Ping Dug - Firefox Temp Int Files.

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Loka-Moshin, Nov 5, 2007.

  1. Loka-Moshin

    Loka-Moshin Guest

    "Doug G" <> wrote in message
    > Loka-Moshin wrote:
    >>
    >> "dino" <> wrote in message

    >>> It helps if you ask the question you want answered in the first place
    >>> instead of asking a vague question and then complaining about the
    >>> answer you get which is correct!

    >>> You need to look better! Its in the main menu toolbar or you can use
    >>> CTRL H or you can put the icon in the Navigation Toolbar

    >> Found it and there was no list of Temp Internet Files (TIFs) where you
    >> can choose to keep one and remove another as in MSIE. How is that list
    >> found in WE? The path below leads to a list of meaningless numbers and
    >> not the list of TIFs.
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application
    >> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\uby8hjsk.default\Cache
    >>

    > While Firefox is the active window,

    You mean in WE or the Browser Window? There is nothing under Firefox called
    HISTORY. Where is it to be found? I don't see it in WE or on the Browser
    active window.

    click History(menu) > Show in
    > Sidebar Ctrl+H, right-click the entry you don't want and then right or
    > left-click Delete on the context menu.

    Which window is HISTORY located in? It's not in WE under Firefox Mozilla or
    Mozilla.

    Loka-Moshin, Nov 5, 2007

  2. On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 15:12:58 -0600, "Loka-Moshin" <>
    wrote:

    > You mean in WE or the Browser Window? There is nothing under Firefox
    > called HISTORY. Where is it to be found? I don't see it in WE or on the
    > Browser active window.

    In Firefox, you should be able to view the history sidebar by one of three
    methods.

    1. Using the mouse, click on the View menu, then Sidebar,
    then History

    2. Using the keyboard, simply press Ctrl-H

    3. Go to View | Toolbars | Customize, and drag the History
    icon to your Menu bar or Navigation bar, where you can
    access it in the future with a single mouse click.

    The History is nothing more than a list of pages that you've previously
    visited. They are not actually stored on your system - unless they also
    happen to be in your cache as well.

    The length of time pages are stored in your history depends of what you
    have set in Tools | Options | Privacy | Remember visited pages for the last
    ? days, and on whether you have Firefox set to clear private data with the
    option for history enabled. Having a huge number of days specified for
    history can degrade performance, Generally, a week is enough for most
    people. If you need to go back to something older than that, it might be a
    good idea to make a bookmark (favorite in IE) of it.

    The temporary internet files in IE would probably be more closely related
    to the cache files in Firefox. For speed in indexing the cache files,
    Firefox stores them under generated names of uniform length, which appear
    meaning less to most people when they view the cache folder. You can tell
    what is in the cache in Firefox by typing

    about:cache?device=disk

    into the location bar. From the resulting cache screen, you can see a list
    of all the temporary internet (cached) files. You can click on any one of
    the cached files for more info on that file, and from there, you can right
    click and save that file to a new location or name if desired. There is no
    way to individually delete the cached files in Firefox, nor is there a need
    to. Cache files, by design, are supposed to be temporary. They are
    constantly being changed and replaced during normal browsing. The entire
    cache can be deleted by going to Tools | Options | Advanced, and clicking
    on the Clear Now button. Or, you can delete the contents of the Cache
    folder using Windows Explorer. Those cryptic named files in the Cache
    folder are the same file you are seeing when you type
    about:cache?device=disk while in Firefox. The browser just knows what the
    real filenames are supposed to be, whereas Windows Explorer doesn't.

    There is no need to use Windows explorer for anything having to do with
    Firefox. The history and cache are meant to be looked at, used and
    controlled from within Firefox itself.

    You can set Firefox to automatically clear the cache upon exiting, with or
    without asking. You can set it to not use a cache at all, which I wouldn't
    recommend, unless you have an incredibly fast connect to the net. You can
    set your history to 0 days, if you want no history of previously visited
    sites. There is a lot of control, but deleting individual cache entries
    from inside the browser doesn't appear to something you can, or should,
    need to do. For example, if there is a problem file in the cache, or you
    need to recover some space used by the cache, just clear the entire cache.
    That is harmless, and it fills up again as you continue to browse. The
    cached files are entirely separate than the browser history, which only
    stores links to visited pages. And both of those are entirely separate from
    bookmarks (favorites). Bookmarks are stored similar to the history, in that
    they are links to pages, rather than the actual pages themselves. The main
    difference being that bookmarks are designed to be permanent, until you
    purposely remove them, whereas, history link are designed to scroll out of
    existence as they become older than a specified number of day. Stuff in the
    cache is usually the short-living of all, but is actual content and pages,
    rather than just links.

    I hope this helps you to understand better how it works, and what's
    different from IE. Nothing in Windows explorer really has much to do with
    Firefox.

