Ping John Bartlett. Was: All-in-one-Printer (win 98se)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jul 13, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Bartlett" typed:
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> My father (75) has been learning to use a Win 98se PC and would like
    >> to know where he can buy a multi-function printer, scanner, copier
    >> etc. that will work with Win98 - all the ones he's looked at only
    >> seem to support XP and later. Mind you that was at Noel Leeming etc.
    >>
    >> If anyone knows which of the current entry level multi functions for
    >> sale, Canon, HP, Epson, Brother or whatever that do work with Win 98,
    >> please let me know.

    If you're still around John I've just been going through my back shed
    lookingfor my motley collection of old CPUs to upgrade a machine and found a
    still-sealed Canon Pixma MP160 that states on the box that it supports 98SE.
    (Requires minimum P II 300MHz and 128MB RAM.)

    I bought it for ~$90 as it takes the same carts as my current Canon MFC and
    they come to $90 for one of each. (With this model Canon actually included
    *full* retail carts, not 'starter carts'.) I thought that, when I need the
    carts I might also cannibalise it for the PSU and the platen (mkes a good
    flat surface for lapping CPUs, CPU coolers...)

    However, if you are still looking and you want it you're welcomee to it
    either without the carts free, I'll swap you for two carts or you can have
    it for $90. I guess the only problem is location. I'm in Pukekohe.

    Hopefully you see this and reply...

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 13, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    Tony in Oz Guest

    I guess the only problem is location. I'm in Pukekohe.

    Whats the problem? It seems to be with Aucklanders. I used to live in Puke
    city before I came to aus, and people in Ork land seem to think its at the
    end of the earth. All of 40 mins drive ffs

    Tony in Oz, Jul 18, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Mark Robinson" typed:
    > Tony in Oz wrote:
    >> I guess the only problem is location. I'm in Pukekohe.
    >>
    >> Whats the problem? It seems to be with Aucklanders. I used to live
    >> in Puke city before I came to aus, and people in Ork land seem to
    >> think its at the end of the earth. All of 40 mins drive ffs

    Yeah, South Aucklanders don't seem to think it's too far but Aucks proper it
    is a bit of a drive. Still, it could be worse, I could be in Hamiltron. <g>

    > 40 minutes each way making 80 minutes driving.
    >
    > In my car that costs around $25 in petrol.
    >
    > Assume that the petrol is half the running cost of the car, there's
    > $50 with no allowance for human time.
    >
    > Suddenly a $90 printer which may be available at the shop around the
    > corner is not such a great deal.

    You'd be very lucky to find this in the shop around the corner, and for $90.
    They were obsoleted by the MP210 (which doesn't support 98SE and which is
    also now obsolete) and actually retailed for a lot closer to $250 than $90
    when they were in production. I got pretty much the last two from DSE, using
    my VIP club card, each for the price of the cartridges ($90). This one is
    still in a sealed box and I really didn't want to part with it, truth be
    told. I only offered it to help out a fellow nz.comp-er.

    I used the other one for over a year, then replaced it with this MP210 which
    uses the same carts. (I have a few saved up after a bad experience with an
    expensive printer a few years back and carts that were no longer available.)

    > Many people don't have money to throw around.
    >
    > If you do I could give you some addresses to send it to.
    >
    > ffs

    Yeah, like my address.

    FFS.
    --