    anti-virus? Can the firewall be turned off?

    --
    phrogee

    phrogee, Apr 21, 2006

  2. Re: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=3Cping=3ER=F4g=EAr?=

    phrogee wrote:
    > After years of running NAV with no problems, I'm ready to give it up after
    > running NAV 2006. I'm going to run Kaspersky. For my home networt system
    > with a router, should I get the version with the firewall or just the
    > anti-virus? Can the firewall be turned off?

    I've been a happy camper with ZoneAlarm for some time. I sometimes see
    posts criticizing it, but it's done well for me. I've not had any
    experience with Kaspersky's firewall, but I have no reason to think it's
    not a good product. Since you have a router between you and the
    internet, that is some additional protection.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 22, 2006

  3. phrogee

    phrogee Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > phrogee wrote:
    >> After years of running NAV with no problems, I'm ready to give it up
    >> after running NAV 2006. I'm going to run Kaspersky. For my home networt
    >> system with a router, should I get the version with the firewall or just
    >> the anti-virus? Can the firewall be turned off?

    > I've been a happy camper with ZoneAlarm for some time. I sometimes see
    > posts criticizing it, but it's done well for me. I've not had any
    > experience with Kaspersky's firewall, but I have no reason to think it's
    > not a good product. Since you have a router between you and the internet,
    > that is some additional protection.

    OK, great! Thanks for the response Rôgêr. I have the understanding that you
    are/have used Kaspersky Anti-Virus though, right? I'm thinking of trying
    F-Secure on my laptop. I'm not having issues with my NAV 2005, but my
    subscription will soon be up and I don't want to upgrade to NAV 2006. I see
    that F-Secure uses more resources than Kaspersky though.

    --
    phrogee

    phrogee, Apr 22, 2006
  4. phrogee

    phrogee Guest

    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:43:03 GMT, "phrogee" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I've been a happy camper with ZoneAlarm for some time. I sometimes see
    >>> posts criticizing it, but it's done well for me. I've not had any
    >>> experience with Kaspersky's firewall, but I have no reason to think it's
    >>> not a good product. Since you have a router between you and the
    >>> internet,
    >>> that is some additional protection.

    >>OK, great! Thanks for the response Rôgêr. I have the understanding that
    >>you
    >>are/have used Kaspersky Anti-Virus though, right? I'm thinking of trying
    >>F-Secure on my laptop. I'm not having issues with my NAV 2005, but my
    >>subscription will soon be up and I don't want to upgrade to NAV 2006. I
    >>see
    >>that F-Secure uses more resources than Kaspersky though.

    > The detection rate is not nearly as good for F-Secure as it is for
    > Kapersky,
    > either.

    Maybe I should just put Kaspersky on both machines. Also, it's quite
    possible that detection rates swing back and forth in time amoung the
    various manufacturers. NAV 2006 will just show my desktop for maybe 30
    seconds before anything appears on it, BUT it might be checking things out
    to make sure it's safe to start opening. I haven't really noticed any other
    slowing down, but I don't use that computer much. I haven't really put a
    load on the OS to see if it bogs down.

    --
    phrogee

    phrogee, Apr 22, 2006
  5. Re: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=3Cping=3ER=F4g=EAr?=

    phrogee wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>phrogee wrote:
    >>
    >>>After years of running NAV with no problems, I'm ready to give it up
    >>>after running NAV 2006. I'm going to run Kaspersky. For my home networt
    >>>system with a router, should I get the version with the firewall or just
    >>>the anti-virus? Can the firewall be turned off?

    >>I've been a happy camper with ZoneAlarm for some time. I sometimes see
    >>posts criticizing it, but it's done well for me. I've not had any
    >>experience with Kaspersky's firewall, but I have no reason to think it's
    >>not a good product. Since you have a router between you and the internet,
    >>that is some additional protection.

