    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be
    Freedom For The World 10/17/05 9:57:13 PM
    http://www.nuboy-industries.com

    Old Gringo, Oct 18, 2005

  2. Old Gringo

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:02:28 GMT, Old Gringo wrote:

    >ToolMan Tim. I am running Win98se on a fairly good computer AMD

    Isn't that an insult to the CPU, running that OS?

    When I put WIn98SE on a box last week it was 192MB P2 300Mhz something.
    Wouldn't use anything better :)

    >Athlon 64XP 2000+. Would you please take a look at the link below
    >and let me know what you think. Also will I be able to partition my
    >HD 40Gb. and install it and keep my Win98se installed.

    If you have free space on the disk, then it's always been okay. Still
    backup important files.

    If you don't have free space (and I haven't run any partition software
    on my Athlon x64 yet) the usual thing to do is -

    Backup important files / test restore.
    Scandisk , optional.
    Defrag, free up space at the end of the disk.
    Repartition.
    Boot from XP CD, select the free space to create a partition and install
    to the new partition.

    >http://www.edirectsoftware.com/WindowsXP-COA.html

    Looks okay, although watch out for this bit.

    *This product is NOT an upgrade. To use this you must uninstall your
    previous operating system, then install this one. Or you may install
    this on a new system.

    Don't know if this is a Dell custom requirement as part of the install.

    The MS boxed XPs u/g and full go on as dual boot with existing OS okay.

    >I'll get back with you.

    Me

    why?, Oct 18, 2005

  3. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:14:33 GMT, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk News
    Group, Without Any Hesitation why? Wrote The Following:

    > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:02:28 GMT, Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >>ToolMan Tim. I am running Win98se on a fairly good computer AMD

    > Isn't that an insult to the CPU, running that OS?
    >
    > When I put WIn98SE on a box last week it was 192MB P2 300Mhz something.
    > Wouldn't use anything better :)
    >
    >>Athlon 64XP 2000+. Would you please take a look at the link below
    >>and let me know what you think. Also will I be able to partition my
    >>HD 40Gb. and install it and keep my Win98se installed.

    > If you have free space on the disk, then it's always been okay. Still
    > backup important files.
    >
    > If you don't have free space (and I haven't run any partition software
    > on my Athlon x64 yet) the usual thing to do is -
    >
    > Backup important files / test restore.
    > Scandisk , optional.
    > Defrag, free up space at the end of the disk.
    > Repartition.
    > Boot from XP CD, select the free space to create a partition and install
    > to the new partition.
    >
    >>http://www.edirectsoftware.com/WindowsXP-COA.html

    > Looks okay, although watch out for this bit.
    >
    > *This product is NOT an upgrade. To use this you must uninstall your
    > previous operating system, then install this one. Or you may install
    > this on a new system.
    >
    > Don't know if this is a Dell custom requirement as part of the install.
    >
    > The MS boxed XPs u/g and full go on as dual boot with existing OS okay.
    >
    >>I'll get back with you.

    > Me

    Good Morning Why;
    Thank you for the information. I believe I will be able to get the
    job done ok. And for the Win98se on this machine, it is what I had
    from my old computer and served me quite well over the years. I am
    now in the process of getting some new software for that is only
    compatible with Win 2000 or Win XP and that is the only reason for
    the change. Thanks again.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be
    Freedom For The World 10/18/05 8:34:19 AM
    http://www.nuboy-industries.com

    Old Gringo, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Old Gringo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > ToolMan Tim. I am running Win98se on a fairly good computer AMD
    > Athlon 64XP 2000+. Would you please take a look at the link below
    > and let me know what you think. Also will I be able to partition my
    > HD 40Gb. and install it and keep my Win98se installed.
    > http://www.edirectsoftware.com/WindowsXP-COA.html
    > I'll get back with you.

    Here's what I think. I think those are RTM/SP1 dumps.

    When Dell started shipping PCs with XP Pro and SP2 on them, they probably
    had a backstock of SP1 discs/COAs. So they probably dumped them. As in sold
    at auction or direct to

    I've used these same discs and installed them on other branded PCs a couple
    of times. Yes, they activate, yes, they allowed SP2 to install, yes, Windows
    Update works. That price is nice. But do you need XP Pro? You can shop for
    XP Home and find it for much less.

