    Can u suggest a cheaper viewer?

    Thanks.

    ppp
    ppp, Jan 30, 2006

  2. ppp wrote:
    > What do you think about the Epson P-4000 mutimedia storage viewer?
    >
    > It costs so much!
    >

    > Can u suggest a cheaper viewer?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > ppp

    It's an great device, both for storage and display. Perhaps you can get
    the older P-2000 (40GB disk) a little cheaper?

    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 30, 2006

  3. ppp

    Steven Wandy Guest

    > What do you think about the Epson P-4000 mutimedia storage viewer?
    >
    > It costs so much!

    I just got the P2000 - cheaper but smaller storage. These devices cannot be
    compared
    to others out there for the quality of the display. However, if you don't
    care about
    the quality of the display, there are plenty of other choices. If you don't
    want any
    display at all, then there are many that are much cheaper.
    Steven Wandy, Jan 30, 2006
  4. ppp

    HornBlower Guest

    HornBlower, Jan 30, 2006
  5. Matt Silberstein, Jan 30, 2006
  6. ppp

    Guest

    Matt Silberstein wrote:

    >>http://www.hyperdrive.com
    >>
    >>Great price, great battery life, great transfer speed, easy to use, well
    >>built.
    >>
    >>Robert
    >>

    >$150 is a great price? With no hard drive?

    It's the fastest, most power stingy unit on the market. What is not to
    like about it? In contrast, there is much to despise about the Epson
    offerings:

    http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/stor/p2000-rev.html

    While a positive review, note that the CF->HD copy times reported in
    the above review are consistent with what I've seen and heard. The
    Hyperdrive is, almost literally, an order of magnitude faster. Is the
    P-4000 any better?

    There is also the important issue of "drive fungibility". That is, you
    can not just slap in any old drive you have on hand into the Epson
    units willynilly. They must be first prepared by specially trained
    Elves at Epson, and that's that. Note that not even the cheapest,
    slowest, Vosonic units make this sort of kooky demand.

    The one, and perhaps only, nice thing about the Epson unit is that the
    display is fantastic. Incredible. Wonderful. But $500-$600 is a
    wickedly high price to pay for such.

    My advice is to buy a pair of hyperdrives (you need two of these things
    for obvious reasons) and look at the pictures when you get home. If
    you want to show people pictures, get a Sony PSP -- it's display is
    just as good, though the photo-display firmware has a clumsy UI.
    , Jan 31, 2006
  7. ppp

    HornBlower Guest

    Our $239 with a 60GB drive. That is what I paid for one with free shipping,
    free batteries and a free car charger to boot. No tax either.

    Robert

    "Matt Silberstein" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    HornBlower, Jan 31, 2006
  8. ppp

    HornBlower Guest

    I don't understand all of the excitment about the Epsons or any of the
    others with an LCD screen. It is like using the screen on your camera to
    decide if a picture is a keeper or not. You can't tell color, exposure or
    even sharpness. The whole point is cheap portable storage not a hand held
    slide show. At least it was for me.

    Robert

    HornBlower, Jan 31, 2006
  9. ppp

    Mark² Guest

    ppp wrote:
    > What do you think about the Epson P-4000 mutimedia storage viewer?
    >
    > It costs so much!
    >

    > Can u suggest a cheaper viewer?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > ppp

    The P2000 is identical, except that it's 40GB instead of 80GB.

    I'm quite happy with my P2000.
    Still not cheap, but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
    I've owned other pricey units like the FlashTrax device, but the P2000/P4000
    has no rival. -Miles ahead in every way.

    If you're going to spend $700 on the 80GB version though...a $900 laptop
    starts to look attractive.
    -Mark
    Mark², Jan 31, 2006
  10. ppp

    Mark² Guest

    wrote:
    > Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >
    >>> http://www.hyperdrive.com
    >>>
    >>> Great price, great battery life, great transfer speed, easy to use,
    >>> well built.
    >>>
    >>> Robert
    >>>

    >> $150 is a great price? With no hard drive?

