovieBoxDV hardware (supplied with the

    software)?

    > >Yes, I registered the product & activated the MPEG-2 codec unlock by
    > >obtaining an activation key from the Pinnacle Studios site & entering
    > >it into the form Help->Enter Activation Key.
    > >
    > >Since the unit was reconditioned by Fryes, do you think it's busted (I

    have
    > >only 15 days plus this has software so I don't know if there's a

    restocking
    > >fee). I'd rather the darn thing just work.
    > >
    > >Is anyone successful on an IBM A31p laptop with recording from VHS to the
    > >laptop using Pinnacle Studio version 9 & the Pinnacle MovieBox DV unit?
    > >Have you seen this annoyingly frustrating problem before?

    I thought that the DV version of the MovieBox is for playing Digital
    Video, through
    a camcorder attached to the moviebox device.If you're running tapes through
    a VCR, you
    need the version of Moviebox labeled USB.

    I use a VCR attached to the Moviebox USB and I have no problems at all.

    Adrian
    Adrian S. Kuiper, Jun 3, 2004
  5. Orak Listalavostok

    CBusch6651 Guest

    >If you are trying to capture analog video:
    > 1. Click on Setup->Capture Source and select the correct video capture
    >device.
    > 2. Open the left hand panel on the Diskometer (capture controller.) and set
    > the correctd analog video input port (Composite or S-Video).
    >
    >If you are trying to capture from a DV or Digital 8 Camcorder:
    > 1. Make sure our camcorder is turned on, is in VTR/VCR/Play mode, and is
    > connected to the 1394 port on the computer.
    >
    >Any ideas why Pinnacle Studio 9 insists on seeing a digital device on the
    >firewire instead of its own MovieBoxDV hardware (supplied with the software)?
    >
    >Yes, I registered the product & activated the MPEG-2 codec unlock by
    >obtaining an activation key from the Pinnacle Studios site & entering
    >it into the form Help->Enter Activation Key.
    >
    >Since the unit was reconditioned by Fryes, do you think it's busted (I have
    >only 15 days plus this has software so I don't know if there's a restocking
    >fee). I'd rather the darn thing just work.
    >
    >Is anyone successful on an IBM A31p laptop with recording from VHS to the
    >laptop using Pinnacle Studio version 9 & the Pinnacle MovieBox DV unit?
    >Have you seen this annoyingly frustrating problem before?
    >
    >Orak Listalavostok

    My daughter uses the Pinnacle Studio 8 box for analog transfers and we have had
    a problem setting it up twice when first installing it. It refused to
    recognize an analog source. The diskometer wouldn't even show the option to
    switch over to analog. We finally had to download the latest driver for the
    transfer box from Pinnacle's site and load the new driver. Then we had to make
    sure that the computer was recognizing the new hardware device. It finally
    worked, but it took contacting Pinnacle and trying several times. Although the
    box is made for analog and digital, it seems to be much more geared to digital
    sources.

    Craig Busch
    CBusch6651, Jun 6, 2004
  6. > > I assume the Movie Box DV is designed to take your VHS signal, convert
    > > it to DV and send it to your computer via your Firewire connector.

    I finally called a series of Pinnacle Systems' support sites, starting
    with the one in Mountain View CA at 650-526-1600 and ending with a
    support technician telling me to "return the MovieBox DV to Fryes"
    (who apparently does NOT recondition these things at all).

    Pinnacle didn't even care about the error message because the hardware
    test failed. That is, when I wired the VHS player (even with the VHS
    deck turned off) red/white/yellow wires into the input RCA jacks of
    the 'Pinnacle MovieBox DV' unit & set the 'Select' button correctly,
    the appropriate LED input indicators did not light. This, Pinnacle
    support said, was a clear indication of a bad MovieBox DV unit.

    Since it was my dime, I also asked if my Pinnacle Systems hardware
    MovieBox DV converted analog composite video to digital avi or to
    digital MPEG-2; they said NONE of their consumer units performed
    hardware conversion to MPEG-2 - that is, they convert to avi & let
    the Pinnacle Studio 9 software do the conversion of avi to mpeg 2.

