Ping Requests - How to block?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lowe Stokes, Jul 1, 2007.

  1. Lowe Stokes

    Lowe Stokes Guest

    Hi,

    I am using WinXP-SP2 and connect to the Internet through Charter Cable.
    I have Zone Alarm freshly installed but also tried Kerio in an attempt
    to block ping requests.

    I test my system at Gibson Research using the Shields Up program and
    everything passes except for the ping test.

    Here is the message from Gibson:

    "Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP
    Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal
    firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping
    requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly
    recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods
    used to locate systems prior to further exploitation."

    I am not an expert on these matters, by any means, so when the request
    above is to configure my firewall to block, drop, or ignore pings, it is
    a foreign language to me.

    First I just had the regular old Windows Firewall, but ran the test and
    decided to try Kerio Personal2, I believe it was called. The test still
    failed and I received the same message I did above. I go to configuring
    and messing around with the ping settings in Kerio, which I understand I
    should not have done now, and naturally I could no longer download a
    webpage at all. Uninstalled Kerio.

    So, you know, I figure, probably incorrectly, that Kerio must not be
    able to get it done, so I install Zone Alarm, the one that is supposed
    to automatically fix everything just like it is supposed to be. It
    didn't, I guess it didn't because the Gibson test still fails.

    Is it impossible to stop ping requests when you are using a cable
    connection or something? I use to have dial up and every test passed
    like a charm.

    Any pertinent information that I may have left out, just ask me and I
    will supply it right away.

    Thanks

    Stinky
    Lowe Stokes, Jul 1, 2007

  2. Lowe Stokes

    Mike Easter Guest

    Lowe Stokes wrote:

    > I am using WinXP-SP2 and connect to the Internet through Charter
    > Cable. I have Zone Alarm freshly installed but also tried Kerio in
    > an attempt to block ping requests.

    Your ping echo from grc or anywhere else is echo/ing from the cable
    modem before it ever gets to anything 'after' [on your side of] the
    cable modem, your side such as a router or your computer - which
    computer is running your firewall.

    > "Ping Reply: RECEIVED

    > Is it impossible to stop ping requests when you are using a cable
    > connection or something?

    Well, the modem mfr could ostensibly configure/redesign the cable
    modem's design to drop/ignore pings; but there is nothing I know of for
    you to do to change the modem's network behavior. It is likely that
    your cable connectivity provider uses that echo in its network topology
    troubleshooting.

    I would say something simple like, "Don't worry about it." -- but there
    is plenty to be concerned about in terms of your computer running a
    software firewall which firewall is 'exposed' to the internet.

    It would be nice if there were something right after the cable modem
    such as a NAT device, a network address translator to act a little bit
    like a hardware 'firewall' between you and the cable and before your own
    little personal software 'firewalls' [like Win's, Kerio's, or
    ZoneLab's] - which actually aren't officially firewalls from a true
    hardware firewall point of view.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 1, 2007

  3. Lowe Stokes aka ,after much thought,came up with this
    jewel:

    > snip <
    > Is it impossible to stop ping requests when you are using a cable
    > connection or something?

    Buy a router with built-in firewall.

    max
    --
    My Pages:
    Virus Removal Instructions:
    Maximus the mad, Jul 1, 2007
  4. "Lowe Stokes" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using WinXP-SP2 and connect to the Internet through Charter Cable. I
    > have Zone Alarm freshly installed but also tried Kerio in an attempt to
    > block ping requests.
    >
    > I test my system at Gibson Research using the Shields Up program and
    > everything passes except for the ping test.
    >
    > Here is the message from Gibson:
    >
    > "Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP
    > Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls
    > can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order
    > to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since
    > "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems
    > prior to further exploitation."
    >
    > I am not an expert on these matters, by any means, so when the request
    > above is to configure my firewall to block, drop, or ignore pings, it is a
    > foreign language to me.

    You're not behind a router?

    Get a router. It's got a hardware firewall that'll give you loads more
    protection than any consumer-grade software firewall could.

