Ping: Tim Conway

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by philo , Apr 25, 2013.

  1. philo

    philo  Guest

    philo , Apr 25, 2013

  2. philo

    philo  Guest

    Re: Tim Conway

    On 04/24/2013 09:50 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
    > "philo " <philo@privcy.not> wrote in message
    >> Thanks to your good advice I ordered the G1-X and it arrived a few hours
    >> ago. Have not read the manual yet, but here is one if my first shots:
    >>

    >> https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/931180_613561355337904_1445750299_n.jpg
    >>

    >> Though the resolution was reducedto display on-line, the image is *very*
    >> sharp. Looks like a great camera.
    >>
    >> My first shoot is scheduled for tomorrow and I will be using both the G1-X
    >> and my 50D

    > philo,
    > What sold me on it was dpreview's write-up on it. They gave a really good
    > review.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong1x

    Yes, it pretty much beat the Coolpix I had looked at first.
    Plus it's more compact. The lens is really sharp. Possibly even better
    than the one I have on my 50D which I originally bought with a 35mm Rebel.

    philo , Apr 25, 2013

  3. Re: Tim Conway

    In article <kla1ia$dac$>,
    "Tim Conway" <> wrote:

    > "philo " <philo@privcy.not> wrote in message
    > > Thanks to your good advice I ordered the G1-X and it arrived a few hours
    > > ago. Have not read the manual yet, but here is one if my first shots:
    > >

    > > https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/931180_613561355337904_
    > > 1445750299_n.jpg
    > >

    > > Though the resolution was reducedto display on-line, the image is *very*
    > > sharp. Looks like a great camera.
    > >
    > > My first shoot is scheduled for tomorrow and I will be using both the G1-X
    > > and my 50D

    > Good photo. I'm glad I could be of help. I don't have first hand
    > experience with this camera, but from what I've read it really looks like a
    > good substitute for a DSLR. I'm thinking of getting one before too long.
    > Happy shooting!
    > Tim

    Tim & Philo-

    I'm impressed by its sharpness and low-light capability, but three
    things bug me about my G1-X:

    1. Between pressing the button and having an exposure, people have
    sometimes moved out of the frame, even when pre-focusing by holding the
    button half way down. I think it is as slow as any camera I've ever
    tried.

    2. The closest focusing distance when zoomed to maximum focal length,
    is what I believe to be the best distance for portraits. That is close
    to where Philo's subject appears to be located. (A wide angle shot would work if you
    don't mind a subject with a big nose!)

    3. When a subject is near the closest focusing distance, after pre-
    focusing, focus will sometimes jump from the subject's face to a distant
    background when the exposure is made.

    Searching for reviews, I found others with similar complaints. I don't
    think my camera is any more "broken" than any other. Mine was from
    early production, so it will be interesting to find out if Philo's recent copy is improved.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Apr 25, 2013
  4. philo

    Tim Conway Guest

    Re: Tim Conway

    Tim Conway, Apr 25, 2013
  5. philo

    philo  Guest

    Re: Tim Conway

    On 04/24/2013 09:38 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
    > In article <kla1ia$dac$>,
    > "Tim Conway" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "philo " <philo@privcy.not> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks to your good advice I ordered the G1-X and it arrived a few hours
    >>> ago. Have not read the manual yet, but here is one if my first shots:
    >>>

    >>> https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/931180_613561355337904_
    >>> 1445750299_n.jpg
    >>>

    >>> Though the resolution was reducedto display on-line, the image is *very*
    >>> sharp. Looks like a great camera.
    >>>
    >>> My first shoot is scheduled for tomorrow and I will be using both the G1-X
    >>> and my 50D

    >> Good photo. I'm glad I could be of help. I don't have first hand
    >> experience with this camera, but from what I've read it really looks like a
    >> good substitute for a DSLR. I'm thinking of getting one before too long.
    >> Happy shooting!
    >> Tim

    > Tim & Philo-
    >
    > I'm impressed by its sharpness and low-light capability, but three
    > things bug me about my G1-X:
    >
    > 1. Between pressing the button and having an exposure, people have
    > sometimes moved out of the frame, even when pre-focusing by holding the
    > button half way down. I think it is as slow as any camera I've ever
    > tried.
    >
    > 2. The closest focusing distance when zoomed to maximum focal length,
    > is what I believe to be the best distance for portraits. That is close
    > to where Philo's subject appears to be located. (A wide angle shot would work if you
    > don't mind a subject with a big nose!)
    >
    > 3. When a subject is near the closest focusing distance, after pre-
    > focusing, focus will sometimes jump from the subject's face to a distant
    > background when the exposure is made.
    >
    > Searching for reviews, I found others with similar complaints. I don't
    > think my camera is any more "broken" than any other. Mine was from
    > early production, so it will be interesting to find out if Philo's recent copy is improved.
    >
    > Fred

    It may take me a while to fully get used to the camera and find any
    idiosyncrasies. More than likely the camera I have is identical to yours
    but somewhere down the road, Canon may have a firmware update if enough
    users complain.

