    --
    Thanks in advance

    Remove the XXX to reply
    Click, Jul 12, 2003

  2. "Click" <> wrote in
    news:3f0fa686$0$20079$:

    > Just curious. If for instance you have a camera that has 4 millions
    > pixels realize that all of these pixels will be used in capturing your
    > photo. But what happens when you opt to capture at a lower resolution?
    > Does the camera just use some of the pixels or does it use all of the
    > pixels & then resample downwards? Does this matter or would the end
    > results be the same?

    The camera resamples, just as your favourite photo editor.

    And yes, using just a subset of the pixels will lead
    to much worse quality.

    Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Jul 12, 2003

  3. ""And yes, using just a subset of the pixels will lead
    to much worse quality.""

    And this too, depends on the camera used and the compression it applies to
    smaller pixel sizes.

    Olympus cameras for instance, many times allow the user to use a "super high
    quality" even on the small 640x480 images, resulting in lower compression
    and much sharper smaller images for web use. Sony cameras use more
    compression on their 640x480 size, resulting in lesser quality, etc etc.

    DigitalCameraBasics, Jul 12, 2003
  4. "DigitalCameraBasics" <> wrote in

    > ""And yes, using just a subset of the pixels will lead
    > to much worse quality.""
    >

    > And this too, depends on the camera used and the compression it applies
    > to smaller pixel sizes.
    >
    > Olympus cameras for instance, many times allow the user to use a "super
    > high quality" even on the small 640x480 images, resulting in lower
    > compression and much sharper smaller images for web use. Sony cameras
    > use more compression on their 640x480 size, resulting in lesser quality,
    > etc etc.

    I don't think you understood what I wrote. I said that scaling down,
    using nearest neighbour, leads to worse quality than scaling down,
    using interpolation. And this was the answer to the original question.
    No one else than you have been talking about compression.

    Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Jul 13, 2003