Ping Rita - Re 70-200 VR with TC-20EII

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mick Brown, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. Mick Brown

    Mick Brown Guest

    Mick Brown, Jan 2, 2005

  2. Mick Brown wrote:
    > Hi Rita,
    >
    > Here are the test shots I promised, these were all taken handheld at
    > 200mm so effectively they ended up being 600mm with the Digital
    > multiplyer and the converter. They were shot at around 125th of a
    > second. These images are up to 500kb each. VR Was turned on by the
    > way.

    Thanks. The shots look great and I can't believe how stable they are. I
    guess it's easier to get great hand held shots at that focal length than I
    thought. I now have no excuse not to get the TC-20 this month. Thanks
    again.

    Rita
    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Mick Brown

    Mick Brown Guest

    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" < `> wrote in message
    > Mick Brown wrote:
    > > Hi Rita,
    > >
    > > Here are the test shots I promised, these were all taken handheld at
    > > 200mm so effectively they ended up being 600mm with the Digital
    > > multiplyer and the converter. They were shot at around 125th of a
    > > second. These images are up to 500kb each. VR Was turned on by the
    > > way.

    > Thanks. The shots look great and I can't believe how stable they are. I
    > guess it's easier to get great hand held shots at that focal length than I
    > thought. I now have no excuse not to get the TC-20 this month. Thanks
    > again.
    >

    > Rita

    The VR makes a huge difference, I tried some shots handheld without the VR
    on and um, they sucked big time LOL.
    Mick Brown, Jan 2, 2005
  4. Mick Brown

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 06:28:44 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Rita Ä Berkowitz"
    <
    `> wrote:
    >Thanks. The shots look great and I can't believe how stable they are. I
    >guess it's easier to get great hand held shots at that focal length than I
    >thought. I now have no excuse not to get the TC-20 this month.

    FWIW, with practice and patience you can easily beat the 1/f s exposure
    rule for telephoto shots. I've done so with add-on TCs for my 990 and 5700
    before the D70. The VR helps, that's for sure, but the rule as any, can
    always be broken as it's not an absolute.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Jan 2, 2005
  5. Mick Brown

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:27:58 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Mick Brown"
    <> wrote:

    >Here are the test shots I promised, these were all taken handheld at 200mm
    >so effectively they ended up being 600mm with the Digital multiplyer and the
    >converter. They were shot at around 125th of a second. These images are up
    >to 500kb each. VR Was turned on by the way.

    Mick,
    I have a question in regard to the problem you had with your original
    70-200 VR with the TC-20. I was wondering what focus setting do you use?
    I've seen a similar effect during focusing with my combo every once in a
    while, but not once focus has ben achieved. I'm using single area. I'm
    wondering if you are using dynamic or closest area?
    Ed Ruf, Jan 2, 2005
  6. Mick Brown

    Mick Brown Guest

    Hi Ed,

    The problem I had wasn't just in combo with the converter, it was in the
    lens at all settings, Nikon Australia could't fix it so they replaced the
    lens. btw I usually use single area all the time. The problem I had was a
    weird 45 deg pattern through the bokeh (out of focus area).

    Michael

    Mick Brown, Jan 2, 2005
  7. Mick Brown

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 23:55:52 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Mick Brown"
    <> wrote:

    >The problem I had wasn't just in combo with the converter, it was in the
    >lens at all settings, Nikon Australia could't fix it so they replaced the
    >lens. btw I usually use single area all the time. The problem I had was a
    >weird 45 deg pattern through the bokeh (out of focus area).

    Ok, I know the problem from the shot you posted. I've just seen this effect
    only temporarily in the viewfinder while the camera was searching for focus
    with the TC-20 only and the VR enabled. I've never seen it with just the
    lens by itself and never in ant focused photos. Thanks.
    Ed Ruf, Jan 3, 2005
  8. Ed Ruf wrote:

    > FWIW, with practice and patience you can easily beat the 1/f s
    > exposure rule for telephoto shots. I've done so with add-on TCs for
    > my 990 and 5700 before the D70. The VR helps, that's for sure, but
    > the rule as any, can always be broken as it's not an absolute.

    I think you are probably right. I'm excited about getting the TC20 this
    month. Thanks again.

    BTW> I never did get to look at the pics on your site. They downloaded as
    NEF but opened as TIF and were blurry.

    Rita
    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 3, 2005
  9. Mick Brown

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:32:39 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Rita Ä Berkowitz"
    <
    `> wrote:

    >BTW> I never did get to look at the pics on your site. They downloaded as
    >NEF but opened as TIF and were blurry.

    How and what did you open them in? A simple right click and save link as
    should have dl'd them to your PC. You could then have opened them in
    whatever app your system has NEF defaulted to.
    Ed Ruf, Jan 3, 2005
  10. Mick Brown

    `> wrote:
    >Ed Ruf wrote:
    >>
    >> FWIW, with practice and patience you can easily beat the 1/f s
    >> exposure rule for telephoto shots. I've done so with add-on TCs for
    >> my 990 and 5700 before the D70. The VR helps, that's for sure, but
    >> the rule as any, can always be broken as it's not an absolute.

