    resize photos and simple effects also.

    The system is an earlier iMac (I think it's a 333 CPU) with an older
    version of OS X, possibly Panther.

    SchoolTech, Oct 22, 2005

  2. SchoolTech

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    SchoolTech <> wrote:

    > I need some simple free software for browsing and viewing pictures on
    > an iMac. Something like the functionality of the Windows XP explorer
    > thumbnail / filmstrip viewer at a minimum, perhaps with the ability to
    > resize photos and simple effects also.

    It's funny that there isn't anything even as good as Konqueror good
    around. Perhaps I should write one :) Or, you could install the KDE
    libs and Konqueror...

    Here's the best I've found for browsing your disk with thumbnails, as
    opposed to browsing a photo collection (which iPhoto does pretty well
    anyway):

    http://www.stalkingwolf.net/software/cocoviewx/

    The thhumbnails on the left hand side are small by default but you can
    drag the column biggerrand it's quite usable then -- on small
    directories at least.

    Be warned that if you go into a large directory both it and WindowServer
    will grab many hundreds of MB of RAM. I just tried on a directory with
    10,000 pics and CocoViewX went out to 1.19 GB and WindowServer to 2.24
    GB and it's sluggish as hell. Quit the program and WindowServer goes
    back to 326 MB...

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Oct 22, 2005

  3. SchoolTech

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    SchoolTech <> wrote:

    > I need some simple free software for browsing and viewing pictures on
    > an iMac. Something like the functionality of the Windows XP explorer
    > thumbnail / filmstrip viewer at a minimum, perhaps with the ability to
    > resize photos and simple effects also.

    Actually ... gbrowser isn't too bad:

    http://homepage.mac.com/schwarz/gbrowser.html

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Oct 22, 2005
  4. SchoolTech

    PAM. Guest

    Using Konq for viewing pictures. WAS: Re: Picture viewer for iMac

    "Bruce Hoult" <> wrote in message
    > It's funny that there isn't anything even as good as Konqueror good
    > around. Perhaps I should write one :) Or, you could install the KDE
    > libs and Konqueror...

    Is there any way I can make the pictures larger in Konq? I have a few
    hundred I want to sort through and they're a tad small to see what they are
    and drag 'em to the right directory. It would be easier if they were 2-4cm
    in size

    PAM.

    PAM., Oct 24, 2005
  5. Re: Using Konq for viewing pictures. WAS: Re: Picture viewer for iMac

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:29:37 +1300, PAM. wrote:
    > "Bruce Hoult" <> wrote in message
    >> It's funny that there isn't anything even as good as Konqueror good
    >> around. Perhaps I should write one :) Or, you could install the KDE
    >> libs and Konqueror...

    > Is there any way I can make the pictures larger in Konq? I have a few
    > hundred I want to sort through and they're a tad small to see what they are
    > and drag 'em to the right directory. It would be easier if they were 2-4cm
    > in size

    The pictures? ITYM the thumbnails. And, yes, I've often wanted to
    see larger thumbnails in konqueror.

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    Pueblo, Colorado | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2

    Allodoxaphobia, Oct 24, 2005
  6. SchoolTech

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:44:02 +0000, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:29:37 +1300, PAM. wrote:
    >> "Bruce Hoult" <> wrote in message
    >>> It's funny that there isn't anything even as good as Konqueror good
    >>> around. Perhaps I should write one :) Or, you could install the KDE
    >>> libs and Konqueror...

    >> Is there any way I can make the pictures larger in Konq? I have a few
    >> hundred I want to sort through and they're a tad small to see what they are
    >> and drag 'em to the right directory. It would be easier if they were 2-4cm
    >> in size

    > The pictures? ITYM the thumbnails. And, yes, I've often wanted to
    > see larger thumbnails in konqueror.
    >
    > Jonesy

    You could use View | Icon Size | Huge
    Making sure View | Preview | Images
    is selected
    HTH

    Shane, Oct 24, 2005
  7. SchoolTech

    PAM. Guest

    "Allodoxaphobia" <> wrote in message
    > The pictures? ITYM the thumbnails. And, yes, I've often wanted to
    > see larger thumbnails in konqueror.

