Pink snow with Fuji JX520

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by The Real Bev, Mar 11, 2013.

  1. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    Small and cheap, I bought it so I could have a camera that I wouldn't
    cry about if I fell on it and broke it while skiing (which hasn't
    happened yet). It's generally better than I expected it to be, with one
    problem:

    Sometimes it puts pink vertical stripes or an overall pink cast on
    videos I take while skiing. Not constant in a given video. Seems to be
    worse when facing toward the sun. Sometimes. Doesn't happen with
    stills. Samples:

    <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852327593564111154>

    <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852326413780175298>

    Any idea what might be causing this?

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey
    and car keys to teenage boys." -- P.J. O'Rourke
    The Real Bev, Mar 11, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. The Real Bev

    otter Guest

    On Mar 11, 2:22 pm, The Real Bev <> wrote:
    > Small and cheap, I bought it so I could have a camera that I wouldn't
    > cry about if I fell on it and broke it while skiing (which hasn't
    > happened yet).  It's generally better than I expected it to be, with one
    > problem:
    >
    > Sometimes it puts pink vertical stripes or an overall pink cast on
    > videos I take while skiing. Not constant in a given video. Seems to be
    > worse when facing toward the sun.  Sometimes.  Doesn't happen with
    > stills.  Samples:
    >
    > <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=....>
    >
    > <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=....>
    >
    > Any idea what might be causing this?
    >


    Small and cheap.

    It is a flare issue of some kind. No idea why it is pink, but flare
    often shows up as colors. I think the only choices you have are to
    avoid doing that, or to buy a different camera, maybe a little more
    expensive one.
    otter, Mar 12, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. The Real Bev

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 11, 2:22 pm, The Real Bev <> wrote:
    > Small and cheap, I bought it so I could have a camera that I wouldn't
    > cry about if I fell on it and broke it while skiing (which hasn't
    > happened yet).  It's generally better than I expected it to be, with one
    > problem:
    >
    > Sometimes it puts pink vertical stripes or an overall pink cast on
    > videos I take while skiing. Not constant in a given video. Seems to be
    > worse when facing toward the sun.  Sometimes.  Doesn't happen with
    > stills.  Samples:
    >
    > <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=....>
    >
    > <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=....>
    >
    > Any idea what might be causing this?
    >


    ISO set too high, IR filter not working very well. WB circuit failure.
    RichA, Mar 12, 2013
    #3
  4. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    On 03/11/2013 08:23 PM, RichA wrote:

    > On Mar 11, 2:22 pm, The Real Bev <> wrote:
    >> Small and cheap, I bought it so I could have a camera that I wouldn't
    >> cry about if I fell on it and broke it while skiing (which hasn't
    >> happened yet). It's generally better than I expected it to be, with one
    >> problem:
    >>
    >> Sometimes it puts pink vertical stripes or an overall pink cast on
    >> videos I take while skiing. Not constant in a given video. Seems to be
    >> worse when facing toward the sun. Sometimes. Doesn't happen with
    >> stills. Samples:
    >>
    >> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=...>
    >>
    >> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=...>
    >>
    >> Any idea what might be causing this?

    >
    > ISO set too high, IR filter not working very well. WB circuit failure.


    100 or auto. White balance = auto or sunlight. Probably doesn't have
    an IR filter. WB works OK with stills.

    Yeah, small and cheap -- by design. You have no idea how much I hate
    breaking stuff, and I tend to keep stuff I like -- like my Canon AS720IS
    or my 4x5 Speed Graphic -- forever. If I have to live with the pink
    cast I will; I'm not on a Tarantino track, but it would be nice to know
    the cause.

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    If it weren't for pain, we wouldn't have any fun at all.
    The Real Bev, Mar 12, 2013
    #4
  5. The Real Bev

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 12/03/2013 04:01, The Real Bev wrote:
    > On 03/11/2013 08:23 PM, RichA wrote:
    >
    >> On Mar 11, 2:22 pm, The Real Bev <> wrote:
    >>> Small and cheap, I bought it so I could have a camera that I wouldn't
    >>> cry about if I fell on it and broke it while skiing (which hasn't
    >>> happened yet). It's generally better than I expected it to be, with one
    >>> problem:
    >>>
    >>> Sometimes it puts pink vertical stripes or an overall pink cast on
    >>> videos I take while skiing. Not constant in a given video. Seems to be
    >>> worse when facing toward the sun. Sometimes. Doesn't happen with
    >>> stills. Samples:
    >>>
    >>> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=...>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=...>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Any idea what might be causing this?

    >>
    >> ISO set too high, IR filter not working very well. WB circuit failure.

