Ping Michael Alligood & others re: MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Richard, Dec 26, 2006.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Hello Group
    I have been reading many posts concerning the MCDST test. I have already
    purchased the
    MS Press books for 271 & 272. I have an A+ but was taken in 1998. I do not
    work in the IT field
    but have had my hands in computers since 1994, both hardware and software. I
    have built many
    computers, setup small networks, I currently manage four (not much I
    know)computers where I work now.

    Michael, after reading your response to Ryan from 11/3 post...I believe I
    can pass this test after of course
    doing the studying and practice exams. I believe I am familiar with my weak
    spots, or at least some
    of them for 271. Namely the Active directory, group policies...etc.
    Basically I have never been
    involved with advanced networking procedures.

    I do have two computers at home (XP pro & Home) to setup a network, and
    practice these things.

    In the thread from 11/3 Jonathan Roberts said the MCDST was the way to
    go(for Ryan), you recommended
    the A+ & Network+ first

    My question...do you feel these two certs are important(or critical) to be
    able to pass the MCDST? Or... will I be at
    a distinct disadvantage if I don't have them?

    And, if so then I guess my A+ being 8 years old is meaningless

    Richard
    Richard, Dec 26, 2006

  2. Having your A+ and Network+ is not required in order to pass the exam.
    The reason it is a good idea to be familiar with the objectives covered
    in both said exams is knowing how to indentify and troubleshooting
    hardware/driver issues (which a good 70-271 study guide will teach you).
    As far as your stated weaknesses, review the skills measured here
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx#EXD to determine if
    those fall into those objectives. I do not believe that your weaknesses
    apply toward the 70-271 test -- definitely for the MCSA/MCSE. By your
    post, you seem to be proficient inside the computer. This will help in a
    small way. Use the link above and the 271 study guide to determine your
    new weaknesses and address those accordingly. We are here to help with
    any questions you have! Good Luck!

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Dec 27, 2006

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Michael
    Thanks for your response. I guess from reading the posts here I somehow came
    to believe
    that A.D. and such was a part of the exam, if not so much the better. I just
    started the 271 book
    so my post was perhaps a bit premature. Anyway I'm sure I'll have other
    questions in the following weeks to come.

    I will again review the link you gave.

    Again thanks for your time.

    Richard

    Richard, Dec 27, 2006
  4. No problem! I am glad I could point you in the right direction. Review
    those objectives, and post back with some weaknesses you feel you have.
    We will see what we can do for you.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Dec 27, 2006
  5. I am just starting reading the same book 70-271. I took the 272 and passed
    back on the 4th. Pretty soon i'll be hitting it hard again. I don't have A+
    or Network+. Which would be better to get? Which would be easier? lol I
    would like to have a little hardware certification, just for the heck of it.
    I don't want to put much time into it though. lol I have been the help desk
    for company for 3 years and I think I am very well rounded dealing with PCs.
    My college years focused on computer programming... C++ , Java, SQL , UNIX
    workstations and EMACS text editing. haha After those years were over, I
    developed a Visual Basic 6.0 program for a fitness center. Then I sold it to
    another fitness center. I am proud of that programming I put into it. It's
    an ongoing project. Maybe one day I'll make the big time. Until then I'm
    learning all this help desk support and network administration. Challenging!
    So much to know. I love being well-rounded. Hopefully one day it'll all pay
    off big dividends. I am probably going for the MCSA most likely after i get
    this MCDST in the books. Computers are challenging and you'll never learn
    all about them. I am hoping I am focusing on the right areas that will
    benefit my future in the long term. I don't think Active Directory and
    Windows Server knowledge will ever just fade out. XP might be unsupported
    like Windows 98 is now, but let's hope that isn't for a good length of time.

    Did anyone care to read that? I doubt I would have. haha I just wanted to
    rant I guess.......

    Keith Chilton, Dec 27, 2006
  6. Richard

    TurkReno Guest

    "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in

    > I don't have A+
    > or Network+.

    Get A+ then Net+. You'll save yourself a headache in the end, trust me.
    Employers in this area, even though I have more than the MCDST and a
    diploma will not consider me for employment because they're a$$backwards
    HR b!tches think that if you don't have A+ then your resume doesn't
    qualify...little do they know what the other acronyms mean.

    Finish your MCDST, get your A+. Good luck on 272, it was easier, imho,
    than 271.

