PING "MIKE " new virus?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by gronod, Mar 23, 2005.

  1. gronod

    gronod Guest

    Hi,
    Norton 2002 picked up on a "virus" called BLOODHOUND when an email opened in
    preview pane on outlook express.
    After several warning boxes had been clicked, it showed that the "virus" had
    been quaraintined but could not be deleted.
    Searched google for "virus" name but no trace. searched symantec website, it
    showed that norton had picked up on malicious code and had quarantined the
    files belonging to "virus" .The name BLOODHOUND was given to the "virus" as
    norton did not recognise it as a previous known virus. I could not submit to
    Symantec for checking, sending failed several times.
    Taking the route start/c:/prog files/norton/quarantine I was able to delete
    files one by one. But with 60,680 files to delete this is a very longwinded
    process.
    Trying edit/select all. made programme lock up, task manager shows folder
    not responding. left it for 15 mins see if it would eventually happen but it
    didnt.
    MIKE you have assisted me in the past, and i still owe you a pint of banks's
    Any chance I could owe another?
    Any idea what has attacked my computer ?
    Any idea how to delete these files withouts pending all day, and suffering
    mouse cramp?
    Incidentally have run antivir, house call, symantec online scan, and another
    from rav, also spybot s&d updated, adaware updated, stinger, none have shown
    anything remotely unusual.
    The quarantine folder shows 4.69 gb size
    running win XP with SP1
    Appreciate any advice
    regards
    Gordon

    gronod, Mar 23, 2005

  2. gronod

    Mr Floppy Guest

    gronod wiped, flushed and then wrote into 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Hi,
    > Norton 2002 picked up on a "virus" called BLOODHOUND when an email opened
    > in preview pane on outlook express.

    Results 1 - 10 of about 29,500 for BLOODHOUND Virus "remove". (0.31 seconds)

    You fucking gormless tit.

    --
    Mr Floppy

    Mr Floppy, Mar 23, 2005

  3. gronod

    MrGrumpy Guest

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/bloodhound.html
    often a good place to look

    MrGrumpy, Mar 23, 2005
  4. gronod

    gronod Guest

    "Mr Floppy" <nospam@****--you.com> wrote in message
    > gronod wiped, flushed and then wrote into 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > Norton 2002 picked up on a "virus" called BLOODHOUND when an email

    opened
    > > in preview pane on outlook express.

    > Results 1 - 10 of about 29,500 for BLOODHOUND Virus "remove". (0.31

    seconds)

    > You fucking gormless tit.
    >
    > --
    > Mr Floppy
    > --
    > There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered

    mutant
    > never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare
    > to die.
    > -Hunter S. Thompson-

    Hello MR. Floppy,
    Thanks for advice.
    Done that, been there, no teashirt I'm Afraid, Seen advice about update for
    patch. Had already cleared internet/temp files
    However original post did say the virus was quarantined, therefore my comp
    is safe from it, (says norton antivirus) Still left with problem of deleting
    60,000 plus files left in norton anti virus quarantine folder. will try
    again tho.
    As I was brought up. not dragged up Many thanks for help
    regards
    Grodon
    (gormless twit)
    (expletive deleted)

    gronod, Mar 23, 2005
  5. gronod

    Wizard Guest

    gronod <> wrote:

    > As I was brought up.

    Your mother must've eaten some bad pork.

    Wizard, Mar 23, 2005
  6. gronod

    gronod Guest

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > gronod <> wrote:
    >
    > > As I was brought up.

    > Your mother must've eaten some bad pork.

    Hi,
    How bin ya mate,
    New keyboard, Correction. replace brought, with bought.
    Inglish as she ay talked, as we say around here.
    Grodon

    gronod, Mar 23, 2005
  7. gronod

    Mr Floppy Guest

    gronod wiped, flushed and then wrote into alt.os.windows-xp:

    > "Mr Floppy" <nospam@****--you.com> wrote in message
    >> gronod wiped, flushed and then wrote into 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> > Norton 2002 picked up on a "virus" called BLOODHOUND when an email

    > opened
    >> > in preview pane on outlook express.

    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 29,500 for BLOODHOUND Virus "remove". (0.31

    > seconds)
    >>
    >> You fucking gormless tit.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mr Floppy
    >> --
    >> There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered

    > mutant
    >> never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too
    >> rare to die.
    >> -Hunter S. Thompson-

    > Hello MR. Floppy,
    > Thanks for advice.

    Your welcome

    > Done that, been there, no teashirt I'm Afraid, Seen advice about update
    > for patch. Had already cleared internet/temp files

    You are a liar: Results 1 - 10 of about *29,500*
    look again.

    I dont give a **** what you do really.

    > As I was brought up.

    From that depth?, well done, you must be nearly ready to learn how to use
    cutlery.

    > not dragged up

    All that work, when someone could have pulled you along?

    > Many thanks for help
    > regards
    > Grodon

    Your welcome

    --
    Mr Floppy

    Mr Floppy, Mar 23, 2005
  8. gronod

    chrisv Guest

    gronod wrote:

    >Hello MR. Floppy,

    *plonk*

    chrisv, Mar 23, 2005
  9. gronod

    Lookout Guest

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:19:31 GMT, "gronod" <>
    wrote:

    >"Mr Floppy" <nospam@****--you.com> wrote in message
    >> gronod wiped, flushed and then wrote into 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> > Norton 2002 picked up on a "virus" called BLOODHOUND when an email

    >opened
    >> > in preview pane on outlook express.