    BTW, I can't believe they are selling an XP Pro CD w/no COA for $75! That
    isn't worth $1, since you can get a copy of the CD from anybody. The COA is
    what is important. In fact, I usually buy XP Home OEM COA stickers for about
    $55, no CD. I have the disc. I just need the sticker with the CD-Key on it
    for systems I build.

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 18, 2005
  5. Old Gringo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:14:33 GMT, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk News
    > Group, Without Any Hesitation why? Wrote The Following:
    >
    >> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:02:28 GMT, Old Gringo wrote:
    >>
    >>> ToolMan Tim. I am running Win98se on a fairly good computer AMD

    >> Isn't that an insult to the CPU, running that OS?
    >>
    >> When I put WIn98SE on a box last week it was 192MB P2 300Mhz
    >> something. Wouldn't use anything better :)
    >>
    >>> Athlon 64XP 2000+. Would you please take a look at the link below
    >>> and let me know what you think. Also will I be able to partition my
    >>> HD 40Gb. and install it and keep my Win98se installed.

    >> If you have free space on the disk, then it's always been okay. Still
    >> backup important files.
    >>
    >> If you don't have free space (and I haven't run any partition
    >> software on my Athlon x64 yet) the usual thing to do is -
    >>
    >> Backup important files / test restore.
    >> Scandisk , optional.
    >> Defrag, free up space at the end of the disk.
    >> Repartition.
    >> Boot from XP CD, select the free space to create a partition and
    >> install to the new partition.
    >>
    >>> http://www.edirectsoftware.com/WindowsXP-COA.html

    >> Looks okay, although watch out for this bit.
    >>
    >> *This product is NOT an upgrade. To use this you must uninstall your
    >> previous operating system, then install this one. Or you may install
    >> this on a new system.
    >>
    >> Don't know if this is a Dell custom requirement as part of the
    >> install.
    >>
    >> The MS boxed XPs u/g and full go on as dual boot with existing OS
    >> okay.
    >>
    >>> I'll get back with you.

    >> Me

    > Good Morning Why;
    > Thank you for the information. I believe I will be able to get the
    > job done ok. And for the Win98se on this machine, it is what I had
    > from my old computer and served me quite well over the years. I am
    > now in the process of getting some new software for that is only
    > compatible with Win 2000 or Win XP and that is the only reason for
    > the change. Thanks again.

    Don't use Microsoft's FDISK to repartition though - it's fatal. You'll lose
    everything.

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 18, 2005
  6. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    Thank You for that info.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be
    Freedom For The World 10/18/05 7:48:28 PM
    http://www.nuboy-industries.com

    Old Gringo, Oct 19, 2005
  7. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:51:52 -0700, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    News Group, Without Any Hesitation Toolman Tim Wrote The Following:

    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >> ToolMan Tim. I am running Win98se on a fairly good computer AMD
    >> Athlon 64XP 2000+. Would you please take a look at the link below
    >> and let me know what you think. Also will I be able to partition my
    >> HD 40Gb. and install it and keep my Win98se installed.
    >> http://www.edirectsoftware.com/WindowsXP-COA.html
    >> I'll get back with you.

    > Here's what I think. I think those are RTM/SP1 dumps.
    >
    > When Dell started shipping PCs with XP Pro and SP2 on them, they probably
    > had a backstock of SP1 discs/COAs. So they probably dumped them. As in sold
    > at auction or direct to
    >
    > I've used these same discs and installed them on other branded PCs a couple
    > of times. Yes, they activate, yes, they allowed SP2 to install, yes, Windows
    > Update works. That price is nice. But do you need XP Pro? You can shop for
    > XP Home and find it for much less.
    >
    > BTW, I can't believe they are selling an XP Pro CD w/no COA for $75! That
    > isn't worth $1, since you can get a copy of the CD from anybody. The COA is
    > what is important. In fact, I usually buy XP Home OEM COA stickers for about
    > $55, no CD. I have the disc. I just need the sticker with the CD-Key on it
    > for systems I build.

    Thanks ToolMan Tim, I will investigate further.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be
    Freedom For The World 10/18/05 7:49:07 PM
    http://www.nuboy-industries.com

    Old Gringo, Oct 19, 2005
  8. Old Gringo

    Plato Guest

    why? wrote:

    > >ToolMan Tim. I am running Win98se on a fairly good computer AMD

    > Isn't that an insult to the CPU, running that OS?

    Not at all. Win98SE is a good, easy to fix, OS.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 19, 2005