    Can some one advise on what to do with this problem

    thanks

    Anthony A+

    Anthony, Jan 24, 2005

  2. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Hi it's when i want to save them to the hard drive either when i right click
    and save or when i click on the save icon in the top corner they save as
    ..jpg to start then go to .bmp

    i know that when you run out off space it starts to save as .bmp but it has
    never been this quick in doing it normally i can save loads of pics not i
    can only save about 10 then it changes to .bmp and the file does say it is a
    ..jpg file as i have checked

    thanks for the response smackedass

    Anthony, Jan 24, 2005

  3. Anthony

    Bum Guest

    If this be XP, you may want to try this;

    Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format
    Article ID : 260650
    Last Review : December 3, 2004
    Revision : 4.2
    On this page
    SYMPTOMS SYMPTOMS
    CAUSE CAUSE
    WORKAROUND WORKAROUND
    STATUS STATUS
    SYMPTOMS
    When you click the Save Picture As button for a graphics file in
    Microsoft Internet Explorer, you may be able to save the file only as a
    ..bmp file even if the file is in another format (such as GIF or JPEG).
    The file name may also appear as "Untitled."
    CAUSE
    This issue may occur if either of the following conditions is true:
    • This issue may occur if your Temporary Internet pages cache is
    full.
    • This issue can occur if you have "Do not save encrypted pages to
    disk" selected in Tools, Options, Advanced Tab and are loading the page
    over a secure connection (https).
    For additional information about another cause for this issue, click the
    following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base:
    250747 Right-clicking, selecting "Save picture as" does not save image
    with correct extension
    WORKAROUND
    Depending on the specific cause for your issue, use one of the following
    methods to work around this issue.
    Method 1
    Delete the temporary Internet files. To do so, click Tools, click
    Options, click the General tab, and then click the Delete Files button.

    Note To locate the Temporary Internet Files folder, click Options on the
    Tools menu, click the General tab, and then click Settings. The current
    location appears in the Settings dialog box.
    Method 2
    To work around the problem, click Tools, click Options, click the
    Advanced tab, clear the Do not save encrypted pages to disk check box,
    click View, and then click the Refresh button.
    STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products
    that are listed in the "Applies to" section of this article.
    APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, when used with:
    Microsoft Windows XP Standard Edition
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Edition
    Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 7
    Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
    Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
    Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 1, when used with:
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Edition
    Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 7
    Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
    Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
    Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
    Microsoft Windows 95 Service Pack 1
    Top of Page Top of Page

    Bum, Jan 24, 2005
  4. Anthony

    Bum Guest

    why IE will only let you save as BMP
    Sometimes you go to save an image from a web page and the only option
    available to you is BMP, even though the image is obviously not a BMP.
    People often wonder why, so I will tell you.

    For whatever reason (perf, architectural simplicity, I dunno) the
    designers of mshtml decided to keep images around in memory as BMPs. When
    you go to save an image in IE, the first thing we do is check to see if
    the image is in the cache. If the image is not in the cache, the only
    representation we have of the image (without downloading it again) is
    mshtml's internal representation, which is a BMP. Mostly people see this
    when their cache is full. The easiest way to fix this is to clear your
    cache. Another symptom of this is nothing happens when you View->Source
    on a web page.

    (http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2003/12/08/53607.aspx)

    more on why ie will only let you save as bmp

    ....and why View->Source sometimes stops working.

    I had previously discussed this here. In that post I mentioned the
    reason for this was IE's cache was filling up. This brings up the
    question, "Why does the cache scavanger not kick in and do its job at
    that point?"

    To answer, I must first explain a bit about how the Temporary Internet
    Files folder (TIFF) works. We have an internal set of APIs that map URLs
    to blobs of data. Imagine a hash table. For caching purposes, the blob
    of data mapped to the URLs is the cache file name in the TIFF. So
    really, and this is the crux of the issue, there are two limits on the
    cache: the size on disk that the TIFF is limited to, and the number of
    entries in the index that maps URLs to cache file names.

    When the TIFF gets full, the scavager kicks in. When the table that maps
    URLs to blobs runs out of entries, the scavanger is not invoked. Running
    out of entries is the cause of the problem, because at that point IE
    cannot map new URLs to the cache filename. The files are in the cache,
    the cache is not full, but we cannot find them because the index was full
    when they were added. This usually happens when you have lots of small
    files in the cache.

    This is an interesting bug from a software engineering perspective. The
    reasons why particular actions are failing are not clear, i.e. you can
    debug and see that the cache file name was not found, but since it got
    added at an earlier time you do not know why it is not in the cache. The
    cache itself is not full because it has not reached its limits. This
    behavior will only be reproducable for some pages, depending on whether
    they were in the cache before or after it filled up. Furthermore this
    will bug will only be reproducable on some machines. The mandelbug
    nature is probably why this was never fixed before.

    So clearing the cache is still the solution to the BMP only/View->Source
    problem, for now. This will be fixed in an upcoming release.

    (http://weblogs.asp.net/jeffdav/archive/2004/10/29/249742.aspx)

    Bum, Jan 24, 2005
  5. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Hi thanks for that is there a way i can increase the mount of cache memory
    so i don't run into this problem as much ( is it my virtual memory
    settings )

    Thanks

    Anthony

    Anthony, Jan 24, 2005
  6. Cache memory for internet files is found in the properties of Internet
    Explorer. Tools/Internet Options/General/Settings

    Paul Ashworth, Jan 24, 2005