    ~~~~~~~~~
    My Websites and Voice Chat Room: http://tinyurl.com/yvw45
    Where I Hang Out: http://www.there.com
    Preesi, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Preesi

    °Mike° Guest

    You DON'T want it on your system.

    http://www.desaware.com/products/universalnet/spyworks/index.aspx

    "Windows and Keyboard Hooks
    Windows hooks provide a mechanism to intercept messages (including
    mouse, system or keyboard messages) before they reach their target
    window. Desaware's hook technology allows you to reliably define the
    scope of the hook, from a specific thread or window, to the entire
    system.

    SpyWorks 7.1 introduced a native .NET hook component,
    Desaware.Spyworksdotnet, that connects directly to the proven
    Desaware hook engine."

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:21:06 -0400, in
    <>
    Preesi scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2004

  3. Preesi

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:21:06 -0400, "Preesi" <> wrote:

    > How's that?
    >Speaking on Spyware removers, my AOL Spyware protection told me I had a
    >keylogger on my comp, called Spyworks or DWSpy.dll.
    >It disabled it, but the two dll files are on there and Im unsure whether
    >to delete them.
    >What is this proggy?

    To expand on Mike's reply, keyloggers look for your passwords among other
    things, and send them on to crooks to be exploited. Try a Google search...
    Results 1 - 100 of about 9,080 for malware "keylogger".
    http://tinyurl.com/yruu7

    A Google search of keylogger "Spyworks"
    http://tinyurl.com/2c8kl

    Spyware resources: Use them all, and use them regularly.

    Ad-Aware by Lavasoft
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spybot - Search & Destroy by Patrick Kolla
    http://security.kolla.de/
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    NOTE: After you install the above, click "Online" and get the latest
    updates for the database. Update it regularly for new spy info.

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (Removes browser hijacker known as CoolWebSearch)

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip

    Advertising Spyware: Blackstone Data Transponder and its derivatives
    http://www.cexx.org/vx2.htm

    Here's an option to scan your PC under "Do You Have Parasites?"
    http://www.aumha.org/a/noads.htm
    Unk, Jul 9, 2004
  4. Preesi

    Preesi Guest

    Unk wrote:
    > On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:21:06 -0400, "Preesi" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> How's that?
    >> Speaking on Spyware removers, my AOL Spyware protection told me I
    >> had a keylogger on my comp, called Spyworks or DWSpy.dll.
    >> It disabled it, but the two dll files are on there and Im unsure
    >> whether to delete them.
    >> What is this proggy?

    > To expand on Mike's reply, keyloggers look for your passwords among
    > other things, and send them on to crooks to be exploited. Try a
    > Google search... Results 1 - 100 of about 9,080 for malware
    > "keylogger". http://tinyurl.com/yruu7
    >

    > A Google search of keylogger "Spyworks"
    > http://tinyurl.com/2c8kl

    Okay....
    Thats what I thought, But how did it get there?
    It was only there for 3 days and I didnt type out any passwords so Im
    fine.
    Dont Keyloggers get on comps PHYSICALLY?
    As opposed to thru email, websites and other?

    --
    preesi
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Preesi, Jul 9, 2004
  5. Preesi

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 20:31:28 -0400, "Preesi" <> wrote:

    >Unk wrote:
    >> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:21:06 -0400, "Preesi" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> How's that?
    >>> Speaking on Spyware removers, my AOL Spyware protection told me I
    >>> had a keylogger on my comp, called Spyworks or DWSpy.dll.
    >>> It disabled it, but the two dll files are on there and Im unsure
    >>> whether to delete them.
    >>> What is this proggy?

    >> To expand on Mike's reply, keyloggers look for your passwords among
    >> other things, and send them on to crooks to be exploited. Try a
    >> Google search... Results 1 - 100 of about 9,080 for malware
    >> "keylogger". http://tinyurl.com/yruu7
    >>

    >> A Google search of keylogger "Spyworks"
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2c8kl

    >Okay....
    >Thats what I thought, But how did it get there?
    >It was only there for 3 days and I didnt type out any passwords so Im
    >fine.
    >Dont Keyloggers get on comps PHYSICALLY?
    >As opposed to thru email, websites and other?

    You get them through exploits in Java, IE and OE. You also get them by
    downloading software from warez and mp3 groups. You can even activate them
    by clicking "OK" instead of "No" on those popups that some web sites throw
    at you. There are so many ways, that dozens of companies are in business
    doing nothing else but spying on you and your habits for advertisers, crooks
    trying to steal from you, hackers just trying to see if they can, and script
    kiddies trying to screw up your computer just for the fun of it.

    You can protect yourself by using a firewall, AV software, and common sense.
    Install all Windows updates and patches.
    Never click on an executable from a website. (exe, com, scr, bat, vbf, etc.)
    Know your source before you download from them.
    Use software with less flaws when security counts.. Netscape or Mozilla
    instead of IE, Endura or Agent instead of OE.
    Unk, Jul 9, 2004
  6. Preesi

    Preesi Guest

    Unk wrote:

    > You can protect yourself by using a firewall, AV software, and common
    > sense. Install all Windows updates and patches.
    > Never click on an executable from a website. (exe, com, scr, bat,
    > vbf, etc.) Know your source before you download from them.
    > Use software with less flaws when security counts.. Netscape or
    > Mozilla instead of IE, Endura or Agent instead of OE.