    Bottom line: No camera is perfect, but I am very impressed with the
    camera thus far. (This is still day one of course.)

    philo , Apr 25, 2013
  6. philo

    Tim Conway Guest

    Re: Tim Conway

    Tim Conway, Apr 25, 2013
  7. philo

    philo  Guest

    Photo shoot today

    Used the G1-X

    I felt familiar enough with it that I did not bother to bring the 50D
    with me.

    Very pleased with the results.

    Did notice a delay between shots...by no means as fast at the 50D, but I
    can live with that.

    After the shoot was over I also needed to get some "sneak" shots of one
    of the subjects, as my wife has gotten a commission to do a portrait and
    I needed to get photos...unknown.

    No one knew I was shooting .

    Also, managed to get another photo of my wife after the whole thing was
    done. In the elevator,she could not get away!

    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/904189_614002005293839_1118900_o.jpg

    philo , Apr 25, 2013
  8. philo

    philo  Guest

    Re: Photo shoot today

    On 04/25/2013 07:44 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
    > "ph
    >>

    >> https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/904189_614002005293839_1118900_o.jpg
    >>

    > I'm glad it's working out. The delay is probably the price you pay for not
    > buying a $1500+ DSLR. LOL.
    >
    > Good shot of your wife. The G1-X seems to have a good sneakiness to it.
    > :)

    As long as I know any weaknesses I can work around them.

    I am really enjoy using the rotatable viewer...
    and since I am holding the camera at waist level, no one really knows I
    am shooting.

    philo , Apr 26, 2013
  9. philo

    Tim Conway Guest

    Re: Photo shoot today

    Tim Conway, Apr 26, 2013
  10. philo

    Tim Conway Guest

    Re: Photo shoot today

    > On 04/25/2013 07:44 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
    >> "ph
    >>>

    >>> https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/904189_614002005293839_1118900_o.jpg
    >>>

    >> I'm glad it's working out. The delay is probably the price you pay for
    >> not
    >> buying a $1500+ DSLR. LOL.
    >>
    >> Good shot of your wife. The G1-X seems to have a good sneakiness to it.
    >> :)
    >>

    > As long as I know any weaknesses I can work around them.
    >

    > I am really enjoy using the rotatable viewer...
    > and since I am holding the camera at waist level, no one really knows I am
    > shooting.

    Sounds like the perfect street camera. Like to take one to New York...

    Tim Conway, Apr 26, 2013
  11. philo

    philo  Guest

    Re: Photo shoot today

    On 04/25/2013 11:20 PM, Tim Conway wrote:

    >> As long as I know any weaknesses I can work around them.
    >>

    >> I am really enjoy using the rotatable viewer...
    >> and since I am holding the camera at waist level, no one really knows I am
    >> shooting.

    > Sounds like the perfect street camera. Like to take one to New York...

    Yep, when we go to NY this year, I'll be bringing it for sure.

    FWIW: I got a favorable comment on that shot from a "famous" local
    photographer.

    philo , Apr 26, 2013
  12. philo

    Tim Conway Guest

    Re: Photo shoot today

    > On 04/25/2013 11:20 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
    >>>

    >>> As long as I know any weaknesses I can work around them.
    >>>

    >>> I am really enjoy using the rotatable viewer...
    >>> and since I am holding the camera at waist level, no one really knows I
    >>> am
    >>> shooting.

    >> Sounds like the perfect street camera. Like to take one to New York...
    >>

    > Yep, when we go to NY this year, I'll be bringing it for sure.
    >

    > FWIW: I got a favorable comment on that shot from a "famous" local
    > photographer.

    Cool. That kinda makes it worthwhile.

