    My current camera is about 15 years old. I would like to upgrade to a
    new digital camera, but need one that is idiot proof. Can anyone help
    me go about choosing the right camera for me. I await your reply.
    Julia Gray, Nov 11, 2003

  2. Julia Gray

    N.J. Hillary Guest

    Idiot proof cameras

    First read www.dpreview.com or any such sources to get a feel for what is
    available.

    If you want idiot proof, then Sony's Cybershot or any other point and shoot
    will meet your needs. You can get them in the range of $200-250.
    N.J. Hillary, Nov 11, 2003

  3. Julia Gray

    Mark Herring Guest

    On 11 Nov 2003 05:13:09 -0800, (Julia Gray) wrote:

    >My current camera is about 15 years old. I would like to upgrade to a
    >new digital camera, but need one that is idiot proof. Can anyone help
    >me go about choosing the right camera for me. I await your reply.

    We need WAY more info: What kind of pictures are you after?
    Snapshots? Big enlargements?
    People? Landscapes? Action?

    Watch out on the "idiot-proof" thing. Digital cameras all take a few
    minute of effort to learn the basics, but it's really not all that
    difficult.

    To get a jump on things, here is how I started: Realizing that the
    economics had evolved to the point that snapshots would be cheaper
    with a digital, I bought the highest rated 2Mp that I could
    find---sight unseen. It's a Canon A40---since replaced by the A-60.
    I would not hesitate to recommend the whole A- series. Very easy to
    use.

    To see where your needs fall, take your print size of interest, and
    convert to pixels at ~200 to 250 pixels per inch. Here's the math for
    snapshots:

    4 X 6: 200ppi: 800 X 1200 = .96Megapixel
    250ppi: 1000X1500 = 1.5 Megapixel

    5x7: 250ppi: 1250X1750 = 2.2 Megapixels

    So, a 2Mpixel camera is good for snaps, but does not allow much margin
    for cropping.

    Once you have your basic needs covered, then consider how much money
    you want to spend. I promise you that his business will consume as
    much as you are willing to part with........;)

    -mark
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    Mark Herring, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Julia Gray

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Julia Gray <> wrote:
    >My current camera is about 15 years old. I would like to upgrade to a
    >new digital camera, but need one that is idiot proof. Can anyone help
    >me go about choosing the right camera for me. I await your reply.

    We in engineering have this little saying: If you make something
    idiotproof God will make a better idiot.

    You'll need to be just a bit more specific. You can buy <$100
    digital cameras that have little more than a shutter release, but
    the picture quality ain't great.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Nov 13, 2003