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP #50
    TurkReno, Dec 27, 2006
  7. Richard

    TurkReno Guest

    "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in

    > I am probably going for the MCSA most likely after i get
    > this MCDST in the books

    BTW, MCDST does count as an elective towards MCSE, which you can take 6
    more tests after the MCDST and have an MCSA and MCSE...3 to get MCSA, 3
    additional to get MCSE......then take the upgrade to MCDST for Vista in
    February/March and have 4/5 certs...the 4 or 5 depends on if you ask
    Michael, he'll tell you that MCP alone counts for something =P.

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP #50
    TurkReno, Dec 27, 2006
  8. Interesting I'll take your advice. Thanks!

    --
    Keith Chilton - Data Services Technician / Proof Operator
    River Valley Financial Bank

    Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730

    messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any opinions or advice
    contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions in any
    applicable client engagement letter or agreement.

    Keith Chilton, Dec 27, 2006
  9. Very good advice. Many employers, hiring for any type of desktop support
    position, expect you to have you A+ certification. IMHO, I think CompTIA
    should only make MCDST's take the hardware portion of the exam. The
    software portion deals mainly with troubleshooting windows anyway -- and
    that is what your MCDST is for!

    The Network+ certification laid the foundation for me to pursue other
    avenues such as CCNA, and the CIW Certifications. It is a great
    certification to hold for those interested in pursuing other "network"
    certifications, and wanting a good foundation to build on.

    And many do not realize that both certifications (A+ and Network+) count
    toward your elective for your MCSA -- this is a moot point if you have
    your MCDST, which also counts as the elective.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Dec 27, 2006
  10. I might go for the A+ after the MCDST is done with then. I am sure I would
    learn quite a few useful things studying for the A+. Then maybe I'll pursue
    the MCSA exams. I feel like I have a very good understanding of Excel. I
    think maybe i need to either just buy an advanced book on Word to learn more
    about it. I don't know if I want to test on it. LoL I don't know if it's
    necessary to have a certification in Word for me. I think part of my reason
    for being here is figuring out where I want to go and who exactly I am.

    Keith Chilton, Dec 28, 2006
  11. Richard

    TurkReno Guest

    "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in

    > I might go for the A+ after the MCDST is done with then. I am sure I
    > would learn quite a few useful things studying for the A+. Then maybe
    > I'll pursue the MCSA exams. I feel like I have a very good
    > understanding of Excel. I think maybe i need to either just buy an
    > advanced book on Word to learn more about it. I don't know if I want
    > to test on it. LoL I don't know if it's necessary to have a
    > certification in Word for me. I think part of my reason for being here
    > is figuring out where I want to go and who exactly I am.

    MS Office certifications, unless you're a Certified Office Professional
    and love paperwork and R HAWT, then it is a pointless thing to even
    consider. I may just laugh really hard if I saw someone with a resume
    with that on it and then tell them good luck finding a job without
    telling them why I said that. That's being mean though and I don't mean
    to downplay it at all. Sure its important. But get this, MCDST shows
    that you're proficient in repairing and using Windows applications as
    well as the configuaration side of it, including Word and Excel. If you
    were to get a Word cert, it would be to me like you told me you
    graduated the 2nd grade and learned how to turn on a computer. I'd give
    you a gold star and send you on your way. Nevermind, I'm going to quit,
    you get the point.

    Finish the MCDST. Get your A+. If you really feel like you need to,
    get your N+ AFTER you get your A+. Then go for small goals like
    upgrading the MCDST to the Vista version or completing the curriculum to
    become an MCSA. Again, after you achieve that goal, three tests later,
    you have your MCSE.

    If you're unsure, the possibilities are endless. If you wanted to go
    the LAN/WAN Building route, you could get a CCNA which the
    certificiation alone makes you extremely marketable. If you wanted to
    just repair computers and talk on the phone, MCDST with the A+ will get
    you any job doing just that and make sure you demand the highest pay
    possible. Those two in combination show you're an expert. If you want
    to do programming, look into something like the Solutions Developer
    track or the like. Its up to you and if anything, finish the
    certification because you'll thank yourself for doing it now rather than
    putting it off and thinking it will get you nothing. Trust me, its well
    worth it.

    --
    Lasher
    MCDST, MCNGP #50
    TurkReno, Dec 28, 2006
  12. I appreciated your last post by the way TurkReno. Thank you

    Keith Chilton, Dec 30, 2006
  13. Richard

    TurkReno Guest

    "Keith Chilton" <> wrote in

    > I appreciated your last post by the way TurkReno. Thank you

    You are welcome. TurkReno is only what I go by as far as programming and
    other types of dealings. To the MCNGP, I am Lasher and always will be.
    Just letting you know to clear that up =) People constantly change their
    display name, but my signature will always show who I really am...as will
    the IP address.

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP #50