Pin 1

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mike R, Aug 23, 2003.

  1. Mike R

    Mike R Guest

    Mike R, Aug 23, 2003

  2. On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:42:31 +1200, "Mike R" <>
    wrote:

    >How do you which end is pin 1 for the floppy drive on the mother mother
    >board if it is not marked or not in the manual .It is a iwill ka266plus
    >http://www.iwillusa.com/products/ProductDetail.asp?vID=41&CID=
    >
    >What happens if it is the wrong way around
    >
    >Thanks Mike

    Done it a few times, the drive light will come on..

    Robert Kramer, Aug 23, 2003

  3. Mike R

    Mike R Guest

    Does it do any damage

    Mike R, Aug 23, 2003
  4. Mike R

    Paul Guest

    Pin 1 on cables floppy or ide (hard drive)
    have a stripe (red or blue, on one side
    of the cable), and the floppy connection
    usually has 1 pin on the motherboard
    missing (or an empty pin thing on the cable)
    so it matches the motherboard connection.

    Usually the connection, on the mobo
    will only go one way. You'll know the
    thing is round the wrong way (on the
    floppy end) coz the light wont
    go off on the floppy disk (from the front)

    Paul, Aug 23, 2003
  5. Mike R

    Mike R Guest

    what do you think the reason for a cpu to fail could be it made no noise it
    didnt even look for the AGP >IF IT WAS ALRIGHT WHEN I GOT IT ? WHAT COULD I
    HAVE DONE WRONG >

    Mike R, Aug 23, 2003
  6. Mike R

    Paul Guest

    Whats the exact message that comes
    up Mike? Does the computer boot
    at all? Does the monitor come on?

    If the monitor comes on, it cant
    be your AGP card. Otherwise you
    wouldnt see anything on the screen!

    Whats the AGP card? And whats your
    motherboard? Some computers wont
    boot, if the AGP card you have is 3.3v.

    If the motherboard can only support
    1.5v for the AGP card. And you try
    and put a 3.3v AGP card, the PC
    wont boot. This is to protect it from
    frying your motherboard. When you
    put the wrong voltage AGP card in.

    Paul, Aug 23, 2003
  7. Mike R

    Mike R Guest

    Thanks for your help I appreciate it .
    The monitor doesnt go on at all with the 1800+xp but will boot alright with
    my friends 1600 and my 1800 would not go on his either could I have done
    something to fry it or could it be the motherboard or could it just be a
    faulty cpu. If my board wont support an 1800 could it fry the cpu it is a
    iwill KA266 plus
    http://www.iwillusa.com/products/ProductDetail.asp?vID=41&CID= thanks Mike

    Mike R, Aug 23, 2003
  8. On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:51:09 +1200, "Mike R" <>
    wrote:

    >Does it do any damage

    Not is the few times that I have done it..

    The sort of standard is that Pin 1 should be next to the power connector

    Robert Kramer, Aug 23, 2003
  9. Mike R

    Paul Guest

    I've looked at the site u gave Mike.

    It should be able to support that 1800+XP
    CPU (the motherboard supports up to 1900+)

    Was the 1800+ CPU working before?
    If it was, when? how long ago?

    Or did you just buy it? And did you
    put the new CPU in? And did you
    put the fan back on top of the CPU
    after you installed it? You sure you
    turned the power back on? flicked
    the switch on the case to on?

    If you put the 1600 back in, and it works now
    then its not the motherboard that doesnt
    work. It's definitely that 1800+ CPU.

    Umm, this 1800+ cpu. Were you trying
    to put it in the computer you're on now?

    Or another computer?

    Paul, Aug 23, 2003
  10. Mike R

    Paul Guest

    Nope the 1600 should still work.

    Just make sure you DONT touch the pins
    on the CPU. You'll fry it with static.

    (hold the cpu by the sides).

    Thats the only reason, at the mo, I can think
    of why it (the 1800+) wont / doesnt work.

    Umm the 2nd site you gave MUST be
    definitely wrong. As it says upto 1.2!

    (altho iwill.net looks like it is part of Iwill
    which is based in Taiwan).

    That cant be right, coz u had a 1600 in
    it and it worked! The only thing I can
    think of for that, is ones an earlier version
    (the 2nd one) to the 1st site you gave me.

    I would go for the USA site, I think
    that'll more up to date than the 2nd site.

    Where's the 1600 cpu now?

    And where r you? In Auckland?
    If so, where?

    "Mike R" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Paul the power was on and the fan was spinning and the power light went
    > on at the case.
    > It is on another board.
    > It was a new cpu I sent it back and hope to get another .But it worries me
    > it might happen again.
    > iwills usa site has different specs than the global; one try this one
    > http://www.iwill.net/products/ProductDetail.asp?vID=41&CID= If the 1800

    blew

    Paul, Aug 23, 2003
  11. Mike R

    Mike R Guest

    I am in Dunedin the 1600 is back in my friends computer .
    I was wearing an anti static strap

    Mike R, Aug 23, 2003
  12. Mike R

    Paul Guest

    The other thing, I have just
    thought of Mike, is whoever
    replaced the CPU, may have knocked
    a wire off the motherboard, to do with
    the power connection (which goes from
    the switch on the case) to the connection
    on the motherboard? That wld be another
    reason why nothing will boot!

    Paul, Aug 23, 2003
  13. Mike R

    Mike R Guest

    I tried it in my friends after mine and it didnt work

    Mike R, Aug 23, 2003
  14. Mike R

    Paul Guest

    Ok. Umm, and whats his system?

    Can it support up to or higher than 1800?

    Yer other than that, I would say it
    was faulty when you got it. Since
    you were wearing an anti-static strap.

    So, you couldnt have damaged it.

    ?

    Paul, Aug 23, 2003
  15. On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 20:06:14 +1200, "Paul" <> wrote:

    >Nope no damage Mike. But it wont
    >work, if you put a floppy in, and most
    >probably wont get recognised
    >by the BIOS, since its round the wrong
    >way.
    >
    >The LED on the floppy drive just wont go off!

    Paul how big is your PSU..??

    Robert Kramer, Aug 23, 2003
  16. On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:46:11 +1200, Robert Kramer wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:42:31 +1200, "Mike R" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>How do you which end is pin 1 for the floppy drive on the mother mother
    >>board if it is not marked or not in the manual

    Look at the orientation of the other cables, it will be the same way.

    if there's a missing pin, that's the pin1 end of the cable.

    >>What happens if it is the wrong way around

    > Done it a few times, the drive light will come on..

    And if there's a floppy disk in the drive, it will be _erased_.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 23, 2003
  17. Mike R

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:42:31 +1200, "Mike R" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >How do you which end is pin 1 for the floppy drive on the mother mother
    > >board if it is not marked or not in the manual .It is a iwill ka266plus
    > >http://www.iwillusa.com/products/ProductDetail.asp?vID=41&CID=
    > >
    > >What happens if it is the wrong way around
    > >
    > >Thanks Mike
    > >

    > Done it a few times, the drive light will come on..

    This is the so called technician who tries to tell us all how to do
    everything?

    Mainlander, Aug 24, 2003