    > OK, great! Thanks for the response Rôgêr. I have the understanding that you
    > are/have used Kaspersky Anti-Virus though, right? I'm thinking of trying
    > F-Secure on my laptop. I'm not having issues with my NAV 2005, but my
    > subscription will soon be up and I don't want to upgrade to NAV 2006. I see
    > that F-Secure uses more resources than Kaspersky though.

    I go through a lot of computers helping people get rid of nasties. I
    consider Kaspersky to be the "bigger hammer". If nothing else, I'll
    install kaspersky on a customer's machine for the 30 day trial and get
    rid of the viruses, then leave it up to them if they want to renew it or
    drop back to something like AVG or Avast.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 23, 2006
  6. phrogee

    phrogee Guest

    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 14:20:30 GMT, "phrogee" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >>Maybe I should just put Kaspersky on both machines. Also, it's quite
    >>possible that detection rates swing back and forth in time amoung the
    >>various manufacturers. NAV 2006 will just show my desktop for maybe 30
    >>seconds before anything appears on it, BUT it might be checking things out
    >>to make sure it's safe to start opening. I haven't really noticed any
    >>other
    >>slowing down, but I don't use that computer much. I haven't really put a
    >>load on the OS to see if it bogs down.

    > How often can you set NAV to update? I mean, what intervals?

    Mara, it is set to update every four hours. I don't see any other available
    interval. I disabled the auto-update and rebooted. Made no difference! The
    system does seem to be very sluggish compared to what it used to be, just as
    others are experiencing.

    --
    phrogee

    phrogee, Apr 23, 2006
  7. phrogee

    phrogee Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > phrogee wrote:
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>>I've been a happy camper with ZoneAlarm for some time. I sometimes see
    >>>posts criticizing it, but it's done well for me. I've not had any
    >>>experience with Kaspersky's firewall, but I have no reason to think it's
    >>>not a good product. Since you have a router between you and the internet,
    >>>that is some additional protection.

    >> OK, great! Thanks for the response Rôgêr. I have the understanding that
    >> you are/have used Kaspersky Anti-Virus though, right? I'm thinking of
    >> trying F-Secure on my laptop. I'm not having issues with my NAV 2005, but
    >> my subscription will soon be up and I don't want to upgrade to NAV 2006.
    >> I see that F-Secure uses more resources than Kaspersky though.

    > I go through a lot of computers helping people get rid of nasties. I
    > consider Kaspersky to be the "bigger hammer". If nothing else, I'll
    > install kaspersky on a customer's machine for the 30 day trial and get rid
    > of the viruses, then leave it up to them if they want to renew it or drop
    > back to something like AVG or Avast.

    I don't ask people to endorse a product, only give me an opinion of
    something they actually have experience with. That way I can't go back to
    them and say, "But you told me.......". You've gained my greatest respect
    over the years that I've lurked in this NG, so I trust your opinion.
    Kaspersky it is! Thanks!

    --
    phrogee

    phrogee, Apr 23, 2006
  8. phrogee

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 03:26:58 GMT, "phrogee" <> wrote:

    >"Mara" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 14:20:30 GMT, "phrogee" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>>Maybe I should just put Kaspersky on both machines. Also, it's quite
    >>>possible that detection rates swing back and forth in time amoung the
    >>>various manufacturers. NAV 2006 will just show my desktop for maybe 30
    >>>seconds before anything appears on it, BUT it might be checking things out
    >>>to make sure it's safe to start opening. I haven't really noticed any
    >>>other
    >>>slowing down, but I don't use that computer much. I haven't really put a
    >>>load on the OS to see if it bogs down.

    >> How often can you set NAV to update? I mean, what intervals?
    >>

    >Mara, it is set to update every four hours. I don't see any other available
    >interval. I disabled the auto-update and rebooted. Made no difference! The
    >system does seem to be very sluggish compared to what it used to be, just as
    >others are experiencing.

    NAV can do that. It's a bloated mess, and it certainly didn't prove to be
    effective at work.

