    looking for a program that can be had for less then $200.

    Thanks

    , Dec 24, 2006

  2. Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    <""> wrote:

    > I have quite a lot of images that I would like to tag and archive. For
    > that I have the following requirements:
    >
    > 1) The tags have to be embedded into the files, i.e. not just into a
    > database.

    Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom. However, this will only occur with
    non-raw files, otherwise the data gets put into sidecar files... I
    don't know of any standard programs that will write directly to the raw
    files (nnor do I want to - I don't _want_ to touch my raws unless
    forced into that extremity by a corrupted tag that I feel I must fix.
    Then I use ExifTool. ExifTool (*nix, command line driven, does have
    some GUI front ends for some OS's) will. Non-raw files (.tif, .jpg,
    ..psd, etc.) are not a problem with most standard image management
    programs.

    > 2) The tags have to confirm to some widely accepted standard
    > (IPTC/XMP/etc) that makes it easy to import into different programs.

    Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom. Both do IPTC, EXIF, and other
    metadata. Both use sidecar files. Aperture can also export with the
    XMP file, without the XMP file, or the XMP file alone.

    > 3) The program must allow defining certain tags and then adding these
    > tags to images easily (for example dragging tags onto an image adds
    > them to the image)

    Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom. Aperture allows "Lift & Stamp"
    (copy/paste) of metadata from one image to one or more images, presets
    of tags to be applied to one or or more images, and batch
    replacement/appending of metadata to one ormore images.

    > 4) Batch tagging must be easy to do, i.e. assigning the same tag to
    > many pictures at once.

    Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom. See above.

    > 5) The images and the tags should be stored in a database for quick
    > searches for certain tags, dates/times, etc.

    Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom.

    > 6) The program must be able to scan/rescan directories of images, look
    > for tags and adding all of it to its database.

    Huh? I couldn't parse that.

    > It also would be very helpful if psd files could be tagged and
    > archived. This is not an absolute requirement,

    Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom. Both do .psd. Aperture will export
    directly to .psd (and even open it for you) WITH metadata embedded, and
    automatically suck back up the saved file FROM .psd, stacking them
    together so they are easy to find.

    > though. Finally, I am
    > looking for a program that can be had for less then $200.
    >
    > Thanks

    Seeing a pattern here? Apple Aperture ($199, 30 day free trial) or
    Adobe Lightroom (Free beta currently). Both are designed specifically
    for photo management/image adjustment (as opposed to pixel pushing,
    which is PS's strongpoint).

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Dec 24, 2006

  3. Joan Guest

    Adobe Bridge does it too.

    --
    Joan

    "Ken Lucke" <> wrote in message
    : In article <>,
    : <""> wrote:
    :
    : > I have quite a lot of images that I would like to tag and archive.
    For
    : > that I have the following requirements:
    : >
    : > 1) The tags have to be embedded into the files, i.e. not just into
    : > database.
    :
[...]
    : > many pictures at once.
    :
[...]
    : --
    : You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
    : reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about
    repeating
    : the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
    : independence.
    : -- Charles A. Beard

    Joan, Dec 24, 2006
  4. Guest

    Maybe I should have mentioned that I am using a Windows machine. At
    this point, there is no way I will switch over to a Mac. Thanks for the
    input, though. BTW, are you a enthusiast or do you work for Apple? ;);)

    Ken Lucke wrote:
> [...]

    > Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom. Both do .psd. Aperture will export
    > directly to .psd (and even open it for you) WITH metadata embedded, and
    > automatically suck back up the saved file FROM .psd, stacking them
    > together so they are easy to find.
    >

    > > though. Finally, I am
    > > looking for a program that can be had for less then $200.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > Seeing a pattern here? Apple Aperture ($199, 30 day free trial) or
    > Adobe Lightroom (Free beta currently). Both are designed specifically
    > for photo management/image adjustment (as opposed to pixel pushing,
    > which is PS's strongpoint).
    >
    > --
    > You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
    > reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
    > the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for

    , Dec 24, 2006
  5. Guest

    Adobe Bridge only seems to be availabe with Creative Suite and
    Production Studio. I am currently using PS7. I know it's outdated but
    it does all I need so I do not feel like spending big bucks on an
    upgrade.