    >I think you are probably right. I'm excited about getting the TC20 this
    >month. Thanks again.

    I've recently posted resized shot with the combo taken at a very extreme
    ISO 1600 with minor noise filtering using Neat Image at
    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/D70/misc/slides/DSC_1984.html
    Ed Ruf, Jan 3, 2005
  11. Ed Ruf wrote:

    > How and what did you open them in? A simple right click and save link
    > as should have dl'd them to your PC. You could then have opened them
    > in whatever app your system has NEF defaulted to.

    It may very well be something on my end. I use Nikon Capture 4 as default
    and it opens my NEFs up just fine. I will have to clear my cache and
    download them again.

    Rita
    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 3, 2005
  12. Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 3, 2005
  13. Mick Brown

    Ed Ruf Guest

    FWIW, just had the opportunity to shoot an F-22 flying to Langley AFB with
    F-15s in escort. with my D70 + TC20EII + AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8 G IF-ED
    lens. Unfortunately, the sun was almost directly behind the approach.

    Full frame resized image from raw with +2 ev :
    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/D70/misc/slides/DSC_2333.html
    Ed Ruf, Jan 8, 2005
  14. Mick Brown

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:44:36 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf
    <> wrote:

    >FWIW, just had the opportunity to shoot an F-22 flying to Langley AFB with
    >F-15s in escort. with my D70 + TC20EII + AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8 G IF-ED
    >lens. Unfortunately, the sun was almost directly behind the approach.
    >
    >Full frame resized image from raw with +2 ev :
    >http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/D70/misc/slides/DSC_2333.html

    Forgot to mention, in this environment, the AF affect of the TC-20 was
    quite evident. Considerably slower, with hunting,
    Ed Ruf, Jan 8, 2005
  15. Mick Brown

    Mick Brown Guest

    Mine snaps right on Ed, have you tried setting the AF limit switch off
    infinite?

    --
    Michael Brown
    Melbourne Australia

    Mick Brown, Jan 8, 2005
  16. Mick Brown

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 10:56:00 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Mick Brown"
    <> wrote:

    >Mine snaps right on Ed, have you tried setting the AF limit switch off
    >infinite?

    I had the AF limit switch set to 2.5m-Inf. The other option is full, which
    just extends the lower part of the range to the lens AF limit of 1.5m
    Ed Ruf, Jan 8, 2005
  17. Ed Ruf wrote:
    > FWIW, just had the opportunity to shoot an F-22 flying to Langley AFB
    > with F-15s in escort. with my D70 + TC20EII + AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8
    > G IF-ED lens. Unfortunately, the sun was almost directly behind the
    > approach.
    >
    > Full frame resized image from raw with +2 ev :
    > http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/D70/misc/slides/DSC_2333.html

    Nice shooting. Did you use AF or MF on this shot? I was taking a few shots
    of close circling seagulls and found it better to flip to MF since this has
    eliminated the need for the lens to refocus when the bird was out of the
    center while autofocusing. Here is a shot of one I got the other day.
    These birds are pretty fast, especially when they are fairly close. I
    caught this guy at 190mm, 1/640, and F/4.5.

    http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/eBay/Seagull.jpg

    Rita
    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 8, 2005
  18. Mick Brown

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:19:15 -0500, in rec.photo.digital " Rita Ä
    Berkowitz ~" < ``> wrote:

    >Nice shooting. Did you use AF or MF on this shot? I was taking a few shots
    >of close circling seagulls and found it better to flip to MF since this has
    >eliminated the need for the lens to refocus when the bird was out of the
    >center while autofocusing.

    Thanks. AF, I really wanted to see how it compared to the air show outing I
    caught with just the lens when I first got the camera.

    > Here is a shot of one I got the other day.
    >These birds are pretty fast, especially when they are fairly close. I
    >caught this guy at 190mm, 1/640, and F/4.5.
    >http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/eBay/Seagull.jpg

    Nice. Yes, I had a similar experience on Assateague. That close to fill the
    frame even at 200mm things are moving quite fast.
    Ed Ruf, Jan 8, 2005
  19. Mick Brown

    Mick Brown Guest

    I shot my seagulls using the continuous autofocus, it seemed to work really
    well for most of the shots. I also used it to shoot the roo on the move in
    this group.

    http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=37501

    Mick Brown, Jan 9, 2005
  20. Mick Brown

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 00:23:58 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Mick Brown"
    <> wrote:

    >I shot my seagulls using the continuous autofocus, it seemed to work really
    >well for most of the shots. I also used it to shoot the roo on the move in
    >this group.
    >
    >http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=37501

    Good suggestion. Very nice!
    Ed Ruf, Jan 9, 2005