    a track of what to give it. What I am after is a simple ping like program
    that will ping the entire network ad report all the IP address in use.

    Many thanx
    Kimball K Kinnison, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Kimball K Kinnison

    ilmc Guest

    In news:bl9if7$9kqoc$-berlin.de,
    Kimball K Kinnison <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> typed:
    > Could anyone recommend a free ping utility that will report all the IP
    > addresses use on my local network. I have a mixed network with XP
    > machines, Linux machines, Pocket PC a wireless access point and
    > embedded linux device. Most of the IP addresses are provided by my
    > DCHP server but some (like the eLinux) device has to be added
    > manually and it is getting difficult to keep a track of what to give
    > it. What I am after is a simple ping like program that will ping the
    > entire network ad report all the IP address in use.
    >
    > Many thanx

    I dom't know of such software, but I'm sure it exists.
    My DCHP server is set to reserve a block of local IP addresses for things I
    want fixed, and the its only a matter of typing the fixed IPs into a spread
    sheet so I don't forget.
    HTH
    ilmc, Sep 29, 2003

  3. "ilmc" <ilmc@notathome..invalid> wrote in message

    > In news:bl9if7$9kqoc$-berlin.de,
    > Kimball K Kinnison <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> typed:
    > > Could anyone recommend a free ping utility that will report all the IP
    > > addresses use on my local network. I have a mixed network with XP
    > > machines, Linux machines, Pocket PC a wireless access point and
    > > embedded linux device. Most of the IP addresses are provided by my
    > > DCHP server but some (like the eLinux) device has to be added
    > > manually and it is getting difficult to keep a track of what to give
    > > it. What I am after is a simple ping like program that will ping the
    > > entire network ad report all the IP address in use.
    > >
    > > Many thanx

    > I dom't know of such software, but I'm sure it exists.
    > My DCHP server is set to reserve a block of local IP addresses for things

    > want fixed, and the its only a matter of typing the fixed IPs into a

    spread
    > sheet so I don't forget.
    > HTH

    Hi - thanks for that - My DHCP server is an XP Pro Box - can this be made to
    reserve a block of local IP addresses>
    Kimball K Kinnison, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Kimball K Kinnison

    Rob B Guest

    Sysmon.

    It's a unix app that one of the guys I worked with developed.
    http://www.sysmon.org/

    It can ping, ping http, ...

    Rob B, Sep 29, 2003
  5. Kimball K Kinnison

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:17:47 +0100, "Kimball K Kinnison"
    <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> wrote:

    Ah, a sensible name.

    >Could anyone recommend a free ping utility that will report all the IP
    >addresses use on my local network. I have a mixed network with XP machines,

    You have to at least know the start / end IP. Saves having to ping 1-254
    each time.

    >Linux machines, Pocket PC a wireless access point and embedded linux device.
    >Most of the IP addresses are provided by my DCHP server but some (like the
    >eLinux) device has to be added manually and it is getting difficult to keep

    On my DHCP, router I have fixed 196.168.0.1 + reserve 10 for DHCP then
    ..12 / .13 / .14 etc are all static. Makes things a bit easier, and so
    far there is not more then 10. That's not hard to remember :)

    You said in a later post it's XP Pro, so there is no DHCP lease
    reporting tool? Mind you is't most likely linked to some SQL Server
    requirement knowning MS.

    Have not used XP DHCP yet, can you use M-DHCP, i.e. Manual DHCP. On the
    system we use at work (for fixed IP holes in the firewall). you select
    the IP/enter hostname MAC and change the DHCP type from D-DHCP to
    M-DHCP.

    The may be a MS newsgroup for this as well,
    have a look at the listing microsoft.public.windowsxp.*
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp

    Just firing up the XP Pro system, maybe I can find something further if
    I have the time.

    >a track of what to give it. What I am after is a simple ping like program
    >that will ping the entire network ad report all the IP address in use.

