    Seems it's related to the default Metacity windows manager.
    When I switch to Compiz windows manager and use an Emerald theme
    say the Legacy 0.1 engine, the crashes seem to have disappeared.
    Meat Plow, Jul 10, 2010

  2. Meat Plow

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:01:35 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > Found something interesting about Pan crashing after posting. Seems it's
    > related to the default Metacity windows manager. When I switch to Compiz
    > windows manager and use an Emerald theme say the Legacy 0.1 engine, the
    > crashes seem to have disappeared.

    At present my Mandriva box, on which the problem occurs, is in pieces on
    the table, so for the moment the crash problem isn't important. Thanks
    for the heads up, though.

    On this Ubuntu box with Gnome, it does occasionally (very rarely)
    disappear for some random, unapparent reason. Not often enough to be what
    I consider a problem, just a minor irritant.

    BTW Got a link?

    Aardvark, Jul 10, 2010

  3. Meat Plow

    chuckcar Guest

    Aardvark <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:01:35 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> Found something interesting about Pan crashing after posting. Seems
    >> it's related to the default Metacity windows manager. When I switch
    >> to Compiz windows manager and use an Emerald theme say the Legacy 0.1
    >> engine, the crashes seem to have disappeared.

    > At present my Mandriva box, on which the problem occurs, is in pieces
    > on the table, so for the moment the crash problem isn't important.
    > Thanks for the heads up, though.
    >
    > On this Ubuntu box with Gnome, it does occasionally (very rarely)
    > disappear for some random, unapparent reason. Not often enough to be
    > what I consider a problem, just a minor irritant.

    Check the log in /var/log. It's got an obvious name. It keeps a backup of
    the last time X was started, but no more than that.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 10, 2010
  4. Meat Plow

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 18:20:31 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Aardvark <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:01:35 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>
    >>> Found something interesting about Pan crashing after posting. Seems
    >>> it's related to the default Metacity windows manager. When I switch to
    >>> Compiz windows manager and use an Emerald theme say the Legacy 0.1
    >>> engine, the crashes seem to have disappeared.

    >> At present my Mandriva box, on which the problem occurs, is in pieces
    >> on the table, so for the moment the crash problem isn't important.
    >> Thanks for the heads up, though.
    >>
    >> On this Ubuntu box with Gnome, it does occasionally (very rarely)
    >> disappear for some random, unapparent reason. Not often enough to be
    >> what I consider a problem, just a minor irritant.

    > Check the log in /var/log. It's got an obvious name. It keeps a backup
    > of the last time X was started, but no more than that.

    Really? Pray, do tell more, oh wondrous guru of the PC.

    Aardvark, Jul 10, 2010
  5. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 17:58:33 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:01:35 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> Found something interesting about Pan crashing after posting. Seems
    >> it's related to the default Metacity windows manager. When I switch to
    >> Compiz windows manager and use an Emerald theme say the Legacy 0.1
    >> engine, the crashes seem to have disappeared.

    > At present my Mandriva box, on which the problem occurs, is in pieces on
    > the table, so for the moment the crash problem isn't important. Thanks
    > for the heads up, though.
    >
    > On this Ubuntu box with Gnome, it does occasionally (very rarely)
    > disappear for some random, unapparent reason. Not often enough to be
    > what I consider a problem, just a minor irritant.
    >
    > BTW Got a link?

    No link. I just noticed with Metacity not being the windows manager Pan
    did not boink out ofter hitting the post button. This is on the new
    PhenomII quad core AMD boxen now dual boot 7 and Man 2010 PP.
    It was getting to the point when it would crash with every other post
    and I was ready to Wine Agent 6. However since I enjoy the useful
    features of Compiz it was installed. I had a little bit of a tussle
    getting it to work with NVidia as others have. I have to start it in the
    forced mode where it forces out the current window manager and replaces
    it with Compiz. That doesn't enable all the features though. In order to
    enbale all I have to start the fusion-icon. These commands are both
    issues in the startup applications. Didn't have to jump through those
    hoops on the laptop, I guess with an ATI card it's a seamless install.
    Once Compiz was the window manager and some tweaks to the Emerald them
    just for personal eye candy I tried a few posts in Pan and haven't
    experienced any crashes so far. Still using the GTK windows decorator
    over Emerald so I know it had nothing to do with that. The crash did seem
    to occur while redrawing the screen to go back to the selected header you
    replied to. I've had it crash just canceling a post I was going to make
    so it had nothing to do with actually sending the article. That's about
    all i can comment on.
    Meat Plow, Jul 11, 2010
  6. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 18:20:31 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Aardvark <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:01:35 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>
    >>> Found something interesting about Pan crashing after posting. Seems
    >>> it's related to the default Metacity windows manager. When I switch to
    >>> Compiz windows manager and use an Emerald theme say the Legacy 0.1
    >>> engine, the crashes seem to have disappeared.

    >> At present my Mandriva box, on which the problem occurs, is in pieces
    >> on the table, so for the moment the crash problem isn't important.
    >> Thanks for the heads up, though.
    >>
    >> On this Ubuntu box with Gnome, it does occasionally (very rarely)
    >> disappear for some random, unapparent reason. Not often enough to be
    >> what I consider a problem, just a minor irritant.

    > Check the log in /var/log. It's got an obvious name. It keeps a backup
    > of the last time X was started, but no more than that.

    WTF?
    Meat Plow, Jul 11, 2010