    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Nov 17, 2009

  2. Oldus Fartus

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:39:40 +0800, Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/ygg3ooo
    >
    > They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not
    > weary them, nor the years condemn At the going down of the sun and in
    > the morning We will remember them.

    Despite the fact that reading the link saddened me somewhat, thanks mate.
    Every time I hear of one of those old blokes going I think the world has
    become a somewhat poorer place, the values that they represented fading as
    the years pass.

    --
    Half a bee, philosophically, must ipso facto half not be. But half
    the bee has got to be, vis-à-vis its entirety - d'you see? But can

    Aardvark, Nov 17, 2009

  3. Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Aardvark wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:39:40 +0800, Oldus Fartus wrote:
    >
    >> http://preview.tinyurl.com/ygg3ooo
    >>
    >> They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not
    >> weary them, nor the years condemn At the going down of the sun and in
    >> the morning We will remember them.

    > Despite the fact that reading the link saddened me somewhat, thanks mate.
    > Every time I hear of one of those old blokes going I think the world has
    > become a somewhat poorer place, the values that they represented fading as
    > the years pass.

    It seemed appropriate to post the link after our discussion on the SAS,
    of which Z-force was the predecessor.

    I grew up in Perth, West Australia and Jack, his brother Dixie and a few
    other businessmen were friends of my step-father. I only met Jack a
    couple of times, and he was a most unassuming man.

    (As an aside, these guys used to meet weekly for "choir practice" and it
    puzzled me for a long time why a group of blokes who couldn't sing,
    would meet as a choir. Eventually of course, I found out the only
    singing done was after a night on the singing syrup.)

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Nov 17, 2009
  4. Oldus Fartus

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:37:59 +0800, Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:39:40 +0800, Oldus Fartus wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/ygg3ooo
    >>>
    >>> They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not
    >>> weary them, nor the years condemn At the going down of the sun and in
    >>> the morning We will remember them.

    >> Despite the fact that reading the link saddened me somewhat, thanks
    >> mate. Every time I hear of one of those old blokes going I think the
    >> world has become a somewhat poorer place, the values that they
    >> represented fading as the years pass.
    >>

    > It seemed appropriate to post the link after our discussion on the SAS,
    > of which Z-force was the predecessor.

    One of the predecessors. The LRDG in North Africa and Chindits in Burma
    being two others.

    > I grew up in Perth, West Australia and Jack, his brother Dixie and a few
    > other businessmen were friends of my step-father. I only met Jack a
    > couple of times, and he was a most unassuming man.

    So many were/are, my dad included.

    In the latter years of his life he was pretty forthcoming and detailed
    about his wartime experiences. All that it took was for me to ask the
    right questions. I used to spend hours on the phone chatting to him about
    matters martial and military, which I think we both enjoyed. He would
    always expect that if any of us phoned and he answered, after a few
    pleasantries he would have to pass the phone to my mum, who could talk the
    leg off a stool. I could tell he was always surprised and pleased at the
    realisation that I was only calling to speak to him. I was glad when he
    died in October 2007, because he was finally out of pain, but felt a great
    sense of loss. Even now I'll pick the phone up to phone him about
    something to do with his life and suddenly realise that I can't. That
    takes the wind out of my sails.

    Any issues he and I may have ever had were resolved wordlessly during all
    those hours over the phone and I have none of that 'if only' shit that so
    many have when one close to them dies.

    On the day of his funeral I had more fun than I'd had in a long time :)

    What's the difference between an Irish funeral and an Irish wedding?

    One less drunk :)

    > (As an aside, these guys used to meet weekly for "choir practice" and it
    > puzzled me for a long time why a group of blokes who couldn't sing,
    > would meet as a choir. Eventually of course, I found out the only
    > singing done was after a night on the singing syrup.)

    LOL: "When I was a child I spoke as a child I understood as a child I
    thought as a child; but when I became a man I put away childish things." I
    Cor. xiii. 11.

    Aardvark, Nov 17, 2009
  5. Oldus Fartus

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 01:08:42 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

    > Thanks for sharing.

    Eh?

    --
    Well, of course, this is just the sort of blinkered philistine pig-
    ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage! You sit

    Aardvark, Nov 19, 2009