Ping error message

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Brendan J Cuffe, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    We have a very small network set up, a Netgear DG834M wireless modem/router
    to which we have a desktop, a laptop and a network printer connected with
    cables and we also connect another laptop wirelessly.

    Having problems with communicating with our printer (now resolved) I tried
    pinging the various connected devices from the DG834M and when I pinged the
    desktop computer I get the following:-

    Pinging 192.168.0.4 with 32 bytes of data:

    echo reply from 192.168.0.4 : bytes=32 time < 100ms TTL=128
    request time out,no response
    echo reply from 192.168.0.4 : bytes=32 time < 100ms TTL=128
    echo reply from 192.168.0.4 : bytes=32 time < 100ms TTL=128

    Ping statistics for 192.168.0.4:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1(25 %),
    Minimum < 100ms, Maximum = 3000ms, Average = 700ms

    What does the lost packet mean? Everyting seems to be working normally and
    if I ping connected devices, including the router from the desktop
    (192.168.0.4) they all respond and no packets are lost.

    I have tried another network cable between the DG834M and the desktop and it
    didn't make any difference. Dowe have a potential problem I should be
    worried about?

    Brendan
    (All replies to newsgroup please)

    Brendan J Cuffe, Feb 3, 2005

  2. Brendan J Cuffe

    Mark Gamache Guest

    A ping is just a small amount of data sent from one machine to another and
    then bounced back to the sender. If a packet is lost, it either didn't make
    it to the machine you are pining or the response didn't make it back.

    In windows, the default ping only sends 4 packets, which is sufficient to
    verify if a machine is up, but little else. 4 packets just isn't
    statistically relevant to determine whether you have a real issue.

    I use with the -n 100 switch in order to send many packets to get a better
    feel for how much I am dropping. also, in wireless, smaller packets tend to
    have a better chance of survival. I often use the -l 1000 switch to send
    larger packets.

    ping /? will give you the exact syntax on how to perform these tasks.

    From my experience, anything over 3% packet loss on a consistent basis is
    worth looking into. At around 15% you have a significant problem. In
    802.11 wireless, you can always expect to lose some packets.

    Cheers,

    --
    Mark Gamache
    Certified Security Solutions