    This struck me as wierd. Anybody (with a digital DV camcorder) could
    simply play any VHS tape out the RCA jacks into that existing camcorder
    with the firewire inputs set to straight-through output to perform the
    same task as I just paid 250 bucks for. No additional hardware needed!

    So, my new (untried, but hopefully sound) recommendation is for me to
    dispense altogether with the MovieBox DV analog-to-AVI & then the
    software studio-9-to-MPEG2 approach, in favor of the following:
    - Play any VHS tape out normal RCA composite analog jacks
    - Connect that composite analog to an RCA-to-mini-phono cable
    - Into any digital camcorder (e.g., JVC GR-DVL820U) "AV" jack
    - With the camcorder AV phono output set to INPUT
    (PowerOn->Manual->Menu->DSC->REC SELECT->to TAPE to M)
    - Which then outputs a digital AVI signal (just like the MovieBox did)
    - Into the camcorder firewire output port into a firewire cable
    - Plugged into the laptop PC firewire input port
    - With Pinnacle Systems' $99 Studios 9 running
    - Which converts the digital camcorder avi signal to MPEG-2
    - Which is saved to the hard disk in real time
    - And then later burned to DVD out that same firewire port

    Does this (as yet untested) camcorder approach seem like it will work?

    Orak Listalavostok
    Orak Listalavostok, Jun 13, 2004
  7. On 13 Jun 2004 00:32:51 -0700, (Orak
    Listalavostok) wrote:

    >> > I assume the Movie Box DV is designed to take your VHS signal, convert
    >> > it to DV and send it to your computer via your Firewire connector.

    >I finally called a series of Pinnacle Systems' support sites, starting
    >with the one in Mountain View CA at 650-526-1600 and ending with a
    >support technician telling me to "return the MovieBox DV to Fryes"
    >(who apparently does NOT recondition these things at all).
    >
    >Pinnacle didn't even care about the error message because the hardware
    >test failed. That is, when I wired the VHS player (even with the VHS
    >deck turned off) red/white/yellow wires into the input RCA jacks of
    >the 'Pinnacle MovieBox DV' unit & set the 'Select' button correctly,
    >the appropriate LED input indicators did not light. This, Pinnacle
    >support said, was a clear indication of a bad MovieBox DV unit.
    >
    >Since it was my dime, I also asked if my Pinnacle Systems hardware
    >MovieBox DV converted analog composite video to digital avi or to
    >digital MPEG-2; they said NONE of their consumer units performed
    >hardware conversion to MPEG-2 - that is, they convert to avi & let
    >the Pinnacle Studio 9 software do the conversion of avi to mpeg 2.

    The same applies to other analog to DV capture devices using
    firewire. By emulating a camcorder, they greatly simplify the
    requirements to capture video -- and DV camcorders play DV, nothing
    else (as far as what goes on tape and over firewire).

    >This struck me as wierd. Anybody (with a digital DV camcorder) could
    >simply play any VHS tape out the RCA jacks into that existing camcorder
    >with the firewire inputs set to straight-through output to perform the
    >same task as I just paid 250 bucks for. No additional hardware needed!

    Not if they had a camcorder which didn't pass through analog video,
    which is pretty common in EU and not uncommon on some models
    elsewhere.

    The other thing is to let you hoop up your analog VCR without
    needing a digital camcorder, especially useful if you want to convert
    a lot of VHS or other analog material without tying up the camcorder.

    But such devices aren't necessary if you have a DV camcorder with
    analog ins, and don't mind using it that way.

    The only other thing is that some non-DV output devices *do* capture
    directly to mpeg2 (using hardware capture chips), or can capture to
    higher data rates/lower compression than DV. But to do that, the
    device has to provide its own capture software, because while DV
    devices are strongly standardized, and the OS supports capture from
    them easily, the others are essentially proprietary to the maker,
    using the maker's drivers and hardware to do the task. AFAIK, the
    MovieBoxDV is DV only, same with the similar Canopus product.

