    http://www.physics.sun.ac.za/~bollig/alt.lasers/pics1/

    Enjoy.

    Christoph

    Christoph Bollig, Aug 29, 2003

  2. Christoph Bollig

    m Guest

    Christoph Bollig wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Since we had this discussion on alt.lasers about how to best take
    > pictures with a digital camera and whether it is acceptable to use
    > long exposures or not, I decided to put a few of the pictures of our
    > lasers on the web.
    >
    > Please keep in mind that these were taken during the development and
    > therefore the powers are not what they can be. I will post a few more
    > pictures and a bit more technical details when we have more results.
    >
    > I am cross-posting this to rec.photo.digital since some people on the
    > photography side might be interested to see what you can do with a
    > digital camera in this rather specific field.
    >
    > Here the link (I almost forgot it):
    >
    > http://www.physics.sun.ac.za/~bollig/alt.lasers/pics1/
    >
    > Enjoy.
    >
    > Christoph

    Nice. Have you tried the
    old 'blowing smoke over the beam' trick?
    A nice effect when you can't see the beam
    at all.

    m, Aug 29, 2003

  3. > > Here the link (I almost forgot it):

    > > http://www.physics.sun.ac.za/~bollig/alt.lasers/pics1/
    > >
    > > Enjoy.
    > >
    > > Christoph
    > >

    > Nice.

    Thanks.

    > Have you tried the
    > old 'blowing smoke over the beam' trick?
    > A nice effect when you can't see the beam
    > at all.

    I can assure you that you can see those beams without smoke
    (especially the high-power ones).

    I think I would be close to throwing anyone out of that window, who
    tries to smoke next to the laser. Smoking is only on option when you
    have a well-sealed laser.

    Christoph

    Christoph Bollig, Aug 29, 2003
  4. Christoph Bollig

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Since we had this discussion on alt.lasers about how to best take
    > pictures with a digital camera and whether it is acceptable to use
    > long exposures or not, I decided to put a few of the pictures of our
    > lasers on the web.
    >
    > Please keep in mind that these were taken during the development and
    > therefore the powers are not what they can be. I will post a few more
    > pictures and a bit more technical details when we have more results.
    >
    > I am cross-posting this to rec.photo.digital since some people on the
    > photography side might be interested to see what you can do with a
    > digital camera in this rather specific field.
    >
    > Here the link (I almost forgot it):
    >
    > http://www.physics.sun.ac.za/~bollig/alt.lasers/pics1/
    >
    > Enjoy.
    >
    > Christoph

    Very cool shots. Thanks for sharing.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Aug 29, 2003
  5. Christoph Bollig

    DHB Guest

    Christoph,

    Interesting pictures! Have to wonder however if the indoor pictures in
    the auditorium were intended to be a blue laser or is the auto white balance
    incorrect. I have a Canon A70 which I often use to take long existing light
    exposures both indoors & out but doing so has taught me that it's usually
    better to manually set the "white balance". "Tungsten" seems to work best
    in most low lighting situations, surprisingly to me even with many types of
    compact florescent lights.

    Just had to throw in my 2 cents worth, hope it's helpful.

    DHB

    DHB, Aug 29, 2003
  6. Christoph Bollig

    Laserlover Guest

    Christoph Bollig <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Since we had this discussion on alt.lasers about how to best take
    > pictures with a digital camera and whether it is acceptable to use
    > long exposures or not, I decided to put a few of the pictures of our
    > lasers on the web.
    >
    > Please keep in mind that these were taken during the development and
    > therefore the powers are not what they can be. I will post a few more
    > pictures and a bit more technical details when we have more results.
    >
    > I am cross-posting this to rec.photo.digital since some people on the
    > photography side might be interested to see what you can do with a
    > digital camera in this rather specific field.
    >
    > Here the link (I almost forgot it):
    >
    > http://www.physics.sun.ac.za/~bollig/alt.lasers/pics1/
    >
    > Enjoy.
    >
    > Christoph

    Hi Christoph,

    I specially like the color of the 526.5 nm green compared to 532 nm
    it's more of an emerald green similar to what you get when you pass
    the output of a Copper Vapour laser through a grating (get gold yellow
    and emerald green).
    Was the 526.5 nm Laser achieved using the LBO crystal I shipped you
    3x3x20.5 mm Castech Theta=90 Phi= 11.4 degrees(unpolished one before
    recoating) ?

    Rick

    Laserlover, Aug 30, 2003
  7. Hi Rick,

    I'm glad to like the pictures.

    > I specially like the color of the 526.5 nm green compared to 532 nm
    > it's more of an emerald green similar to what you get when you pass
    > the output of a Copper Vapour laser through a grating (get gold yellow
    > and emerald green).

    I am afraid to disappoint you, but it is probably more the saturation
    of the camera than anything else. The Nd:YLF laser (526.5nm, or shall
    we say 527 for simplicity) was much stronger than the 532 from the
    Millennia and the Millennia beam was moving a bit.

    You can see the same effect in the first three photos. In areas where
    the photo is saturated, it becomes a different colour up to the point
    where it is almost white. And in all these photos, it was at 532 nm.

    > Was the 526.5 nm Laser achieved using the LBO crystal I shipped you
    > 3x3x20.5 mm Castech Theta=90 Phi= 11.4 degrees(unpolished one before
    > recoating) ?

    No, it was with LBO but not with yours. One of yours is at the coater
    at the moment.

    But we used your LBO with damaged coatings to double a pulsed Nd:YLF
    to 527 some time ago. Despite the bad coatings, we got more than 5W
    average green output when pulsed at 15 kHz.

    Here are two more photos, this time with of your LBO in action (taken
    with a Sony Cybershot, the first at 1/125s and the second at 1/30s):

    http://www.physics.sun.ac.za/~bollig/alt.lasers/pics1/DSC01039-crop.jpg

    The infrared (1053 nm, ~20 W average at 15 kHz) comes from the front
    left, very roughly from where the pipes end. It is focussed into the
    LBO with a curved mirror. It is then converted to green in the LBO
    crystal, which can be seen to the left of the pipes gowing brightly.
    Next comes a mirror, which reflects the IR and transmits ~95% of the
    green. The remaining 5%, which are reflected are blocked with a black
    heat sink. This is the bright spot, which can be seen between the
    pipes. The main part of the green goes through the big lens and is
    then reflected on the metal mirror behind the lens.

    There was lots of scattering from the bad coatings of the LBO and from
    the metal mirror. It illuminated the whole lab in green:

    http://www.physics.sun.ac.za/~bollig/alt.lasers/pics1/DSC01037.JPG

    Christoph

    Christoph Bollig, Aug 31, 2003
  8. Christoph Bollig

    Laserlover Guest

    Hi Chris,

    Thanks for the test PICs of my LBO. Lots of scatter from damaged
    coatings but surprised how much power you got from a quick setup
    (before tuning).
    I'd like to see how my LBO performs after you get it back from
    recoating.
    Was the IR laser focussed within the center of the LBO crystal or on
    the front surface ? What size spot ?

    Tks
    Rick

    Laserlover, Aug 31, 2003