    is I don't know what I can upgrade to if anything. The cpu is mounted on
    a board w/heatsink and fan that goes into a slot on the motherboard
    Name DTK PRM-0080I-E1.Any ideas what I can get? Thanks

    j smith, Apr 2, 2004

  2. j smith

    Michael-NC Guest

    Yeah, forget about it. besides having an obsolete CPU interface, your memory
    and power supply are not going to support any kind of meaningful upgrade.
    Time to start from scratch. You need a motherboard, CPU, memory, power
    supply upgrade. At that point, your hard disc will probably need to be
    replaced, as it will be a serious bottleneck and if you do any gaming,
    you'll need a new video card...

    If I were you, I'd consider buying a new machine if you don't want to build
    your own. A P3 500 is just too ancient to consider upgrading.

    Michael-NC, Apr 2, 2004

  3. j smith

    Thor Guest

    You can go up to 800Mhz on that board, and up to 384MB of SDRAM (or 768MB of
    older EDO DRAM). The problem is that if you want to upgrade the CPU, you may
    have to search high and low, or on Ebay for the older Slot-1 CPUs, or get a
    S-370 CPU for your existing slot adapter. Either one is basically obsolete
    at this point, and more difficult to find. Upgrading the RAM or the
    harddrive should be relatively simple. Just depends on what you want to
    upgrade and for what reason. If you have a standard case, you can replace
    the whole motherboard/CPU etc. but depending on your existing power supply,
    you may need something a bit more robust than the 200/250watt model you
    probably have right now.

    Thor, Apr 2, 2004
  4. j smith

    Thor Guest

    Oh, and since the chipset is 400BX, you are limited to those CPUs that use a
    100Mhz system bus. Intel made varieties from 533Mhz on upward that use 133
    system bus, as well as several in that range that use 100Mhz system bus.
    You'll have to be wary of what you are getting if you upgrade the CPU. If it
    were mine, I'd scrap the works, and buy a new motherboard with 512-1GB DDR
    SDRAM, an Athlon or P4 chip, a quality 350-400 watt watt power supply. I
    wouldn't bother trying to upgrade much on that board of yours, unless it was
    just a memory boost to get you by for a while longer. You just aren't going
    to move any mountains even with an upgrade to 800Mhz.

    Thor, Apr 2, 2004
  5. j smith

    j smith Guest

    Thanks for your help. Not good news, but not surprising either.

    j smith, Apr 2, 2004
  6. j smith

    GTS Guest

    You might take a look at http://www.evergreennow.com/

    GTS, Apr 2, 2004
  7. j smith

    j smith Guest

    On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 15:23:04 GMT, GTS <> wrote:

    > You might take a look at http://www.evergreennow.com/

    Thanks for the info. The web site says Performa III 1GHz works but there
    is no pricing.

    j smith, Apr 2, 2004
  8. j smith

    PCportinc Guest

    ebay.com is your friend.
    i dont know why people need 3.4ghz computers when P-III will do the work just
    fine.

    PCportinc, Apr 3, 2004
  9. j smith

    Michael-NC Guest

    Than you're ignorant my friend. Nothing derogatory, just ignorant.

    By your logic, I should still saddle up a mule to get to work in the
    morning...

    Michael-NC, Apr 3, 2004
  10. j smith

    Plato Guest

    Michael-NC wrote:

    > By your logic, I should still saddle up a mule to get to work in the
    > morning...

    But at least the mule would "start" every morning, unlike my car :)

    Plato, Apr 3, 2004
  11. j smith

    Michael-NC Guest

    Well at least you don't have to carry around a shovel and bag for your
    car...

    Michael-NC, Apr 3, 2004
  12. j smith

    PCportinc Guest

    >By your logic, I should still saddle up a mule to get to work in the
    >morning...

    no you should saddle up a chevy instead of a merc, or a buick instead of a jag.

    if you want to play games get an X-box or Nintendo.

    PCportinc, Apr 9, 2004
  13. j smith

    Michael-NC Guest

    Gee, I'm glad you're around to make sure we all use what you deem
    acceptable. Still have that B&W TV with wabbit ears???

    Michael-NC, Apr 9, 2004
  14. j smith

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    atSPAM (PCportinc) wrote in

    > if you want to play games get an X-box or Nintendo.

    Yes, because I like aiming with my analog joystick on my PS2 controller
    instead of with a mouse. Good call.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Apr 10, 2004
  15. j smith

    Thor Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > atSPAM (PCportinc) wrote in
    >
    > > if you want to play games get an X-box or Nintendo.
    > >

    > Yes, because I like aiming with my analog joystick on my PS2 controller
    > instead of with a mouse. Good call.

    Boy, you aren't kidding. And those realtime strategy games are an absolute
    joy to play on consoles, when you have to use the jerky controllers instead
    of a PC's silky-smooth optical mouse for cursor movement. Then there's the
    wonderfully shitty resolution you get from on a TV set.

    Thor, Apr 10, 2004