    I already do all that!
    :))))))
    Ive even been known to d/l things on floppies on a rent a comp at Kinkos
    and run it thru a/v JUST to see if a link is clean!

    --
    preesi
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Preesi, Jul 9, 2004
  7. Preesi

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:23:57 -0400, "Preesi" <> wrote:

    >Unk wrote:
    >
    >> You can protect yourself by using a firewall, AV software, and common
    >> sense. Install all Windows updates and patches.
    >> Never click on an executable from a website. (exe, com, scr, bat,
    >> vbf, etc.) Know your source before you download from them.
    >> Use software with less flaws when security counts.. Netscape or
    >> Mozilla instead of IE, Endura or Agent instead of OE.

    >I already do all that!
    >:))))))
    >Ive even been known to d/l things on floppies on a rent a comp at Kinkos
    >and run it thru a/v JUST to see if a link is clean!

    Sometimes, your AV software can't see a virus because it's packed.
    I use a program called UltraEdit to examine any questionable downloads.
    http://www.ultraedit.com/ I look for things like "UPX" in them. ( Ultimate
    Packer for eXecutables) http://upx.sourceforge.net/
    A virus can be packed and pass a virus check. By the time your AV catches
    it during the unpacking, it's too late. The one and only time I caught a
    virus was when it was packed by UPX. Fortunately, it was easy to get rid of.
    Sometimes, I even check them with programs like "eXescope" and "Restorator".
    Unk, Jul 9, 2004
  8. Preesi

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 21:55:59 -0400, in
    <>
    Unk scrawled:

    >On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:23:57 -0400, "Preesi" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Unk wrote:
    >>
    >>> You can protect yourself by using a firewall, AV software, and common
    >>> sense. Install all Windows updates and patches.
    >>> Never click on an executable from a website. (exe, com, scr, bat,
    >>> vbf, etc.) Know your source before you download from them.
    >>> Use software with less flaws when security counts.. Netscape or
    >>> Mozilla instead of IE, Endura or Agent instead of OE.

    >>I already do all that!
    >>:))))))
    >>Ive even been known to d/l things on floppies on a rent a comp at Kinkos
    >>and run it thru a/v JUST to see if a link is clean!

    >Sometimes, your AV software can't see a virus because it's packed.
    >I use a program called UltraEdit to examine any questionable downloads.
    >http://www.ultraedit.com/ I look for things like "UPX" in them. ( Ultimate
    >Packer for eXecutables) http://upx.sourceforge.net/
    >A virus can be packed and pass a virus check. By the time your AV catches
    >it during the unpacking, it's too late. The one and only time I caught a
    >virus was when it was packed by UPX. Fortunately, it was easy to get rid of.
    >Sometimes, I even check them with programs like "eXescope" and "Restorator".

    It would have to be a brand new packer to get past Kaspersky;
    KAV has THE best unpack routine checkers of ANY antivirus, bar
    none. I've yet to find a packed nasty that it can't recognise,
    and if I did, Kaspersky Labs would have a solution (probably)
    the same day.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 9, 2004
  9. Preesi

    Unk Guest

    Thanks. If I come across another one packed with UPX, I'll upload it to my
    FTP for you to check with KAV.

    Unk, Jul 9, 2004
  10. Preesi

    °Mike° Guest

    No problem; you can also have KAV test single
    files (up to 1MB) online.
    http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus

    Anything that is suspicious, and doesn't get
    tagged can be zipped and submitted for further
    inspection to:

    Email replies to file submissions are always
    fast; my experience is between 2 hours and
    12 hours.

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:44:28 -0400, in
    <>
    Unk scrawled:

    >Thanks. If I come across another one packed with UPX, I'll
    >upload it to my FTP for you to check with KAV.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 9, 2004
  11. Preesi

    joevan Guest

    wrote:

    >On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 21:55:59 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Unk scrawled:

    >>>I already do all that!
    >>>:))))))
    >>>Ive even been known to d/l things on floppies on a rent a comp at Kinkos
    >>>and run it thru a/v JUST to see if a link is clean!

    >>Sometimes, your AV software can't see a virus because it's packed.
    >>I use a program called UltraEdit to examine any questionable downloads.
    >>http://www.ultraedit.com/ I look for things like "UPX" in them. ( Ultimate
    >>Packer for eXecutables) http://upx.sourceforge.net/
    >>A virus can be packed and pass a virus check. By the time your AV catches
    >>it during the unpacking, it's too late. The one and only time I caught a
    >>virus was when it was packed by UPX. Fortunately, it was easy to get rid of.
    >>Sometimes, I even check them with programs like "eXescope" and "Restorator".