    >So, my new (untried, but hopefully sound) recommendation is for me to
    >dispense altogether with the MovieBox DV analog-to-AVI & then the
    >software studio-9-to-MPEG2 approach, in favor of the following:
    > - Play any VHS tape out normal RCA composite analog jacks
    > - Connect that composite analog to an RCA-to-mini-phono cable
    > - Into any digital camcorder (e.g., JVC GR-DVL820U) "AV" jack
    > - With the camcorder AV phono output set to INPUT
    > (PowerOn->Manual->Menu->DSC->REC SELECT->to TAPE to M)
    > - Which then outputs a digital AVI signal (just like the MovieBox did)
    > - Into the camcorder firewire output port into a firewire cable
    > - Plugged into the laptop PC firewire input port
    > - With Pinnacle Systems' $99 Studios 9 running
    > - Which converts the digital camcorder avi signal to MPEG-2
    > - Which is saved to the hard disk in real time
    > - And then later burned to DVD out that same firewire port
    >
    >Does this (as yet untested) camcorder approach seem like it will work?

    That should all work just fine.
    Jeffery S. Jones, Jun 13, 2004
  8. (CBusch6651) wrote in message news:<>...
    > My daughter uses the Pinnacle Studio 8 box for analog transfers and we have had
    > a problem setting it up twice when first installing it. It refused to
    > recognize an analog source. The diskometer wouldn't even show the option to
    > switch over to analog. We finally had to download the latest driver for the
    > transfer box from Pinnacle's site and load the new driver. Then we had to make
    > sure that the computer was recognizing the new hardware device. It finally
    > worked, but it took contacting Pinnacle and trying several times. Although the
    > box is made for analog and digital, it seems to be much more geared to digital
    > sources.

    What worked for me (and hopefully others) is that I returned the
    first Pinnacle Systems' MovieBox DV (price $245). The replacement
    MovieBox DV worked fine converting analog video (TV, VHS, Hi8, etc.)
    to digital AVI (it would be better if it rendered to MPEG & compiled
    to DVD format, but, most folks don't want that as they wish to edit
    the uncompressed AVI before rendering to MPEG-2 & compiling to DVD).

    I also experimented using the camcorder AV/S-Video input as an output,
    which also worked fine, so, I'd say the MovieBox DV is merely a
    luxury for those who don't want to tie up the camcorder all day.

    The hard part wasn't converting analog sources to DVD; that was so
    easy that it happened almost automatically. The hard part (for me)
    was figuring out the precise settings that fit large files (over
    2 and a half hours of video at up to 3.6 MB of disk per second)
    onto a blank single-layer 4.7 GB recordable DVD+R discs without
    losing too much quality & content in the process.

    The settings I hit upon for that 'fitting' task were:
    - Encode audio as MPEG audio (vs PCM audio)
    - Remove all trailers and extraneous content
    - Variable bit rate (vs constant), although I'm unsure the effect
    - Lower from 8,000 Kbits/second to 3750 Kbits/second bit rate
    - Filter video (to minimize effect of the lower bit rate)

    Note: Since I've only done this a few times so far, I'm unsure the
    effect of switching, for example, from CBR to VBR yet also
    setting a fixed 3750 Kbits/second resolution.

    These two settings seem at odds with one aother. Are they?

    Orak Listalavostok
    Orak Listalavostok, Jun 27, 2004
  9. Orak Listalavostok

    luminos Guest

    > > My daughter uses the Pinnacle Studio 8 box for analog transfers and we

    have had
    > > a problem setting it up twice when first installing it. It refused to
    > > recognize an analog source. The diskometer wouldn't even show the

    option to
    > > switch over to analog. We finally had to download the latest driver for

    the
    > > transfer box from Pinnacle's site and load the new driver. Then we had

    to make
    > > sure that the computer was recognizing the new hardware device. It

    finally
    > > worked, but it took contacting Pinnacle and trying several times.