    Use the router as your inbound protection. Run your software firewall as
    your outbound protection.

    The router keeps unwanted things out. The software firewall keeps unwanted
    things already in your computer from inviting in even worse things.
    Dr. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A7=A4=A4=A7?=, Jul 1, 2007
  5. Lowe Stokes

    Lowe Stokes Guest

    Dr. §¤¤§ wrote:
    > "Lowe Stokes" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am using WinXP-SP2 and connect to the Internet through Charter Cable. I
    >> have Zone Alarm freshly installed but also tried Kerio in an attempt to
    >> block ping requests.
    >>
    >> I test my system at Gibson Research using the Shields Up program and
    >> everything passes except for the ping test.
    >>
    >> Here is the message from Gibson:
    >>
    >> "Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP
    >> Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls
    >> can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order
    >> to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since
    >> "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems
    >> prior to further exploitation."
    >>
    >> I am not an expert on these matters, by any means, so when the request
    >> above is to configure my firewall to block, drop, or ignore pings, it is a
    >> foreign language to me.

    > You're not behind a router?
    >
    > Get a router. It's got a hardware firewall that'll give you loads more
    > protection than any consumer-grade software firewall could.
    >
    > Use the router as your inbound protection. Run your software firewall as
    > your outbound protection.
    >
    > The router keeps unwanted things out. The software firewall keeps unwanted
    > things already in your computer from inviting in even worse things.

    No, I don't believe I am. I just have a wireless modem in the house and
    a splitter connected to the cable box outside.
    I don't actually even have wireless, just a wireless modem with an
    Ethernet cord running to both computers that are online.

    The Charter representatives who installed it never said anything about a
    router, I bet they cheated me out of it because I don't know anything
    about high speed connections.

    Altie
    Lowe Stokes, Jul 2, 2007
  6. Mike Easter wrote:

    > Lowe Stokes wrote:
    >> I am using WinXP-SP2 and connect to the Internet through Charter
    >> Cable. I have Zone Alarm freshly installed but also tried Kerio in
    >> an attempt to block ping requests.

    > Your ping echo from grc or anywhere else is echo/ing from the cable
    > modem before it ever gets to anything 'after' [on your side of] the
    > cable modem, your side such as a router or your computer - which
    > computer is running your firewall.

    My cable modem doesn't echo any pings...

    Lowe, go get a router.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 2, 2007
  7. Lowe Stokes

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > Dr. §¤¤§ wrote:
    >> "Lowe Stokes" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am using WinXP-SP2 and connect to the Internet through Charter Cable.
    >>> I have Zone Alarm freshly installed but also tried Kerio in an attempt
    >>> to block ping requests.
    >>>
    >>> I test my system at Gibson Research using the Shields Up program and
    >>> everything passes except for the ping test.
    >>>
    >>> Here is the message from Gibson:
    >>>
    >>> "Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP
    >>> Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal
    >>> firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping
    >>> requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly
    >>> recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods
    >>> used to locate systems prior to further exploitation."
    >>>
    >>> I am not an expert on these matters, by any means, so when the request
    >>> above is to configure my firewall to block, drop, or ignore pings, it is
    >>> a foreign language to me.

    >> You're not behind a router?
    >>
    >> Get a router. It's got a hardware firewall that'll give you loads more
    >> protection than any consumer-grade software firewall could.
    >>
    >> Use the router as your inbound protection. Run your software firewall as
    >> your outbound protection.
    >>
    >> The router keeps unwanted things out. The software firewall keeps
    >> unwanted things already in your computer from inviting in even worse
    >> things.
    >>

    > No, I don't believe I am. I just have a wireless modem in the house and a
    > splitter connected to the cable box outside.
    > I don't actually even have wireless, just a wireless modem with an
    > Ethernet cord running to both computers that are online.
    >
    > The Charter representatives who installed it never said anything about a
    > router, I bet they cheated me out of it because I don't know anything
    > about high speed connections.