    > It's the fastest, most power stingy unit on the market. What is not
    > to like about it? In contrast, there is much to despise about the
    > Epson offerings:
    >
    > http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/stor/p2000-rev.html
    >
    > While a positive review, note that the CF->HD copy times reported in
    > the above review are consistent with what I've seen and heard. The
    > Hyperdrive is, almost literally, an order of magnitude faster. Is the
    > P-4000 any better?
    >
    > There is also the important issue of "drive fungibility". That is,
    > you can not just slap in any old drive you have on hand into the Epson
    > units willynilly. They must be first prepared by specially trained
    > Elves at Epson, and that's that. Note that not even the cheapest,
    > slowest, Vosonic units make this sort of kooky demand.
    >
    > The one, and perhaps only, nice thing about the Epson unit is that the
    > display is fantastic. Incredible. Wonderful. But $500-$600 is a
    > wickedly high price to pay for such.
    >
    > My advice is to buy a pair of hyperdrives (you need two of these
    > things for obvious reasons) and look at the pictures when you get
    > home. If you want to show people pictures, get a Sony PSP -- it's
    > display is just as good, though the photo-display firmware has a
    > clumsy UI.

    I'm not that impressed with my PSP image display...rather a blurry rendition
    compared with the sharp, crispy display on the Epson. Plus, who wants to
    buy a 4GB memory stick for $400 bucks just to show images??
    If you're going to do that, I'd recomend buying the I-Paq 4705, which has CF
    and SD slots built in, and which has a full VGA screen even nicer (bigger)
    than the Epson. I have the P2000, the 4705, and the PSP...so I'm speaking
    from experience. :)

    BTW, the PSP is NOT 640x480.
    Mark², Jan 31, 2006
  11. On 30 Jan 2006 16:41:46 -0800, in rec.photo.digital ,
    in
    <> wrote:

    >Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >
    >>>http://www.hyperdrive.com
    >>>
    >>>Great price, great battery life, great transfer speed, easy to use, well
    >>>built.
    >>>
    >>>Robert
    >>>

    >>$150 is a great price? With no hard drive?

    >It's the fastest, most power stingy unit on the market. What is not to
    >like about it? In contrast, there is much to despise about the Epson
    >offerings:
    >
    >http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/stor/p2000-rev.html
    >
    >While a positive review, note that the CF->HD copy times reported in
    >the above review are consistent with what I've seen and heard. The
    >Hyperdrive is, almost literally, an order of magnitude faster. Is the
    >P-4000 any better?
    >
    >There is also the important issue of "drive fungibility". That is, you
    >can not just slap in any old drive you have on hand into the Epson
    >units willynilly. They must be first prepared by specially trained
    >Elves at Epson, and that's that. Note that not even the cheapest,
    >slowest, Vosonic units make this sort of kooky demand.
    >
    >The one, and perhaps only, nice thing about the Epson unit is that the
    >display is fantastic. Incredible. Wonderful. But $500-$600 is a
    >wickedly high price to pay for such.
    >
    >My advice is to buy a pair of hyperdrives (you need two of these things
    >for obvious reasons) and look at the pictures when you get home. If
    >you want to show people pictures, get a Sony PSP -- it's display is
    >just as good, though the photo-display firmware has a clumsy UI.

    For $60 I can get a HD enclosure with a card reader. What does the
    hyperdrive give me that is worth $90? Faster reads and longer battery
    life? I am not all that impressed. Yes, I like the AAA battery use,
    but I can survive with a Lithium. (Vosonic is pretty poor, I had two
    units die on me.)

    Matt Silberstein, Jan 31, 2006
  12. On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:12:51 -0800, in rec.photo.digital ,
    "HornBlower" <> in
    <43deb98e$0$58092$> wrote:

    >"Matt Silberstein" <> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:24:36 -0800, in rec.photo.digital ,
    >> "HornBlower" <> in
    >> <43de59df$0$58060$> wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.hyperdrive.com
    >>>
    >>>Great price, great battery life, great transfer speed, easy to use, well
    >>>built.
    >>>
    >>>Robert
    >>>

    >> $150 is a great price? With no hard drive?
    >>

    >Our $239 with a 60GB drive. That is what I paid for one with free shipping,
    >free batteries and a free car charger to boot. No tax either.