    Although the
    > > box is made for analog and digital, it seems to be much more geared to

    digital
    > > sources.

    If you read the opinions on Amazon.com and elsewhere, it is easy to conclude
    that everything....EVERYTHING...Pinnacle does is horribly flawed.
    luminos, Jun 27, 2004
  10. Orak Listalavostok

    Sheppy Guest

    > > > My daughter uses the Pinnacle Studio 8 box for analog transfers and we
    > have had
    > > > a problem setting it up twice when first installing it. It refused to
    > > > recognize an analog source. The diskometer wouldn't even show the

    > option to
    > > > switch over to analog. We finally had to download the latest driver

    for
    > the
    > > > transfer box from Pinnacle's site and load the new driver. Then we

    had
    > to make
    > > > sure that the computer was recognizing the new hardware device. It

    > finally
    > > > worked, but it took contacting Pinnacle and trying several times.

    > Although the
    > > > box is made for analog and digital, it seems to be much more geared to

    > digital
    > > > sources.

    > If you read the opinions on Amazon.com and elsewhere, it is easy to

    conclude
    > that everything....EVERYTHING...Pinnacle does is horribly flawed.

    Not true - I have the MovieBoxDV & Pinnacle 9, the DV Capture bridge works
    perfectly, capture with WinDV, maybe edit in VirtualDub, TmpGenc Plus & DVD
    Author and I'm laughing, now what do I do with the disc containing Pinnacle
    9.....? Driver problems, what driver problems????
    Sheppy, Jun 29, 2004
  11. Orak Listalavostok

    Buchetamo Guest

    "Sheppy" <> wrote in message

    we
    > > have had

    > > option to

    > for
    > > the

    > had
    > > to make

    > > finally

    > > Although the

    > > digital

    > > If you read the opinions on Amazon.com and elsewhere, it is easy to

    > conclude
    > > that everything....EVERYTHING...Pinnacle does is horribly flawed.

    > Not true - I have the MovieBoxDV & Pinnacle 9, the DV Capture bridge works
    > perfectly, capture with WinDV, maybe edit in VirtualDub, TmpGenc Plus &

    DVD
    > Author and I'm laughing, now what do I do with the disc containing

    Pinnacle
    > 9.....? Driver problems, what driver problems????

    Last night I converted a VHS Eric Clapton concert (1987) of 90 minutes in
    duration to digital & I added an extra 15 minutes of my own material, I
    included Special Sounds, Titles, Transitions & of course, a Menu. Went to
    Make Disc, Burn Directly to Disc (DVD). It took 2 hrs for the rendering
    after which... BINGO!! I had a beautiful DVD just as I wanted... nothing was
    missing. All of this using Pinnacle Studio 9. So, what's the problem? well,
    after reading comments like this from the "Association of Volunteer Pinnacle
    Studio 8/9 Detractors" I wonder "am I lucky?" I doubt VERY MUCH there is an
    EASIER program in the market to author movies (perhaps Ulead Movie Factory
    2!!)? I then burned a second Eric Clapton concert & added my own material...
    but in this case I used Ulead Video Studio 8 & again: NO PROBLEMS. But I
    prefer Pinnacle Stdio 9. By the way, I also have Adobe Premiere 7 in my
    computer, but I'm waiting to complete my PhD to even try to understand it!!
    Pinnacle is INDEED "temperamental" but not "horribly flawed" that is an
    exaggeration here, there & everywhere. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!

    Buchetamo, Jul 1, 2004
  12. Orak Listalavostok

    luminos Guest

    "Buchetamo" <> wrote in message

    > "Sheppy" <> wrote in message

    and
    > we
    > > > have had

    refused
    > > > option to

    driver
    > > for
    > > > the

    we
    > > had
    > > > to make

    It
    > > > finally
    > > > Although the

    geared
    > > > digital
    > > >
    > > > If you read the opinions on Amazon.com and elsewhere, it is easy to

    > > conclude
    > > > that everything....EVERYTHING...Pinnacle does is horribly flawed.