    Tim Conway, Apr 26, 2013
  13. philo

    philo  Guest

    Re: Photo shoot today

    On 04/26/2013 04:20 AM, Tim Conway wrote:

    >> Yep, when we go to NY this year, I'll be bringing it for sure.
    >>

    >> FWIW: I got a favorable comment on that shot from a "famous" local
    >> photographer.

    > Cool. That kinda makes it worthwhile.

    Although I do photography just for myself really, it is nice when
    someone well known in the photographic world (at least locally) gives
    you a positive comment.

    philo , Apr 26, 2013
  14. philo

    PeterN Guest

    Re: Photo shoot today

    On 4/26/2013 12:20 AM, Tim Conway wrote:
    > "philo " <philo@privcy.not> wrote in message
    >> On 04/25/2013 07:44 PM, Tim Conway wrote:
    >>> "ph

    >>> I'm glad it's working out. The delay is probably the price you pay for
    >>> not
    >>> buying a $1500+ DSLR. LOL.
    >>>
    >>> Good shot of your wife. The G1-X seems to have a good sneakiness to it.
    >>> :)
    >>>

    >> As long as I know any weaknesses I can work around them.
    >>

    >> I am really enjoy using the rotatable viewer...
    >> and since I am holding the camera at waist level, no one really knows I am
    >> shooting.

    > Sounds like the perfect street camera. Like to take one to New York...

    If you have time, give me a shout, when you are coming. If you want
    interesting street shots, the Mermaid parade, on Saturday, June 22nd it
    always fun shooting, and you don't need to shoot at waist level.
    <http://www.coneyisland.com/mermaid.shtml>

    The Coney Island-Brighten Beach area is always has interesting street
    shots. However, except for the Mermaid parade, you need to do waist
    level shooting.

    though not as gaudy, we have street festivals almost every weekend.
    (with apologies for the ads.
    <http://www.newyorkled.com/nyc_events_Street_Fairs.htm>

    When are you planning to come?

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Apr 26, 2013
  15. philo

    philo  Guest

    Re: Photo shoot today

    On 04/26/2013 08:01 AM, PeterN wrote:

    > If you have time, give me a shout, when you are coming. If you want
    > interesting street shots, the Mermaid parade, on Saturday, June 22nd it
    > always fun shooting, and you don't need to shoot at waist level.
    > <http://www.coneyisland.com/mermaid.shtml>
    >
    > The Coney Island-Brighten Beach area is always has interesting street
    > shots. However, except for the Mermaid parade, you need to do waist
    > level shooting.
    >
    > though not as gaudy, we have street festivals almost every weekend.
    > (with apologies for the ads.
    > <http://www.newyorkled.com/nyc_events_Street_Fairs.htm>
    >
    > When are you planning to come?

    We will be out the end of August.

    Most of the time we don't plan anything...we just walk as much as possible.

    We typically "hang out" between Midtown and Chelsea.

    philo , Apr 26, 2013
  16. philo

    PeterN Guest

    Re: Photo shoot today

    On 4/26/2013 9:15 AM, philo wrote:
    > On 04/26/2013 08:01 AM, PeterN wrote:
    >>

    >> If you have time, give me a shout, when you are coming. If you want
    >> interesting street shots, the Mermaid parade, on Saturday, June 22nd it
    >> always fun shooting, and you don't need to shoot at waist level.
    >> <http://www.coneyisland.com/mermaid.shtml>
    >>
    >> The Coney Island-Brighten Beach area is always has interesting street
    >> shots. However, except for the Mermaid parade, you need to do waist
    >> level shooting.
    >>
    >> though not as gaudy, we have street festivals almost every weekend.
    >> (with apologies for the ads.
    >> <http://www.newyorkled.com/nyc_events_Street_Fairs.htm>
    >>
    >> When are you planning to come?
    >>

    > We will be out the end of August.
    >
    > Most of the time we don't plan anything...we just walk as much as possible.
    >

    > We typically "hang out" between Midtown and Chelsea.