    Lots of little apps, www.google.com search for 'freeware ping'

    On my ISPs tucows mirror
    http://tucows.blueyonder.co.uk/monitor95_default.html

    There is always a bit of a perl script, I did it outputs the responses
    to a webpage with a red/green icon. It's not too large to paste in a
    msg. Except you don't get the 2 gifs, make your own.

    Me
    why?, Sep 29, 2003
  6. Kimball K Kinnison

    PJB Guest

    > Hi - thanks for that - My DHCP server is an XP Pro Box -

    can this be made to
    > reserve a block of local IP addresses>

    Don't think XP Pro has a DHCP server built in, can't find it
    if it has ;-) Are you sure you're not using 3rd party
    software to provide DHCP, or your router perhaps?.
    Either way, your DHCP server will be using a "pool" of
    addresses, you just need to find out what this pool is. Then
    just keep track of addresses you use outside of the pool.

    P.
    PJB, Sep 29, 2003
  7. Kimball K Kinnison

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:22:15 +0100, "Kimball K Kinnison"
    <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> wrote:

    >"ilmc" <ilmc@notathome..invalid> wrote in message
    >>

    >> In news:bl9if7$9kqoc$-berlin.de,
    >> Kimball K Kinnison <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> typed:
    >> > Could anyone recommend a free ping utility that will report all the IP
    >> > addresses use on my local network. I have a mixed network with XP
    >> > machines, Linux machines, Pocket PC a wireless access point and

    <snip>

    >Hi - thanks for that - My DHCP server is an XP Pro Box - can this be made to
    >reserve a block of local IP addresses>

    DHCP server, native to XP Pro?
    Are you using a 3rd party utility?
    Is it 169.254 IP addresses?

    Me
    why?, Sep 29, 2003
  8. "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:22:15 +0100, "Kimball K Kinnison"
    > <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >"ilmc" <ilmc@notathome..invalid> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> In news:bl9if7$9kqoc$-berlin.de,
    > >> Kimball K Kinnison <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> typed:

    IP

    > <snip>
    >

    > >Hi - thanks for that - My DHCP server is an XP Pro Box - can this be made

    > >reserve a block of local IP addresses>
    > >

    > DHCP server, native to XP Pro?
    > Are you using a 3rd party utility?
    > Is it 169.254 IP addresses?
    >
    > Me

    I am using the ICS of the XP Pro Box - all IP addresses are in the range
    192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254
    Kimball K Kinnison, Sep 29, 2003
  9. Kimball K Kinnison

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:41:35 +0100, "Kimball K Kinnison"
    <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> wrote:

    >> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:22:15 +0100, "Kimball K Kinnison"
    >> <nospam@(nospam)yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"ilmc" <ilmc@notathome..invalid> wrote in message

    >IP

    >> <snip>
    >>

    >> >Hi - thanks for that - My DHCP server is an XP Pro Box - can this be made

    >> >reserve a block of local IP addresses>
    >> >

    >> DHCP server, native to XP Pro?
    >> Are you using a 3rd party utility?
    >> Is it 169.254 IP addresses?
    >>
    >> Me

    >I am using the ICS of the XP Pro Box - all IP addresses are in the range
    >192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254

    Ok, so it's not really a DHCP server (it's called a DHCP allocator, a
    simple service) and it's the ICS IP range not the APIPA one.

    I can't enable ICS/DHCP here, would mess up other things.

    www.google.com or http://support.microsoft.com look for the PSS ID
    numbers.

    How to Configure a Static Client for Windows XP Internet Connection
    Sharing
    PSS ID Number: 309642
    Article Last Modified on 8/6/2002

    The registry settings look like they live at -
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ICSharing

    Don't know a way to get the9used IPs) info out, except by one of the
    utils from the earlier links for tucows etc.

    Me
    why?, Sep 29, 2003
  10. Kimball K Kinnison

    ilmc Guest

    <snip>
    Didn't mean to ignore this thread, but had to go home, and then Mrs. was on
    the home m/c...
    Hope the other guys /guyesses have sorted things
    ilmc, Sep 29, 2003