    Slot 'J7J1' has 128 MB

    Thanks,
    Jane Hudson

    BabyJane Hudson, Dec 13, 2003

  2. BabyJane Hudson

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    BabyJane Hudson <> wrote in
    news:eek::

    > I have a Gateway G6-400 and I was wondering if the processor chip can
    > be upgraded and if so, to what? Since I am fairly new to this, I hope
    > this could be done in a simple way, say by lifting the PIIm, 400 chip
    > off the processor and replacing with something faster. Possible?

    The CPU is mounted on a cartridge in a slot, and designed for easy
    replacement. You could go up to any of the 100 mhz FSB Pentium 3's that
    are slot 1 or can be converted to slot 1 style. However, whether or not
    you'll notice a difference between a P2 400 and a P3 550 is hard to say.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 13, 2003

  3. BabyJane Hudson

    HF Guest

    HF, Dec 13, 2003
  4. BabyJane Hudson

    Wizard Guest

    The highest you could go is a PII-450. You would still have an obsolete
    boat anchor on your hands. My advice is bite the bullet and scrap it.

    Wizard, Dec 13, 2003
  5. "BabyJane Hudson" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Gateway G6-400 and I was wondering if the processor chip can
    > be upgraded and if so, to what? Since I am fairly new to this, I hope
    > this could be done in a simple way, say by lifting the PIIm, 400 chip
    > off the processor and replacing with something faster. Possible?
    >
    > Here are so specs. I hope this helps:
    >
    > 400 megahertz Intel Pentium II
    > 32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    > 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    > Board: Intel Corporation WS440BX AA719570-206
    > Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    > BIOS: Intel Corp. 4W4SB0X0.15A.0006.P04 10/09/98
    > 384 Megabytes Installed Memory
    >
    > Slot 'J6J1' has 128 MB
    > Slot 'J6J2' has 128 MB
    > Slot 'J7J1' has 128 MB
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jane Hudson

    A 450 is the fastest that board will handle.

    The Ancient One, Dec 13, 2003
  6. BabyJane Hudson

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Wizard <> wrote in

    > The highest you could go is a PII-450. You would still have an obsolete
    > boat anchor on your hands. My advice is bite the bullet and scrap it.

    Unless Gateway did some major modifications of that thing, since it has a
    BX chipset shouldn't it support a PIII-450 as well?

    I don't own a proprietary P2 era motherboard, but both of my Asus P2Bs with
    440BX chipsets take P3s.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 13, 2003
  7. "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > Wizard <> wrote in
    >
    > > The highest you could go is a PII-450. You would still have an obsolete
    > > boat anchor on your hands. My advice is bite the bullet and scrap it.
    > >

    > Unless Gateway did some major modifications of that thing, since it has a
    > BX chipset shouldn't it support a PIII-450 as well?

    When I researched upgrading my G6-450 on Gateways website it stated that it
    could only be upgraded to a PIII 450, so I would assume the 400 could be
    upgraded to a maximum PIII 450 as well.

    Douglas A. Shrader, Dec 13, 2003
  8. On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:31:37 -0500, "The Ancient One"
    <> wrote:

    >"BabyJane Hudson" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a Gateway G6-400 and I was wondering if the processor chip can
    >> be upgraded and if so, to what? Since I am fairly new to this, I hope
    >> this could be done in a simple way, say by lifting the PIIm, 400 chip
    >> off the processor and replacing with something faster. Possible?
    >>
    >> Here are so specs. I hope this helps:
    >>
    >> 400 megahertz Intel Pentium II
    >> 32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    >> 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    >> Board: Intel Corporation WS440BX AA719570-206
    >> Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    >> BIOS: Intel Corp. 4W4SB0X0.15A.0006.P04 10/09/98
    >> 384 Megabytes Installed Memory
    >>
    >> Slot 'J6J1' has 128 MB
    >> Slot 'J6J2' has 128 MB
    >> Slot 'J7J1' has 128 MB
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jane Hudson

    >A 450 is the fastest that board will handle.

    Thanks to all who responded. Since my computer does pretty much what I
    want it to do, I will save up my money and buy a new computer next
    year, maybe a Dell, even though this is the third Gateway I've had. I
    like their computers, but I HATE the way they try and rip their
    customers off with the add-ons, such as ram and stuff like that.

    Thanks again,
    BabyJane Hudson

    BabyJane Hudson, Dec 13, 2003
  9. BabyJane Hudson

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    BabyJane Hudson <> wrote in

    > rip their
    > customers off with the add-ons, such as ram

    RAM is not an add on, it's a required component.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 13, 2003
  10. BabyJane Hudson

    Thor Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > Wizard <> wrote in
    >
    > > The highest you could go is a PII-450. You would still have an obsolete
    > > boat anchor on your hands. My advice is bite the bullet and scrap it.
    > >

    > Unless Gateway did some major modifications of that thing, since it has a
    > BX chipset shouldn't it support a PIII-450 as well?
    >
    > I don't own a proprietary P2 era motherboard, but both of my Asus P2Bs

    with
    > 440BX chipsets take P3s.

    A slot-1 board with BX chipset can support up to 1.1Ghz PIII S-370 CPUs with
    slotket convertors, etc. As long as the CPU uses a 100Mhz FSB, and the BIOS
    can properly recognize the chip. BIOS updates may be in order, but many BX
    boards can go that fast.

    Thor, Dec 13, 2003