    If your cable modem is wireless and has multiple CAT5 connections, it has a
    router IN IT. What is the make and model?

    WhzzKdd, Jul 2, 2007
  8. Lowe Stokes

    Lowe Stokes Guest

    WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "Lowe Stokes" <> wrote in message
    >> Dr. §¤¤§ wrote:
    >>> "Lowe Stokes" <> wrote in message

    >>> You're not behind a router?
    >>>
    >>> Get a router. It's got a hardware firewall that'll give you loads more
    >>> protection than any consumer-grade software firewall could.
    >>>
    >>> Use the router as your inbound protection. Run your software firewall as
    >>> your outbound protection.
    >>>
    >>> The router keeps unwanted things out. The software firewall keeps
    >>> unwanted things already in your computer from inviting in even worse
    >>> things.
    >>>

    >> No, I don't believe I am. I just have a wireless modem in the house and a
    >> splitter connected to the cable box outside.
    >> I don't actually even have wireless, just a wireless modem with an
    >> Ethernet cord running to both computers that are online.
    >>
    >> The Charter representatives who installed it never said anything about a
    >> router, I bet they cheated me out of it because I don't know anything
    >> about high speed connections.
    >>

    > If your cable modem is wireless and has multiple CAT5 connections, it has a
    > router IN IT. What is the make and model?

    Netgear Wireless Cable Modem Gateway
    CG814WG V2
    Lowe Stokes, Jul 2, 2007
  9. Lowe Stokes

    Lowe Stokes Guest

    Maximus the mad wrote:
    > Lowe Stokes aka ,after much thought,came up with this
    > jewel:
    >
    >> snip <
    >> Is it impossible to stop ping requests when you are using a cable
    >> connection or something?

    > Buy a router with built-in firewall.
    >
    > max

    I am starting to think the one I have may have a router built in, but
    maybe it isn't activated or something.
    Lowe Stokes, Jul 2, 2007
  10. On 2007-07-01, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Lowe Stokes waxed eloquently:
    > Maximus the mad wrote:
    >> Lowe Stokes aka ,after much thought,came up with this
    >> jewel:
    >>
    >>> snip <
    >>> Is it impossible to stop ping requests when you are using a cable
    >>> connection or something?

    >> Buy a router with built-in firewall.
    >>
    >> max

    > I am starting to think the one I have may have a router built in, but
    > maybe it isn't activated or something.

    You might try the Netgear site for a manual, FAQ, and/or configuration
    instructions. Heres a good start:

    http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/cg814wg.asp

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    THE DAILY PLANET

    SUPERMAN SAVES DESSERT!
    Plans to "Eat it later"
    The Old Sourdough, Jul 2, 2007
  11. Lowe Stokes

    doS Guest

    yes he is just too stoopid to know it

    doS, Jul 2, 2007
  12. Lowe Stokes

    doS Guest

    you have been cheated out of anything except common sense...all isps provide
    a ping to the modems.It called network monitoring.You'd be one of the
    dumba**who called and complains if your service went down.your Netgear modem
    is a router modem combo

    doS, Jul 2, 2007
  13. Lowe Stokes

    Guest

    Lowe Stokes <> wrote:

    >> If your cable modem is wireless and has multiple CAT5 connections, it has a
    >> router IN IT. What is the make and model?

    >Netgear Wireless Cable Modem Gateway
    >CG814WG V2

    In your browser's address type it: 192.168.0.1 <enter>
    if you are able to access the router, you can make your changes there.
    --

    Woman tries to buy all of the iPhones at a store and gets owned.
    http://tinyurl.com/2j43rj
  14. Lowe Stokes

    WhzzKdd Guest

    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> "Lowe Stokes" <> wrote in message

    >>> No, I don't believe I am. I just have a wireless modem in the house and
    >>> a splitter connected to the cable box outside.
    >>> I don't actually even have wireless, just a wireless modem with an
    >>> Ethernet cord running to both computers that are online.
    >>>
    >>> The Charter representatives who installed it never said anything about a
    >>> router, I bet they cheated me out of it because I don't know anything
    >>> about high speed connections.
    >>>