    You are correct. I mean thimbnails

    PAM.

    PAM., Oct 24, 2005
  8. SchoolTech

    PAM. Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > You could use View | Icon Size | Huge
    > Making sure View | Preview | Images
    > is selected
    > HTH

    Hmmm. I'll check it out.
    Cheers
    PAM.

    PAM., Oct 24, 2005
  9. Re: Using Konq for viewing pictures. WAS: Re: Picture viewer for iMac

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:53:46 +1300, Shane wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:44:02 +0000, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    >>> Is there any way I can make the pictures larger in Konq? I have a few
    >>> hundred I want to sort through and they're a tad small to see what they are
    >>> and drag 'em to the right directory. It would be easier if they were 2-4cm
    >>> in size

    >> The pictures? ITYM the thumbnails. And, yes, I've often wanted to
    >> see larger thumbnails in konqueror.
    >>
    >> Jonesy

    > You could use View | Icon Size | Huge
    > Making sure View | Preview | Images
    > is selected
    > HTH

    Alas. That is what it is currently.
    I'd like to see View | Icon Size | _Custom_
    ...and specify a max pixel width and height.

    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, Oct 25, 2005
  10. Re: Using Konq for viewing pictures. WAS: Re: Picture viewer foriMac

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    >>You could use View | Icon Size | Huge
    >>Making sure View | Preview | Images
    >>is selected
    >>HTH

    > Alas. That is what it is currently.
    > I'd like to see View | Icon Size | _Custom_
    > ..and specify a max pixel width and height.
    >
    > Jonesy

    click and drag could be kinda cool too ...

    isn't there a kde develeoper lurking aroud here somewhere ?

    Mark Robinson, Oct 25, 2005
  11. SchoolTech

    Ray Fischer Guest

    SchoolTech <> wrote:
    >I need some simple free software for browsing and viewing pictures on
    >an iMac. Something like the functionality of the Windows XP explorer
    >thumbnail / filmstrip viewer at a minimum, perhaps with the ability to
    >resize photos and simple effects also.

    Something like iPhoto?

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Oct 25, 2005
  12. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:42:02 GMT, (Ray
    Fischer) wrote:

    >SchoolTech <> wrote:
    >>I need some simple free software for browsing and viewing pictures on
    >>an iMac. Something like the functionality of the Windows XP explorer
    >>thumbnail / filmstrip viewer at a minimum, perhaps with the ability to
    >>resize photos and simple effects also.

    >Something like iPhoto?

    Which version of iPhoto lets you browse a CD?

    SchoolTech, Oct 28, 2005
  13. SchoolTech

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    SchoolTech <> wrote:

    > I need some simple free software for browsing and viewing pictures on
    > an iMac. Something like the functionality of the Windows XP explorer
    > thumbnail / filmstrip viewer at a minimum, perhaps with the ability to
    > resize photos and simple effects also.
    >
    > The system is an earlier iMac (I think it's a 333 CPU) with an older
    > version of OS X, possibly Panther.

    With Mac OS X, you already have the software you want. Just select all
    the photos you want to view and double-click on them to view them in the
    Preview software.

    If you have Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, you can view the photos in a slide show
    by selecting all the photos you want, then hold the control and mouse
    button over any selected image file and select slide show from the menu.

    If you want something more elaborate, consider using iPhoto 5.

    Shawn Hirn, Oct 30, 2005
  14. SchoolTech

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > SchoolTech <> wrote:
    >
    > > I need some simple free software for browsing and viewing pictures on
    > > an iMac. Something like the functionality of the Windows XP explorer
    > > thumbnail / filmstrip viewer at a minimum, perhaps with the ability to
    > > resize photos and simple effects also.