    > > Not true - I have the MovieBoxDV & Pinnacle 9, the DV Capture bridge

    works
    > > perfectly, capture with WinDV, maybe edit in VirtualDub, TmpGenc Plus &

    > DVD
    > > Author and I'm laughing, now what do I do with the disc containing

    > Pinnacle
    > > 9.....? Driver problems, what driver problems????
    > >

    > Last night I converted a VHS Eric Clapton concert (1987) of 90 minutes in
    > duration to digital & I added an extra 15 minutes of my own material, I
    > included Special Sounds, Titles, Transitions & of course, a Menu. Went to
    > Make Disc, Burn Directly to Disc (DVD). It took 2 hrs for the rendering
    > after which... BINGO!! I had a beautiful DVD just as I wanted... nothing

    was
    > missing. All of this using Pinnacle Studio 9.

    The main problem many of us had with earlier versions is crashing and taking
    8+ hours for rendering the type of files you indicate. I have yet to find
    enough evidence in posts that this has completely changed.
    luminos, Jul 1, 2004
  13. Orak Listalavostok

    Sheppy Guest

    I'd tend to agree with your comments, while FWIH Studio 9 is massively
    better than the previous version it's almost as easy as Ulead MovieFactory
    or VideoStudio, but gives more control over the rendering (ie bitrate).

    Personally I'd look more closely at the people who expect to be able to
    capture full quality direct to Mpeg2 without the rendering stage. This is
    very CPU intensive, and always results in poorer encoding than off-line
    encoding, except when there's a hardware encoder present.

    The MovieBoxDV is also very portable without the driver issues effecting the
    USB versions.

    Sheppy, Jul 1, 2004
  14. Orak Listalavostok

    Buchetamo Guest

    &
    > > DVD
    > > > Author and I'm laughing, now what do I do with the disc containing

    > > Pinnacle
    > > > 9.....? Driver problems, what driver problems????
    > > >

    > > Last night I converted a VHS Eric Clapton concert (1987) of 90 minutes

    in
    > > duration to digital & I added an extra 15 minutes of my own material, I
    > > included Special Sounds, Titles, Transitions & of course, a Menu. Went

    > > Make Disc, Burn Directly to Disc (DVD). It took 2 hrs for the rendering
    > > after which... BINGO!! I had a beautiful DVD just as I wanted... nothing

    > was
    > > missing. All of this using Pinnacle Studio 9.

    > The main problem many of us had with earlier versions is crashing and

    taking
    > 8+ hours for rendering the type of files you indicate. I have yet to find
    > enough evidence in posts that this has completely changed.

    Yes, I agree, I remember moments of absolute frustration with Studio 8, all
    of a sudden it'd hang... I had to start all over. But gradually I began to
    understand the software better & better. I find Studio 9 a great
    improvement. For instance, to do 90 minutes Eric Clapton DVD I disabled
    SEVERAL programs in order to allow Studio 9 as much CPU monopoly as
    possible... and it worked. Another thing I strongly recommend: I have two
    hard drives, one exclusively for movies, not much in today's figures, only
    80 GB, but I ALWAYS defragment this drive prior to making my movies.
    Buchetamo, Jul 1, 2004
  15. Orak Listalavostok

    Steve K. Guest

    Buchetamo wrote:
    > I doubt VERY MUCH there is an EASIER program in the market to author movies (perhaps Ulead Movie Factory 2!!)?

    iMovie and iDVD
    Steve K., Jul 1, 2004
  16. Orak Listalavostok

    luminos Guest

    "Steve K." <> wrote in message
    > Buchetamo wrote:
    > > I doubt VERY MUCH there is an EASIER program in the market to author

    movies (perhaps Ulead Movie Factory 2!!)?

    > iMovie and iDVD

    I just helped someone with these programs. They are VERY MUCH overrated.
    Chapters do not work correctly. Stick with Movie Factory 3, DVDxMaker,
    DVD Author or Lab, or even Nero Vision Express 2.

    They are superior.
    luminos, Jul 1, 2004