    --
    FoxWolfie

    FoxWolfie Galen, Nov 6, 2007

  3. Loka-Moshin

    Doug G Guest

    Loka-Moshin wrote:

    > "Doug G" <> wrote in message
    >> Loka-Moshin wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "dino" <> wrote in message

    >>> Found it and there was no list of Temp Internet Files (TIFs) where you
    >>> can choose to keep one and remove another as in MSIE. How is that list
    >>> found in WE? The path below leads to a list of meaningless numbers and
    >>> not the list of TIFs.
    >>>
    >>> C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application
    >>> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\uby8hjsk.default\Cache
    >>>

    >> While Firefox is the active window,

    > You mean in WE or the Browser Window? There is nothing under Firefox
    > called HISTORY. Where is it to be found? I don't see it in WE or on
    > the Browser active window.
    >
    > click History(menu) > Show in
    >> Sidebar Ctrl+H, right-click the entry you don't want and then right or
    >> left-click Delete on the context menu.

    > Which window is HISTORY located in? It's not in WE under Firefox
    > Mozilla or Mozilla.

    For me the History menu is on the Firefox menu bar between the View and
    Bookmarks menus. I assumed it was a default menu because I don't
    remember checking anything to get it there. SeaMonkey has a Go menu in
    the same spot and it has nearly the same options.

    Doug G, Nov 7, 2007
  4. Loka-Moshin

    Loka-Moshin Guest

    "FoxWolfie Galen" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 15:12:58 -0600, "Loka-Moshin" <>
    > wrote:

    brevity snips

    > into the location bar. From the resulting cache screen, you can see a list
    > of all the temporary internet (cached) files. You can click on any one of
    > the cached files for more info on that file, and from there, you can right
    > click and save that file to a new location or name if desired. There is no
    > way to individually delete the cached files in Firefox, nor is there a
    > need
    > to. Cache files, by design, are supposed to be temporary. They are
    > constantly being changed and replaced during normal browsing. The entire
    > cache can be deleted by going to Tools | Options | Advanced, and clicking
    > on the Clear Now button. Or, you can delete the contents of the Cache
    > folder using Windows Explorer.

    How and where is it found in Windows Explorer? I can't locate them there.

    > There is no need to use Windows explorer for anything having to do with
    > Firefox. The history and cache are meant to be looked at, used and
    > controlled from within Firefox itself.

    Thanks, got it and you post has been most helpful. :^)

    > I hope this helps you to understand better how it works, and what's
    > different from IE. Nothing in Windows explorer really has much to do with
    > Firefox.

    Thank you much, yes, this has been most helpful.

    Loka-Moshin, Nov 25, 2007
  5. Loka-Moshin

    Loka-Moshin Guest

    "Doug G" <> wrote in message
    > For me the History menu is on the Firefox menu bar between the View and
    > Bookmarks menus. I assumed it was a default menu because I don't remember
    > checking anything to get it there. SeaMonkey has a Go menu in the same
    > spot and it has nearly the same options.

    Thanks to all of you.........

    Loka-Moshin, Nov 25, 2007
  6. On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 22:35:57 -0600, "Loka-Moshin" <> wrote:

    > "FoxWolfie Galen" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Cache files, by design, are supposed to be temporary. They are
    > > constantly being changed and replaced during normal browsing. The
    > > entire cache can be deleted by going to Tools | Options | Advanced,
    > > and clicking on the Clear Now button. Or, you can delete the contents
    > > of the Cache folder using Windows Explorer.

    > How and where is it found in Windows Explorer? I can't locate them there.

    You probably saw them before as meaningless-looking filenames. The Firefox
    cache files are located under the Firefox profile folder. The location
    differs depending on one's operating system. To locate it on your system,
    go into Firefox and type about:cache into the location bar. The resulting
    screen should display the desired info. Near the bottom of that screen is a
    line that says "Cache Directory:". This is the location you would go to
    from Windows Explorer. Be aware that the cache folder, and probably the
    entire Firefox profile may be hidden, so be sure you have Explorer set to
    view hidden files and folders.

    You can go into the cache folder and delete everything using Explorer, but
    it's usually best to just delete the cache from within Firefox itself. If
    you happen to move or delete a cached file that the browser was currently
    using, you could potentially cause a crash. It is best to not mess with a
    program's profile or cache while it is still running. The filenames in the
    cache folder will appear to be meaningless, so there really is little
    benefit to even looking at them from Explorer. Each file in the cache
    corresponds to an HTML file, an image, a video, or some other item that was
    encountered during your recent browsing. Their names are in a format that
    is more efficient for Firefox, but not meant to be parsed by humans. Since
    the cache is an ever-changing folder that is maintained by the browser,
    there is little need to manually delete or look at the files individually.
    Those who do have that sort of need generally know which of those weirdly
    named files to go after. For example, if I want an .mp3 file that couldn't
    otherwise be saved, I might go into my cache to locate the most likely
    entry, check it with a hex viewer to be sure, then copy and rename it to
    reflect what it really is. The average person simply doesn't need to look
    at the cache. :)
    --
    FoxWolfie

    FoxWolfie Galen, Nov 26, 2007