    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 29,500 for BLOODHOUND Virus "remove". (0.31

    >seconds)
    >>
    >> You fucking gormless tit.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mr Floppy
    >> --
    >> There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered

    >mutant
    >> never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare
    >> to die.
    >> -Hunter S. Thompson-

    >Hello MR. Floppy,
    >Thanks for advice.
    >Done that, been there, no teashirt I'm Afraid, Seen advice about update for
    >patch. Had already cleared internet/temp files
    >However original post did say the virus was quarantined, therefore my comp
    >is safe from it, (says norton antivirus) Still left with problem of deleting
    >60,000 plus files left in norton anti virus quarantine folder. will try
    >again tho.
    >As I was brought up. not dragged up Many thanks for help
    >regards
    >Grodon
    >(gormless twit)
    >(expletive deleted)

    Boot to DOS and delete the directory.

    Lookout, Mar 23, 2005
  10. gronod

    gronod Guest

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:19:31 GMT, "gronod" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Mr Floppy" <nospam@****--you.com> wrote in message

    > >opened
    > >>
    > >>SNIP> >

    > Boot to DOS and delete the directory.

    Thanks for plain english answer, that gave me the idea to navigate through
    start/search/quarantine, upon trying to delete the folder, it gave me the
    message "folder too big for recycle bin, do you want to permanently
    delete?", to which I clicked yes. ( the folder size was 4.69 gb with
    60,000 plus files), and looks like some success at last. I shall no doubt
    have to add new folder called quarantine unless norton will create a new
    one, will email to ask them..
    Once again, Many thanks.
    Grodon

    gronod, Mar 23, 2005
  11. gronod

    Barney Guest

    chrisv <> had
    writtennews:eek::

    > gronod wrote:
    >
    >>Hello MR. Floppy,

    > *plonk*

    Double that *plonk* for Mr. Floppy

    --
    Barney __________________________
    Wisdom from the sleeping dogs!

    Barney, Mar 23, 2005
  12. gronod

    Steve P Guest

    >> Hello MR. Floppy,
    >> Thanks for advice.

    > Your welcome

    You're welcome
    ^^^^^

    Steve P, Mar 23, 2005
  13. gronod

    chrisv Guest

    Barney wrote:

    >chrisv <> had
    >writtennews:eek::
    >
    >> gronod wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello MR. Floppy,

    >> *plonk*

    >Double that *plonk* for Mr. Floppy

    I plonked that idiot a long time ago.

    chrisv, Mar 23, 2005
  14. gronod

    °Mike° Guest

    Bloodhound is the name given to ANY unknown virus, by
    Symantec. You should read your help file on how to
    clear out the quarantine folder -- I won't install Symantec
    products, so I can't help you there. You should also
    see the following page for removal instructions:
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/bloodhound.html

    Be SURE that you read the above page carefully.

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:05:44 GMT, in
    <c4c0e.115468$>
    gronod scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Mar 23, 2005
  15. gronod

    Barney Guest

    chrisv <> had
    writtennews::

    > I plonked that idiot a long time ago.

    You are far wiser!

    Barney, Mar 23, 2005
  16. gronod

    chrisv Guest

    Barney wrote:
    > chrisv <> had
    > writtennews::
    >

    >> I plonked that idiot a long time ago.
    >>

    > You are far wiser!

    *plonk*

    chrisv, Mar 23, 2005
  17. gronod

    Mr Floppy Guest

    Barney wiped, flushed and then wrote into alt.os.windows-xp:

    > chrisv <> had
    > writtennews:eek::
    >
    >> gronod wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello MR. Floppy,

    >> *plonk*
    >>

    > Double that *plonk* for Mr. Floppy

    w00t!! 2 in 1 thread!
    --
    Mr Floppy

    Mr Floppy, Mar 23, 2005
  18. gronod

    Barney Guest

    "chrisv" <> had writtennews:4241eb1a$0$29764$c3e8da3
    @news.astraweb.com:

    >> You are far wiser!

    > *plonk*

    Yes! I did wait longer then you.

    Barney, Mar 23, 2005
  19. gronod

    Mr Floppy Guest

    Steve P wiped, flushed and then wrote into 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> Hello MR. Floppy,
    >>> Thanks for advice.

    >> Your welcome
    >>

    > You're welcome
    > ^^^^^

    A spelling lame?

    Then again, What else should I expect from, 24hoursloppy.shitdesk

    --
    Mr Floppy

    Mr Floppy, Mar 23, 2005
  20. gronod wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Norton 2002 picked up on a "virus" called BLOODHOUND when an email opened
    > in preview pane on outlook express.

    "2002" is outdated. How did you even get it updated? Probably it didn't
    detect anything for a while and now you have a big big pond of sh$t.

    > After several warning boxes had been clicked, it showed that the "virus"
    > had been quaraintined but could not be deleted.
    > Searched google for "virus" name but no trace. searched symantec website,
    > it showed that norton had picked up on malicious code and had quarantined
    > the files belonging to "virus" .The name BLOODHOUND was given to the

    "Bloodhound" is the heuristic detection engine.

    > "virus" as norton did not recognise it as a previous known virus. I could
    > not submit to Symantec for checking, sending failed several times.
    > Taking the route start/c:/prog files/norton/quarantine I was able to
    > delete files one by one. But with 60,680 files to delete this is a very
    > longwinded process.

    You will have to disable Norton while you want to clean that folder. When
    running on fat(32), you can start from a dos floppy, access your c: drive
    and empty that quarantine directory.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Mar 24, 2005