    >> If your cable modem is wireless and has multiple CAT5 connections, it has
    >> a router IN IT. What is the make and model?
    >>

    > Netgear Wireless Cable Modem Gateway
    > CG814WG V2

    Nice unit - everything you need in one box. Here's the manual:
    http://www.simplehelp.net/images/cable_modems/manuals/Netgear_CG814WG.pdf

    Definately a router. In your web browser, you should be able to access the
    Netgear settings by putting 192.168.0.1 in the address line and pressing
    enter. But the ISP may have set a password on the unit.

    If you can get in, be sure you check to be sure the wireless (radio) is off,
    since you aren't using it.

    WhzzKdd, Jul 2, 2007
  15. Lowe Stokes

    Mike Easter Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> Your ping echo from grc or anywhere else is echo/ing from the cable
    >> modem before it ever gets to anything 'after' [on your side of] the
    >> cable modem, your side such as a router or your computer - which
    >> computer is running your firewall.

    > My cable modem doesn't echo any pings...

    I've only owned/used about 3 cable modems and they all echo/ed pings.
    They would of course even echo pings in their 'standby' mode, in which
    mode they are disengaged from the computer/router side of the modem, but
    still in communication with their own upstream network.

    Every time I've ever tried to ping an 'identifiable'/known someone's
    cable modem whose modem was 'online' - where online in this context
    means cable connected and powered up, it echo/ed pings.

    But, that doesn't mean that every cable modem echoes pings.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 2, 2007
  16. "Lowe Stokes" <> wrote in message
    > No, I don't believe I am. I just have a wireless modem in the house and a
    > splitter connected to the cable box outside.
    > I don't actually even have wireless, just a wireless modem with an
    > Ethernet cord running to both computers that are online.
    >
    > The Charter representatives who installed it never said anything about a
    > router, I bet they cheated me out of it because I don't know anything
    > about high speed connections.

    Well, if you're not using the wireless, I'd suggest disabling it in the
    modem setup. At the very least, make sure it's secured by disabling SSID
    broadcast, and make sure it's using either WEP or WPA encryption (WPA is
    much preferred, as it's more secure).

    While you're in the modem setup, see if it's got a built-in router (some
    nowadays do), and if so, you might be already protected. Just look around
    for something that say "Block pings" and enable it.

    Now, with that in mind, here's a bit of info:
    A friend had a cable modem with a built-in router. I left the username and
    password for logging into the router setup what the cable company had set up
    specifically for this account (they set up each modem so that to log into
    it, you have to put your user name and a cable company supplied password...
    which they are loath to give out, but will when pressured). I changed the
    setup to block pings... apparently the cable company didn't like that
    because the next time I visited my friend, the username and password had
    been changed, and the modem again responded to pings!

    I called them, and they said that this was how they determined if the modem
    was working and online... by pinging it. Stupid way of doing things, but...

    So, I cracked into the modem setup, changed the username and password, and
    blocked pings again.

    The cable company hasn't complained, since I was pretty hard on them about
    changing settings for a person's protective hardware without their consent,
    and locking them out of the modem setup.

    Anyway, if the modem doesn't have a built-in router, run out to CompUSA or
    Radio Shack, etc., and get yourself a Linksys BEFSR41 router. It's just a
    very simple router, but it's got everything you need to secure your
    connection. Actually, I'd recommend doing that even if the cable modem's got
    a router... I don't trust all-in-one devices like that.

    Put that between your modem and your computers, and set it up (with help
    from those here, if necessary).

    HTH, HAND
    Dr. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A7=A4=A4=A7?=, Jul 2, 2007
  17. Mike Easter wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> Your ping echo from grc or anywhere else is echo/ing from the cable
    >>> modem before it ever gets to anything 'after' [on your side of] the
    >>> cable modem, your side such as a router or your computer - which
    >>> computer is running your firewall.

    >> My cable modem doesn't echo any pings...