    >It would have to be a brand new packer to get past Kaspersky;
    >KAV has THE best unpack routine checkers of ANY antivirus, bar
    >none. I've yet to find a packed nasty that it can't recognise,
    >and if I did, Kaspersky Labs would have a solution (probably)
    >the same day.

    Just an interesting addition to this. I have an older computer
    downstairs that has a file with old jokes, Kaspersky said a file had a
    virus.
    Then it found the same thing in the deleted, compressed email that it
    originally came in. I guess that is right. I mean when you delete an
    email it would seem that the virus info is still there unless it had
    been quarantined by another virus check. ??
    joevan
    joevan, Jul 10, 2004
  12. Preesi

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 09:39:49 GMT, in
    <>
    joevan scrawled:

    <snip>

    >Just an interesting addition to this. I have an older computer
    >downstairs that has a file with old jokes, Kaspersky said a file had a
    >virus.
    >Then it found the same thing in the deleted, compressed email that it
    >originally came in. I guess that is right. I mean when you delete an
    >email it would seem that the virus info is still there unless it had
    >been quarantined by another virus check. ??
    >joevan

    That depends on what the virus came as (.vbs, .exe, .scr etc.),
    and if the attachments was cleaned out correctly, or just put
    into the trash can.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 11, 2004
  13. As an employee of Desaware, I find the last response to your query
    rude and self serving. SpyWorks was developed over 10 years ago as a
    legitimate software solution for VB developers, long before the term
    'spy ware' was created.

    In order to determine if the file you found is a problem (99% of the
    time it is not), copy the file to a disk (or CD) and then delete the
    file. Eventually, when you load the program that utilizes the file,
    you will receive an error message requesting the file. Then simply
    copy the file to the requested directory.

    I take offense to the response earlier, because the respondent simply
    noted that you do not want the Desaware file on your system and
    attached a commercial for their product. They never mentioned that
    Desaware products have been used by developers for years and that
    deleting the file might disable one of your programs.

    Should you have any other questions, feel free to contact our tech
    support department at 408/404-4760. M. Kicklighter

    M. Kicklighter, Jul 28, 2004
  14. M. Kicklighter wrote:

    > As an employee of Desaware, I find the last response to your query
    > rude and self serving. SpyWorks was developed over 10 years ago as a
    > legitimate software solution for VB developers, long before the term
    > 'spy ware' was created.

    Even if that is true (and I'm not going to dig out the introduction date
    of your software or the first recorded usage of the term "syyware"),
    how does it being coded before a *term* was coined prove that it wasn't
    what later came to be called by that term.

    What you're claiming is like saying that nobody suffered from the
    disease we call polio until it was *named* polio.

    I'm not saying it's is or isn't spyware. I'm only saying that the
    argument you're pressing, there, makes no logical sense at all.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    An Important Health Reminder http://snipurl.com/healthyshark
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 28, 2004
  15. Preesi

    °Mike° Guest

    On 27 Jul 2004 16:07:43 -0700, in
    <>
    M. Kicklighter scrawled:

    >As an employee of Desaware, I find the last response to your query
    >rude

    Please explain exactly how it was rude.

    >and self serving.

    Please explain exactly how it was self serving.

    >SpyWorks was developed over 10 years ago as a legitimate software
    >solution for VB developers,

    Big deal; so what? What has that got to do with the fact that
    the original poster has a Desaware keylogger on her personal
    system, without having put it there herself?

    > long before the term 'spy ware' was created.

    Yeah, I've heard that one before.

    >In order to determine if the file you found is a problem

    This time it is -- it's patently NOT wanted, ergo it's a problem.

    >(99% of the time it is not),

    Please explain that comment, and the figure you quote.

    > copy the file to a disk (or CD) and then delete the file.

    Yeah, right. (1)

    >Eventually, when you load the program that utilizes the file,
    >you will receive an error message requesting the file. Then simply
    >copy the file to the requested directory.

    This file has been identified as a SpyWorks component,
    and all available information on the net suggests that
    this is the only identifiable product that uses a file of
    that name. Are you suggesting that it is NOT from SpyWorks?

    >I take offense to the response earlier, because the respondent simply
    >noted that you do not want the Desaware file on your system

    If the original poster had installed SpyWorks on their system,
    don't you think that they would be aware of that small fact?

    >and attached a commercial for their product. They never mentioned
    >that Desaware products have been used by developers for years

    Where did the OP say that she is/was a developer, and where
    did he/she say that SpyWorks, or even Desaware was known
    to them?

    >and that deleting the file might disable one of your programs.

    (1) Like your suggestion, do you mean?

    Of course she wants the key logger disabled, she never put it there.

    >Should you have any other questions, feel free to contact our tech
    >support department at 408/404-4760. M. Kicklighter

    If you took such offence at my reply, why didn't you just come
    right out and tell the original poster EXACTLY what this file is,
    what it does, and how it might have got onto her system, instead
    of expecting a nice private telephone conversation, hmm?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 28, 2004
  16. Preesi

    JamesBenson Guest

    As far as I could see, mike's mum is his dad and vica versa, well I was
    stood next to them

    JamesBenson, Jul 29, 2004