    >
    > 100 or auto. White balance = auto or sunlight. Probably doesn't have
    > an IR filter. WB works OK with stills.
    >
    > Yeah, small and cheap -- by design. You have no idea how much I hate
    > breaking stuff, and I tend to keep stuff I like -- like my Canon AS720IS
    > or my 4x5 Speed Graphic -- forever. If I have to live with the pink
    > cast I will; I'm not on a Tarantino track, but it would be nice to know
    > the cause.


    Some of it is certainly flare in the lens when it is directly
    illuminated by bright sunlight. A cheap rubber lens hood should fix it.

    The ISO seems to be set too high and is generating chroma noise in the
    shadows. Forcing 100ASA should fix that shadow noise as should telling
    it "sunlight". Snag is you may lose the freezing of action shots.

    You can probably tweak the video in any of the usual programs to fix the
    AWB bias but once you have ruined the shadow detail is it hard to fix
    the red and blue noise blocks. What surprises me a little bit is that
    there is so much noise on the red channel. Usually blue noise is a
    problem as well. A UV filter might be worth a try since there is a lot
    of it on a ski slope going in every direction and short wavelengths
    scatter more strongly in cheap lenses.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Mar 12, 2013
    #5
  6. The Real Bev

    DanP Guest

    On Monday, March 11, 2013 7:22:40 PM UTC, The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >
    > <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852327593564111154>
    >
    > <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852326413780175298>
    >
    >
    > Any idea what might be causing this?
    >


    I'd say high ISO. Can you set the fps to a lower value? That would give the camera more time for exposure therefore a chance to lower the ISO.


    DanP
    DanP, Mar 12, 2013
    #6
  7. The Real Bev

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 11, 11:01 pm, The Real Bev <> wrote:
    > On 03/11/2013 08:23 PM, RichA wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Mar 11, 2:22 pm, The Real Bev <> wrote:
    > >> Small and cheap, I bought it so I could have a camera that I wouldn't
    > >> cry about if I fell on it and broke it while skiing (which hasn't
    > >> happened yet).  It's generally better than I expected it to be, withone
    > >> problem:

    >
    > >> Sometimes it puts pink vertical stripes or an overall pink cast on
    > >> videos I take while skiing. Not constant in a given video. Seems to be
    > >> worse when facing toward the sun.  Sometimes.  Doesn't happen with
    > >> stills.  Samples:

    >
    > >> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=...>

    >
    > >> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=...>

    >
    > >> Any idea what might be causing this?

    >
    > > ISO set too high, IR filter not working very well.  WB circuit failure.

    >
    > 100 or auto.  White balance = auto or sunlight.  Probably doesn't have
    > an IR filter.  WB works OK with stills.


    All cameras have IR filters. Except astro cameras.

    > Yeah, small and cheap -- by design.  You have no idea how much I hate
    > breaking stuff, and I tend to keep stuff I like -- like my Canon AS720IS
    > or my 4x5 Speed Graphic -- forever.  If I have to live with the pink
    > cast I will; I'm not on a Tarantino track, but it would be nice to know
    > the cause.
    >


    Please...a P&S that shoots decent video can be had used for about
    $50.00. Off to Ebay with you, don't come back without decent video.
    RichA, Mar 12, 2013
    #7
  8. The Real Bev

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    RichA <> wrote:

    > All cameras have IR filters. Except astro cameras.


    no, not all.
    nospam, Mar 12, 2013
    #8
  9. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    On 03/12/2013 03:15 AM, DanP wrote:

    > On Monday, March 11, 2013 7:22:40 PM UTC, The Real Bev wrote:
    >>
    >> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852327593564111154>
    >>

    <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852326413780175298>
    >>
    >> Any idea what might be causing this?

    >
    > I'd say high ISO. Can you set the fps to a lower value? That would
    > give the camera more time for exposure therefore a chance to lower
    > the ISO.


    ISO was set to either 100 or Auto. I set the video to HD, but there's
    no separate fps setting; I would assume a lower fps for a higher
    resolution, but I could be wrong.

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Please hassle me, I thrive on stress.
    The Real Bev, Mar 16, 2013
    #9
  10. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    On 03/12/2013 07:27 AM, George Kerby wrote:
    > On 3/11/13 11:01 PM, in article khm98k$ce6$, "The Real Bev"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 03/11/2013 08:23 PM, RichA wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mar 11, 2:22 pm, The Real Bev <> wrote:
    >>>> Small and cheap, I bought it so I could have a camera that I wouldn't
    >>>> cry about if I fell on it and broke it while skiing (which hasn't
    >>>> happened yet). It's generally better than I expected it to be, with one
    >>>> problem:
    >>>>
    >>>> Sometimes it puts pink vertical stripes or an overall pink cast on
    >>>> videos I take while skiing. Not constant in a given video. Seems to be
    >>>> worse when facing toward the sun. Sometimes. Doesn't happen with
    >>>> stills. Samples:
    >>>>
    >>>> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=...>
    >>>>
    >>>> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=...>
    >>>>
    >>>> Any idea what might be causing this?
    >>>
    >>> ISO set too high, IR filter not working very well. WB circuit failure.