    Since I already have a couple of 2.5" drives that does nothing extra
    for me.

    Matt Silberstein, Jan 31, 2006
  13. ppp

    Pete D Guest

    Vosonic 6230 perhaps.

    Pete D, Jan 31, 2006
  14. HornBlower wrote:
    > I don't understand all of the excitment about the Epsons or any of the
    > others with an LCD screen. It is like using the screen on your camera
    > to decide if a picture is a keeper or not. You can't tell color,
    > exposure or even sharpness. The whole point is cheap portable storage
    > not a hand held slide show. At least it was for me.
    >
    > Robert

    The Epson offers you both and, if you happen to need the portable
    slide-show, it's an excellent device. You can even use it just for
    sharing images between friends as you would look at 6 x 4 prints. You can
    plug it into a TV for a shared portable slide-show.

    If someone only wants storage - they should look elsewhere.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 31, 2006
  15. ppp

    HornBlower Guest

    All of that extra money for a screen that won't even show your photos
    accurately and a slide show function. Seems like a waste to me.

    Robert

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:ePFDf.12450$...

    HornBlower, Jan 31, 2006
  16. ppp

    HornBlower Guest

    Good for you. No one said you had to be impressed. If you like a hassle go
    for it.

    Robert

    "Matt Silberstein" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    HornBlower, Jan 31, 2006
  17. HornBlower wrote:
    > All of that extra money for a screen that won't even show your photos
    > accurately and a slide show function. Seems like a waste to me.
    >
    > Robert

    You pays your money, and takes your choice. We have found the Epson
    P-2000 invaluable and well worth the expenditure.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 31, 2006
  18. ppp

    -hh Guest

    wrote:
    > Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >
    > >>http://www.hyperdrive.com
    > >>
    > >>Great price, great battery life, great transfer speed, easy to use, well
    > >>built.
    > >>
    > >>Robert
    > >>

    > >$150 is a great price? With no hard drive?

    > It's the fastest, most power stingy unit on the market. What is not to
    > like about it?
    >
    >[ ...]
    >
    > My advice is to buy a pair of hyperdrives (you need two of these things
    > for obvious reasons) and look at the pictures when you get home.

    Which particular "obvious reason"? Are you referring to just the
    basics of having more than one backup, or did you have something else
    in mind?

    -hh
    -hh, Jan 31, 2006
  19. ppp

    Guest

    -hh wrote:

    > Which particular "obvious reason"? Are you referring to just the
    > basics of having more than one backup, or did you have something else
    > in mind?

    No, just the plain old common sense: HD's are subject to spontaneous
    entropic events. If you drop one unit, at least you have the other.
    , Jan 31, 2006
  20. ppp

    Mark² Guest

    wrote:
    > -hh wrote:
    >
    >> Which particular "obvious reason"? Are you referring to just the
    >> basics of having more than one backup, or did you have something else
    >> in mind?

    > No, just the plain old common sense: HD's are subject to spontaneous
    > entropic events. If you drop one unit, at least you have the other.

    This is one reason I'm buying a small, light notebook to go with my P-2000.
    The Epson goes with me in my camera bag. -Any time I fill a card, it's
    first stop is in the P2000.
    Then, when I get back to the hotel/car/wherever, The contents of the Epson
    get copied to the laptop--not only for back-up, but for further
    review/deletion, etc.

    What I love about the Epson is that I always have my in-the-field cards
    backed up as soon as I fill them...or...as soon as I have a break that
    allows an extra swap. If I shoot something I feel is especially important
    to me, I'll often remove the card well before its full, and crab another
    card while that one copies to the Epson.
    This ability is very important to me, and the fact that I would rarely take
    a laptop into the field means the Epson is the best solution for me. For
    the last year, I've been traveling without a computer at all--relying on the
    P2000's screen for checking quality, etc. The incredible screen gives a
    VERY accurate rendition of the images captured--with my one gripe being its
    inability to zoom in on RAW files. With newer DSLRs that can write separate
    jpeg files+RAW files, this is a non-issue, since you can then review the
    detail on the jpeg, and simply save the RAW file for later (or delete it
    where review deems it crap...). :)

    -Mark
    Mark², Feb 1, 2006