    That time of yar we frequently go to Tangelwood, in the Berkshires, or
    Maine. Give me a shout, on my email if you have time to say hello.
    BTW there are nice, hotels, but with smallish rooms, in the Chelsea
    area, for reasonable prices.
    There is a Fairfield & Garden Inn on W 26th st. They are both quiet,
    clean, comfortable and moderately priced. That is the heart of the
    Flower district, near FIT, and the streets there are full of interesting
    looking people.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Apr 26, 2013
  17. philo

    PeterN Guest

    Re: Photo shoot today

    On 4/26/2013 10:35 AM, Tim Conway wrote:
    > "philo " <philo@privcy.not> wrote in message
    >> On 04/26/2013 08:01 AM, PeterN wrote:
    >>>

    >>> If you have time, give me a shout, when you are coming. If you want
    >>> interesting street shots, the Mermaid parade, on Saturday, June 22nd it
    >>> always fun shooting, and you don't need to shoot at waist level.
    >>> <http://www.coneyisland.com/mermaid.shtml>
    >>>
    >>> The Coney Island-Brighten Beach area is always has interesting street
    >>> shots. However, except for the Mermaid parade, you need to do waist
    >>> level shooting.
    >>>
    >>> though not as gaudy, we have street festivals almost every weekend.
    >>> (with apologies for the ads.
    >>> <http://www.newyorkled.com/nyc_events_Street_Fairs.htm>
    >>>
    >>> When are you planning to come?
    >>>

    >> We will be out the end of August.
    >>
    >> Most of the time we don't plan anything...we just walk as much as
    >> possible.
    >>

    >> We typically "hang out" between Midtown and Chelsea.

    > Hah, New York to me has always been Greenwich Village..

    I went to NYU. the character of the Village has moved to the East
    Village, and Tompkins Square.

    ..ok, so I'm an old ex
    > hippie. LOL

    So was Steve Jobs.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Apr 26, 2013
  18. philo

    Tim Conway Guest

    Re: Photo shoot today

    > On 04/26/2013 04:20 AM, Tim Conway wrote:
    >>

    >>> Yep, when we go to NY this year, I'll be bringing it for sure.
    >>>

    >>> FWIW: I got a favorable comment on that shot from a "famous" local
    >>> photographer.

    >> Cool. That kinda makes it worthwhile.
    >>

    > Although I do photography just for myself really, it is nice when someone
    > well known in the photographic world (at least locally) gives you a
    > positive comment.

    I know what you mean. I likewise have had a nice comment from a pro about
    my photos. It sure made me feel good.

    Tim Conway, Apr 26, 2013
  19. philo

    Tim Conway Guest

    Re: Photo shoot today

    > On 04/26/2013 08:01 AM, PeterN wrote:
    >>

    >> If you have time, give me a shout, when you are coming. If you want
    >> interesting street shots, the Mermaid parade, on Saturday, June 22nd it
    >> always fun shooting, and you don't need to shoot at waist level.
    >> <http://www.coneyisland.com/mermaid.shtml>
    >>
    >> The Coney Island-Brighten Beach area is always has interesting street
    >> shots. However, except for the Mermaid parade, you need to do waist
    >> level shooting.
    >>
    >> though not as gaudy, we have street festivals almost every weekend.
    >> (with apologies for the ads.
    >> <http://www.newyorkled.com/nyc_events_Street_Fairs.htm>
    >>
    >> When are you planning to come?
    >>

    > We will be out the end of August.
    >
    > Most of the time we don't plan anything...we just walk as much as
    > possible.
    >

    > We typically "hang out" between Midtown and Chelsea.

    Hah, New York to me has always been Greenwich Village...ok, so I'm an old ex
    hippie. LOL

    Tim Conway, Apr 26, 2013
  20. philo

    philo  Guest

    Re: Photo shoot today

    On 04/26/2013 08:51 AM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 4/26/2013 10:35 AM, Tim Conway wrote:
    >> "philo " <philo@privcy.not> wrote in message

    >>> We will be out the end of August.
    >>>
    >>> Most of the time we don't plan anything...we just walk as much as
    >>> possible.
    >>>

    >>> We typically "hang out" between Midtown and Chelsea.

    >> Hah, New York to me has always been Greenwich Village..

    > I went to NYU. the character of the Village has moved to the East
    > Village, and Tompkins Square.
    >
    > .ok, so I'm an old ex
    >> hippie. LOL
    >>

    > So was Steve Jobs.

    LOL

    I'm kind of an old hippie myself...

    spent some time in both NY and California back in the late 60's.

    Even in more recent times, my wife and I used to stay at the Chelsea Hotel.

    Heck, just sitting in the lobby was better than going to a B'way play!

    Over the years, we even got to know Storme DeLaverie just a bit.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormé_DeLarverie

    I got a photo of her that was just good enough for my wife to do a
    portrait of her.

    Nowdays, we just "camp out" at one of the Holiday Inns.

    philo , Apr 26, 2013