    >>
    >> 100 or auto. White balance = auto or sunlight. Probably doesn't have
    >> an IR filter. WB works OK with stills.
    >>
    >> Yeah, small and cheap -- by design. You have no idea how much I hate
    >> breaking stuff, and I tend to keep stuff I like -- like my Canon AS720IS
    >> or my 4x5 Speed Graphic -- forever. If I have to live with the pink
    >> cast I will; I'm not on a Tarantino track, but it would be nice to know
    >> the cause.

    >
    > Set your white balance to 5500 or the <sun> setting. Take it off AWB.


    Going skiing again next week -- I'll set it for 'sun'.

    Ski season is pretty much over for this year. Bummer.

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Please hassle me, I thrive on stress.
    The Real Bev, Mar 16, 2013
    #10
  11. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    On 03/12/2013 01:57 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

    > On 2013.03.11 15:22 , The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Small and cheap, I bought it so I could have a camera that I wouldn't
    >> cry about if I fell on it and broke it while skiing (which hasn't
    >> happened yet). It's generally better than I expected it to be, with one
    >> problem:
    >>
    >> Sometimes it puts pink vertical stripes or an overall pink cast on
    >> videos I take while skiing. Not constant in a given video. Seems to be
    >> worse when facing toward the sun. Sometimes. Doesn't happen with
    >> stills. Samples:
    >>
    >> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852327593564111154>
    >>
    >> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852326413780175298>
    >>
    >> Any idea what might be causing this?

    >
    > I believe it's flare generated purple fringing.
    >
    > There's a lot of dirt on the lens and this causes fine flare resulting
    > in high contrast images on the sensor, thence purple fringing. Mixing
    > with ambient light it looks pink.
    >
    > Clean the lens and try to shade it from direct sunlight when shooting.


    Hrm. Never occurred to me that the lens could get dirty... It's not
    like it's easy to touch...

    I just experimented. The pink flare is clearly caused by um, lens
    flare. Unfortunately, I get it even when I'm in actual shade but taking
    pix with a lot of near-sun sky. I guess I just can't do that.

    AND it also happens when I'm facing away from the sun :-(

    https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies#5848246017892648706


    --
    Cheers, Bev
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Please hassle me, I thrive on stress.
    The Real Bev, Mar 16, 2013
    #11
  12. The Real Bev

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:54:09 -0700, The Real Bev <> wrote:
    : On 03/12/2013 03:15 AM, DanP wrote:
    :
    : > On Monday, March 11, 2013 7:22:40 PM UTC, The Real Bev wrote:
    : >>
    : >> <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852327593564111154>
    : >>
    : <https://picasaweb.google.com/101296874153815214009/Movies?noredirect=1#5852326413780175298>
    : >>
    : >> Any idea what might be causing this?
    : >
    : > I'd say high ISO. Can you set the fps to a lower value? That would
    : > give the camera more time for exposure therefore a chance to lower
    : > the ISO.
    :
    : ISO was set to either 100 or Auto. I set the video to HD, but there's
    : no separate fps setting; I would assume a lower fps for a higher
    : resolution, but I could be wrong.

    Isn't there a standard video frame rate, as there is (was?) for filmed movies?
    Shooting at a non-standard frame rate would, absent a corresponding setting on
    the projector, make the action move artificially faster or slower.

    Or am I just exposing my abysmal ignorance of how videos are done? I'm a still
    photographer who hasn't shot any movies since my kids were younger than my
    grandchildren are now.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 16, 2013
    #12
  13. The Real Bev

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:56:14 -0700, The Real Bev <> wrote:
    : On 03/12/2013 07:27 AM, George Kerby wrote:
    : > Set your white balance to 5500 or the <sun> setting. Take it off AWB.
    :
    : Going skiing again next week -- I'll set it for 'sun'.
    :
    : Ski season is pretty much over for this year. Bummer.

    New England got clobbered by a massive snowstorm a week ago. Most of it has
    melted here, but the slopes up north were saying the other day that they now
    hope to operate right through April.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 16, 2013
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Petit Alexi

    where to buy "pink sparkley coaster or mousemats"

    Petit Alexi, Oct 6, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    612
    Petit Alexi
    Oct 7, 2003
  2. Help Wanted

    Pink

    Help Wanted, Nov 29, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    732
    Parko
    Nov 29, 2004
  3. Kaz

    Pink monitor

    Kaz, Dec 31, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    5,859
    Toolman Tim
    Jan 2, 2005
  4. Evan Platt

    Anyone here get the pink slip from wanadoo?

    Evan Platt, May 26, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    1,002
  5. richard
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    540
Loading...

Share This Page