    Kapersky can update every three hours, but I don't have it set to that either
    here or at work. We've been running it there for a little over a year now, and
    no viruses, worms, backdoors, or trojans have gotten through, ever. I have it
    set to update once a day, and run a thorough scan on each machine once a week.

    "It doesn't catch adware, but I don't expect it to. I expect it to do its job,
    and it does - superbly. Support is about the best I've seen, too."

    --
    "Bristling with weapons means never having to say you're sorry."
    --trout, 24HSHD

    Mara, Apr 23, 2006
  9. phrogee

    phrogee Guest

    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 03:26:58 GMT, "phrogee" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Mara" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 14:20:30 GMT, "phrogee" <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> How often can you set NAV to update? I mean, what intervals?
    >>>

    >>Mara, it is set to update every four hours. I don't see any other
    >>available
    >>interval. I disabled the auto-update and rebooted. Made no difference! The
    >>system does seem to be very sluggish compared to what it used to be, just
    >>as
    >>others are experiencing.

    > NAV can do that. It's a bloated mess, and it certainly didn't prove to be
    > effective at work.
    >
    > Kapersky can update every three hours, but I don't have it set to that
    > either
    > here or at work. We've been running it there for a little over a year now,
    > and
    > no viruses, worms, backdoors, or trojans have gotten through, ever. I have
    > it
    > set to update once a day, and run a thorough scan on each machine once a
    > week.
    >
    > "It doesn't catch adware, but I don't expect it to. I expect it to do its
    > job,
    > and it does - superbly. Support is about the best I've seen, too."

    Halleljah, I've been converted! I'm going the way of Kaspersky! I'm not
    worried about the adware anyways. Thanks Mara!
    I've got to put a new HDD in my desktop, so NAV 2006 will be totally
    removed.

    Your sig. <Trout---I haven't seen his name in a long time.>

    --
    phrogee

    phrogee, Apr 23, 2006
  10. Re: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=3Cping=3ER=F4g=EAr?=

    phrogee wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>phrogee wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>>OK, great! Thanks for the response Rôgêr. I have the understanding that
    >>>you are/have used Kaspersky Anti-Virus though, right? I'm thinking of
    >>>trying F-Secure on my laptop. I'm not having issues with my NAV 2005, but
    >>>my subscription will soon be up and I don't want to upgrade to NAV 2006.
    >>>I see that F-Secure uses more resources than Kaspersky though.

    >>I go through a lot of computers helping people get rid of nasties. I
    >>consider Kaspersky to be the "bigger hammer". If nothing else, I'll
    >>install kaspersky on a customer's machine for the 30 day trial and get rid
    >>of the viruses, then leave it up to them if they want to renew it or drop
    >>back to something like AVG or Avast.

    > I don't ask people to endorse a product, only give me an opinion of
    > something they actually have experience with. That way I can't go back to
    > them and say, "But you told me.......". You've gained my greatest respect
    > over the years that I've lurked in this NG, so I trust your opinion.
    > Kaspersky it is! Thanks!

    You've been drinking, haven't you?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 23, 2006
  11. phrogee

    phrogee Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > phrogee wrote:
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>>I go through a lot of computers helping people get rid of nasties. I
    >>>consider Kaspersky to be the "bigger hammer". If nothing else, I'll
    >>>install kaspersky on a customer's machine for the 30 day trial and get
    >>>rid of the viruses, then leave it up to them if they want to renew it or
    >>>drop back to something like AVG or Avast.

    >> I don't ask people to endorse a product, only give me an opinion of
    >> something they actually have experience with. That way I can't go back to
    >> them and say, "But you told me.......". You've gained my greatest respect
    >> over the years that I've lurked in this NG, so I trust your opinion.
    >> Kaspersky it is! Thanks!

    > You've been drinking, haven't you?

    Unfortunately, I quit drinking 17 years, 212 days, 07 hours and 23 minutes
    ago. Ahh, the memories!

    phrogee, Apr 23, 2006