    > It's funny that there isn't anything even as good as Konqueror good
    > around. Perhaps I should write one :) Or, you could install the KDE
    > libs and Konqueror...
    >
    > Here's the best I've found for browsing your disk with thumbnails, as
    > opposed to browsing a photo collection (which iPhoto does pretty well
    > anyway):
    >
    > http://www.stalkingwolf.net/software/cocoviewx/

    Huh? Why not just go into View->show view options-> and turn check off
    the icon preview button?

    Shawn Hirn, Oct 30, 2005
  15. SchoolTech

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Shawn Hirn <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Bruce Hoult <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > SchoolTech <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I need some simple free software for browsing and viewing pictures on
    > > > an iMac. Something like the functionality of the Windows XP explorer
    > > > thumbnail / filmstrip viewer at a minimum, perhaps with the ability to
    > > > resize photos and simple effects also.

    > > It's funny that there isn't anything even as good as Konqueror good
    > > around. Perhaps I should write one :) Or, you could install the KDE
    > > libs and Konqueror...
    > >
    > > Here's the best I've found for browsing your disk with thumbnails, as
    > > opposed to browsing a photo collection (which iPhoto does pretty well
    > > anyway):
    > >
    > > http://www.stalkingwolf.net/software/cocoviewx/

    > Huh? Why not just go into View->show view options-> and turn check off
    > the icon preview button?

    The point is that it shows only one photo at a time. You can't just
    glance at a page of thumbnails to pick the photo you want.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Oct 30, 2005
  16. SchoolTech

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Shawn Hirn <> wrote:

    > If you have Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, you can view the photos in a slide show
    > by selecting all the photos you want, then hold the control and mouse
    > button over any selected image file and select slide show from the menu.

    The "index sheet" view in the slide show only shows one screenful of
    files selected with no way I can find to move to the next screenful.

    > If you want something more elaborate, consider using iPhoto 5.

    You have to add photos to the library to use iPhoto. The whole point of
    the original poster's query was to not have to do that.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Oct 30, 2005
  17. In <> Bruce Hoult wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    >> > It's funny that there isn't anything even as good as Konqueror good
    >> > around. Perhaps I should write one :) Or, you could install the
    >> > KDE libs and Konqueror... Here's the best I've found for browsing
    >> > your disk with thumbnails, as opposed to browsing a photo
    >> > collection (which iPhoto does pretty well anyway): http://www.
    >> > stalkingwolf.net/software/cocoviewx/

    >> Huh? Why not just go into View->show view options-> and turn check
    >> off the icon preview button?

    > The point is that it shows only one photo at a time. You can't just
    > glance at a page of thumbnails to pick the photo you want.

    It will only show a single picture if the window is in column view.

    To get a decent icon view:
    From the Finder open the folder of pictures.
    Go to the View menu, select 'as Icons'.
    Go to the View menu, select 'Show View Options'.
    Make sure 'This window only' is selected, and change the icon size to
    128x128 pixels.

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Oct 31, 2005
  18. In article <>,
    SchoolTech <> wrote:

    > I need some simple free software for browsing and viewing pictures on
    > an iMac. Something like the functionality of the Windows XP explorer
    > thumbnail / filmstrip viewer at a minimum, perhaps with the ability
    > to resize photos and simple effects also.

    You have two applications that came with the the OS: Preview and
    iPhoto. If you select all the pictures in the folder and drop them onto
    the Preview icon, thumbnails of all of them will show in the drawer that
    slides out to the side of the window. When you click on a thumbnail,
    its picture will be displayed in the window.

    Preview has some editing functions, too: You can adjust exposure, white
    and black points, gamma, saturation, contrast, sharpness, and sepia
    tone; plus you can crop, flip, and rotate.

    And, of course, you can do more than just that with iPhoto.

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 31, 2005