    > I've only owned/used about 3 cable modems and they all echo/ed pings.
    > They would of course even echo pings in their 'standby' mode, in
    > which mode they are disengaged from the computer/router side of the
    > modem, but still in communication with their own upstream network.
    >
    > Every time I've ever tried to ping an 'identifiable'/known someone's
    > cable modem whose modem was 'online' - where online in this context
    > means cable connected and powered up, it echo/ed pings.
    >
    > But, that doesn't mean that every cable modem echoes pings.

    I've not had any that responded to pings. Been on RoadRunner for ten
    years, had several (3?) modems, and those online testing sites like GRC
    and pcflank.com always say 'no response to ping.' Now, and in pre-router
    days as well.

    Without the router, and with the PFW turned off, the _computer_ will
    respond to a ping.

    The router does have an option to respond or not respond to pings, but
    the modem never responded. The current modem is a Toshiba (at the other
    end of the house).

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 2, 2007
  18. Lowe Stokes

    George H Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> My cable modem doesn't echo any pings...

    >> I've only owned/used about 3 cable modems and they all echo/ed pings.
    >> They would of course even echo pings in their 'standby' mode, in
    >> which mode they are disengaged from the computer/router side of the
    >> modem, but still in communication with their own upstream network.
    >>
    >> Every time I've ever tried to ping an 'identifiable'/known someone's
    >> cable modem whose modem was 'online' - where online in this context
    >> means cable connected and powered up, it echo/ed pings.
    >>
    >> But, that doesn't mean that every cable modem echoes pings.

    The cable modem has an IP address on the ISPs network, but it's not
    trivial to know it's IP.

    Most every cable company uses DHCP so the IP you'll see at
    http://whatsmyip.org is the IP of the PC in question or the WAN side of
    the router if one is in use.

    > Without the router, and with the PFW turned off, the _computer_ will
    > respond to a ping.

    Correct. The modem does respond to ICMP ping as well, but, once again,
    you can't easily find out if it's a 10.xx, 172.16.xx or a routeable address.
    George H, Jul 2, 2007
  19. Lowe Stokes

    Lowe Stokes Guest

    Thanks to everyone who responded, all of you helped me. Before I came
    here I had no clue, I only knew that something wasn't right. Thanks to
    suggestions of the people in this thread, I discovered where to go and I
    fixed my problem.

    When Charter installed my service I didn't get any instructions or
    anything, no booklets, no advice about how to do what all of you told me
    how to do. They just came in and installed the modem, ran a couple of
    wires and were gone.

    Anyway,

    I was able to access the website of 192.168.0.1 and modify my settings.

    Here is what I did to solve the ping problem:

    DmZ Host - Unchecked Respond to Ping

    and I also changed the Remote Management setting to what I have below.

    Remote Management - Unchecked Allow Remote Management

    Now all the tests pass and I feel much more safe and secure. Thanks
    everyone.

    Lowe
    Lowe Stokes, Jul 2, 2007
  20. Lowe Stokes aka ,after much thought,came up with this
    jewel:

    > Thanks to everyone who responded, all of you helped me. Before I
    > came here I had no clue, I only knew that something wasn't right.
    > Thanks to suggestions of the people in this thread, I discovered
    > where to go and I fixed my problem.
    >
    > When Charter installed my service I didn't get any instructions or
    > anything, no booklets, no advice about how to do what all of you told
    > me how to do. They just came in and installed the modem, ran a
    > couple of wires and were gone.
    >
    > Anyway,
    >
    > I was able to access the website of 192.168.0.1 and modify my
    > settings.
    >
    > Here is what I did to solve the ping problem:
    >
    > DmZ Host - Unchecked Respond to Ping
    >
    > and I also changed the Remote Management setting to what I have below.
    >
    > Remote Management - Unchecked Allow Remote Management
    >
    > Now all the tests pass and I feel much more safe and secure. Thanks
    > everyone.
    >
    > Lowe

    Glad to hear you got it sorted out!

    max