    it? In other words is the COA worth anything?

    TIA,
    JohnO
    JohnO, Jun 16, 2005

  2. JohnO

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > ... and other know-its:
    >
    > If I buy a 2nd hand PC that has a COA sticker but no CD, can I obtain a
    > copy of the OS CD as per the COA sticker or do I just have to go buy
    > it? In other words is the COA worth anything?
    >
    > TIA,
    > JohnO

    You're going to be buying as is, but no one is forcing you to buy it.
    Any used PC is no longer going to have XP in it's original state as it's
    registry gets buggered around with after many programs have been added and
    deleted. What state it's in is the chance that you take.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jun 16, 2005

  3. JohnO

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in
    nz.comp on 15 Jun 2005 19:19:06 -0700, JohnO <>
    says...
    > ... and other know-its:
    >
    > If I buy a 2nd hand PC that has a COA sticker but no CD, can I obtain a
    > copy of the OS CD as per the COA sticker or do I just have to go buy
    > it? In other words is the COA worth anything?

    The license sticker is your license. It can be used with any CD, provided
    the CD is of a type that is used with that type of license number.
    Rob J, Jun 16, 2005
  4. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    OK, that's cool - but where/how can one legally obtain the CD, without
    having to pay for another licence?

    Cheers,
    JohnO
    JohnO, Jun 17, 2005
  5. JohnO wrote:
    > OK, that's cool - but where/how can one legally obtain the CD, without
    > having to pay for another licence?

    usually you can just ring MS, and pay a small fee for the media(~$5 I
    think), and viola.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 17, 2005
  6. "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    > ... and other know-its:
    >
    > If I buy a 2nd hand PC that has a COA sticker but no CD, can I obtain a
    > copy of the OS CD as per the COA sticker or do I just have to go buy
    > it? In other words is the COA worth anything?
    >
    > TIA,
    > JohnO

    Sorry for the slow response, it's been One of Those Weeks. I'll ask around
    and get back to you ASAP

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ
    Brett Roberts, Jun 17, 2005
  7. "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    > ... and other know-its:
    >
    > If I buy a 2nd hand PC that has a COA sticker but no CD, can I obtain a
    > copy of the OS CD as per the COA sticker or do I just have to go buy
    > it? In other words is the COA worth anything?
    >
    > TIA,
    > JohnO

    Hi John,
    please give Microsoft Services a call on 0800 800-004 (business hours,
    Monday-Friday) and they should be able to help. Also, the comment made
    elsewhere on this thread by Rob J about using another person's CD is correct
    and a lot of people use this approach if/when they need to re-install. One
    last point, PC manufacturers who have a direct licensing relationship with
    Microsoft (HP, Dell, Toshiba etc all the way down to local OEM's such as
    Arche and a few others) make their own decision as to whether they'll ship a
    Windows CD with each new PC. Those that don't often include a full Windows
    image in a hidden partition on the hard disk so it might pay to call the PC
    manufacturer's helpdesk to see if there's one there.

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ
    Brett Roberts, Jun 17, 2005
  8. JohnO

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    >
    >> OK, that's cool - but where/how can one legally obtain the CD, without
    >> having to pay for another licence?

    > usually you can just ring MS, and pay a small fee for the media(~$5 I
    > think), and viola.

    What the hell do you do with the viola? Why does MS have so many to give
    away?
    -=rjh=-, Jun 17, 2005
  9. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    Thanks Brett et al !
    JohnO, Jun 17, 2005
  10. On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:39:54 +1200, -=rjh=- <> wrote in

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> JohnO wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK, that's cool - but where/how can one legally obtain the CD, without
    >>> having to pay for another licence?

    >> usually you can just ring MS, and pay a small fee for the media(~$5 I
    >> think), and viola.
    >>

    > What the hell do you do with the viola? Why does MS have so many to give
    > away?

    Maybe they're on the fiddle ... or think you are?

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    .... Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter, and
    those who matter don't mind.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 17, 2005
  11. JohnO

    Matty F Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > JohnO wrote:
    >
    >> OK, that's cool - but where/how can one legally obtain the CD, without
    >> having to pay for another licence?

    > usually you can just ring MS, and pay a small fee for the media(~$5 I
    > think), and viola.

    They give you a viola as well? How about a violin instead? :)
    Matty F, Jun 17, 2005
  12. JohnO

    H.O.G Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:38:54 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> spoke these fine words:

    >JohnO wrote:
    >> OK, that's cool - but where/how can one legally obtain the CD, without
    >> having to pay for another licence?

    >usually you can just ring MS, and pay a small fee for the media(~$5 I
    >think), and viola.

    Actually, $50 for media.

    Crazy, ay.
    H.O.G, Jun 17, 2005
  13. JohnO

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    "Brett Roberts" <> wrote:

    > ... Also, the comment made
    >elsewhere on this thread by Rob J about using another person's CD is correct
    >and a lot of people use this approach if/when they need to re-install.

    Can I quote you on that? It appears to contradict the MS EULA which says,
    in summary, that the COA applies to the particular OEM build licensed to the
    OEM installer for the install. Using any other build (or a retail build)
    invalidates the COA.

    I suspect MS take a common-sense approach to this, in the same way as the
    record companies aren't about to prosecute anyone ripping a CD that they own
    onto their iPod, but the right is reserved.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    -- Microsoft advertisement on the box for Windows 2.11 for 286
    Don Hills, Jun 17, 2005
  14. JohnO

    shannon Guest

    Don Hills wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Brett Roberts" <> wrote:
    >
    >> ... Also, the comment made
    >>elsewhere on this thread by Rob J about using another person's CD is correct
    >>and a lot of people use this approach if/when they need to re-install.

    > Can I quote you on that? It appears to contradict the MS EULA which says,
    > in summary, that the COA applies to the particular OEM build licensed to the
    > OEM installer for the install. Using any other build (or a retail build)
    > invalidates the COA.
    >
    > I suspect MS take a common-sense approach to this, in the same way as the
    > record companies aren't about to prosecute anyone ripping a CD that they own
    > onto their iPod, but the right is reserved.

    Yup
    It stops vendors from selling pre loaded ipods
    shannon, Jun 17, 2005
  15. JohnO

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on Sat, 18 Jun
    2005 00:52:18 +1200, Don Hills <> says...
    > In article <>,
    > "Brett Roberts" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > ... Also, the comment made
    > >elsewhere on this thread by Rob J about using another person's CD is correct
    > >and a lot of people use this approach if/when they need to re-install.

    > Can I quote you on that? It appears to contradict the MS EULA which says,
    > in summary, that the COA applies to the particular OEM build licensed to the
    > OEM installer for the install. Using any other build (or a retail build)
    > invalidates the COA.

    From my POV that depends on whether the OEM is using a recovery CD or a
    vanilla XP OEM CD. The latter can be got elsewhere easily enough.
    Rob J, Jun 21, 2005
  16. -=rjh=- wrote:
    >>> OK, that's cool - but where/how can one legally obtain the CD, without
    >>> having to pay for another licence?

    >> usually you can just ring MS, and pay a small fee for the media(~$5 I
    >> think), and viola.

    > What the hell do you do with the viola? Why does MS have so many to give
    > away?

    ok, so my spelling isn't up to it, I may have mean "voila"...
    "so many to give away?"
    for people who break their CDs.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.