Ping Florida and Vicinity

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by MikeF, Feb 26, 2005.

  1. MikeF

    MikeF Guest

    Do any of you guys who live or have lived in FLA know how close the
    following salary medians are to reality?

    Median Salary By Certification
    For Location:State=Florida
    Median

    Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) 47050

    A+ Service Technician 41000

    Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) 50000

    Engineer in Training (EIT) 45000

    Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) 51000

    Certified Professional Engineer (PE) 62000

    Network+ Service Technician 40000

    Microsoft Windows NT 50000

    Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) 45000

    this is from a site called payscale.com.

    Mike

    MikeF, Feb 26, 2005

  2. MikeF

    Guest Guest

    I have worked in South Florida IT for over 10 years and
    these #'s are pretty much on target.

    Guest, Feb 27, 2005

  3. MikeF

    Huddleston Guest

    "MikeF" <> wrote in message
    > Do any of you guys who live or have lived in FLA know how close the
    > following salary medians are to reality?
    >
    > Median Salary By Certification
    > For Location:State=Florida
    > Median
    >

    > Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) 47050
    >
    > A+ Service Technician 41000
    >
    > Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) 50000
    >
    > Engineer in Training (EIT) 45000
    >
    > Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) 51000
    >
    > Certified Professional Engineer (PE) 62000
    >
    > Network+ Service Technician 40000
    >
    > Microsoft Windows NT 50000
    >
    > Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) 45000
    >
    > this is from a site called payscale.com.

    They are a little high for Central Florida, I can tell you that. I don't
    know about South Florida, though. I have friends in North Florida,
    especially in Jacksonville, that have had to switch careers because salaries
    got so low. Same here in Orlando, but things are starting to bounce back.

    Florida is very hard to survey for salary info, because organizations like
    MCP Magazine like to bundle Florida with the southeast, including Georgia.
    The problem is, we have "Sunshine Rates" here that are caused by a
    burgeoning population, caused by great weather and no state income tax,
    creating too many people for too few jobs in the IT sector. Most of the
    jobs in Central Florida are in hospitality and tourism, and they don't pay
    much.

    If you have a four-year or master's degree you stand a much better chance of
    making a good living here. But there is no way in hell, knowing what I know
    about Florida, that I would move here without having a college degree.
    You're doomed to a low hourly wage otherwise, no matter what you do.

    Huddleston, Feb 27, 2005
  4. MikeF

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    you want an insider tip?

    whatever the people who are making a big fat pay cheque from your hard
    earned cash towards MCSE status tell you --> just multipy that my 0.25
    and you will get the real figure.

    peace & chill out..

    "MikeF" <> wrote in news:ujfVWZFHFHA.3216
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    --
    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    http://www.mcngp.com/

    Rowdy Yates, Mar 1, 2005
  5. MikeF

    Huddleston Guest

    "Rowdy Yates" <> wrote in message
    > you want an insider tip?
    >
    > whatever the people who are making a big fat pay cheque from your hard
    > earned cash towards MCSE status tell you --> just multipy that my 0.25
    > and you will get the real figure.

    The MCP Salary is complete and total fiction -- I firmly believe that.

    Huddleston, Mar 1, 2005
  6. MikeF

    MikeF Guest

    "Huddleston" <> wrote in message
    > "MikeF" <> wrote in message
    >
    > They are a little high for Central Florida, I can tell you that. I don't
    > know about South Florida, though. I have friends in North Florida,
    > especially in Jacksonville, that have had to switch careers because

    salaries
    > got so low. Same here in Orlando, but things are starting to bounce back.
    >
    > Florida is very hard to survey for salary info, because organizations like
    > MCP Magazine like to bundle Florida with the southeast, including Georgia.
    > The problem is, we have "Sunshine Rates" here that are caused by a
    > burgeoning population, caused by great weather and no state income tax,
    > creating too many people for too few jobs in the IT sector. Most of the
    > jobs in Central Florida are in hospitality and tourism, and they don't pay
    > much.
    >
    > If you have a four-year or master's degree you stand a much better chance

    of
    > making a good living here. But there is no way in hell, knowing what I

    know
    > about Florida, that I would move here without having a college degree.
    > You're doomed to a low hourly wage otherwise, no matter what you do.

    My mistake on location. I saw on your another post that you were in
    Orlando, then saw the header here and forgot.

    Well, I've got two college degrees, not in IT however. And three MCSEs,
    which somewhat relate to IT :) But I've also got gray hair, which probably
    cancels at least 1.33 MCSEs and maybe 1.66 MCSEs. :-< These things are hard
    to judge.

    I've been taking care of a couple of networks for small businesses and doing
    training - but my best networking client just folded his business and
    retired, which leaves me feeling itchy.

    I just talked to a FLA headhunter (who hadn't been there long :}) in Tampa
    and she had a desktop support/helpdesk job for which the top was 35 K.
    Which isn't bad for that kind of job. But as soon as the employer sees my
    resume, and most definitely as soon as they see my need for Grecian Formula,
    they will know that I am there looking for either a swift promotion or
    simply to pay the rent while looking for another job.

    So itchy as I am for relo, the prospects in florida look a bit dim.
    A friend on the west coast said wages suck - but cost of living has gone up
    to the point that it's very close to here ( New Jersey suburbs of
    Philadelphia).

    Even so, I'm a little surprised at your experience in Orlando. Everything
    I've heard suggests Orlando is booming, number one with a bullet. This is
    what it takes to push up IT salaries, but, apparently, that hasn't happened.
    The "Sunshine Rates" phenomenon, as you suggest in your post?

    Thanks for the reply,

    Mike

    MikeF, Mar 2, 2005
  7. MikeF

    Huddleston Guest

    "MikeF" <> wrote in message
    > Even so, I'm a little surprised at your experience in Orlando. Everything
    > I've heard suggests Orlando is booming, number one with a bullet. This is
    > what it takes to push up IT salaries, but, apparently, that hasn't
    > happened.
    > The "Sunshine Rates" phenomenon, as you suggest in your post?

    IT salaries and hourly rates were very high up until about 2000. We had a
    slight period of decline between 2000 and the time the 9/11 tragedy
    occurred. I mean to tell you, the dust hadn't even settled from that
    disaster and IT as we knew it in Florida, Orlando especially, was over. It
    never came back the way it was before. When the headhunters and training
    centers like Dershya went belly-up, you knew it was over.

    The theme parks are doing brisk business again, and the tourists are back.
    But that hasn't helped IT much. While we are seeing more job listings with
    higher salaries, there are still too many talented people with too few
    places to shop their wares. H-1B/L1 didn't help much either. They flat out
    took over Lake Mary/Heathrow. Siemens was hit especially hard by this, as
    one example.

    Huddleston, Mar 2, 2005