    Thanks

    , Dec 24, 2006
  6. John Bean Guest

    On 23 Dec 2006 23:59:19 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Maybe I should have mentioned that I am using a Windows machine. At
    >this point, there is no way I will switch over to a Mac.

    I use iView MediaPro which meeta all of your requirements
    and then some. Barely fits in your budget but it is under
    $200 - just :-(

    You could also have a look at IDImager which is not as slick
    but just as functional - more functional in fact - but much
    cheaper. Both have free time-limited evaluations available
    for download with no functional restrictions.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Dec 24, 2006
  7. Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    <""> wrote:

    > Maybe I should have mentioned that I am using a Windows machine. At
    > this point, there is no way I will switch over to a Mac. Thanks for the
    > input, though. BTW, are you a enthusiast or do you work for Apple? ;);)

    a) if you'd checked, Lightroom is available for both Mac & Windoze.

    b) I use (and love) a Mac, and there is no way I will switch over to a
    Windoze box :^)

    c) I knew you were on Windoze by your headers, but other people often
    have the same question, so I pointed out both of the [viable in my
    opinion] options so that either side of the fence could have one.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Dec 24, 2006
  8. Guest

    Ooops, indeed. I checked Apple Aperture which was only available for
    the Mac. For some reason I thought you wrote Apple Lightroom instead of
    Adobe Lightroom so I figured it won't work, either. My bad. Thanks for
    your input.

    Ken Lucke wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > <""> wrote:
    >
    > > Maybe I should have mentioned that I am using a Windows machine. At
    > > this point, there is no way I will switch over to a Mac. Thanks for the
    > > input, though. BTW, are you a enthusiast or do you work for Apple? ;);)

    > a) if you'd checked, Lightroom is available for both Mac & Windoze.
    >
    > b) I use (and love) a Mac, and there is no way I will switch over to a
    > Windoze box :^)
    >
    > c) I knew you were on Windoze by your headers, but other people often
    > have the same question, so I pointed out both of the [viable in my
    > opinion] options so that either side of the fence could have one.
    >
    > --
    > You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
    > reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
    > the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
    > independence.
    > -- Charles A. Beard

    , Dec 24, 2006
  9. Guest

    John, thanks for the input. I'll check these programs out.

    Has anybody used ThumbsPlus or IMatch? How do they stack up with these
    other programs?

    Thanks

    John Bean wrote:
    > On 23 Dec 2006 23:59:19 -0800, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Maybe I should have mentioned that I am using a Windows machine. At
    > >this point, there is no way I will switch over to a Mac.

    > I use iView MediaPro which meeta all of your requirements
    > and then some. Barely fits in your budget but it is under
    > $200 - just :-(
    >
    > You could also have a look at IDImager which is not as slick
    > but just as functional - more functional in fact - but much
    > cheaper. Both have free time-limited evaluations available
    > for download with no functional restrictions.
    >
    > --
    > John Bean

    , Dec 24, 2006
  10. Hi

    > Has anybody used ThumbsPlus or IMatch? How do they stack up with these
    > other programs?

    I use IMatch. Have about 20,000 photos in it. I'd say go ahead and
    download it and try it out. I've tried out the Lightroom beta, but I did
    not particularly like it, but the final product may be just fine.

    --
    Arnor Baldvinsson
    San Antonio, Texas

    Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 24, 2006
  11. Monkee Guest

    http://www.pixvue.com/

    Monkee, Dec 24, 2006
  12. Guest

    I have been looking at pixvue. The problem is that tagging seems not
    very efficient. For each image you have to right click it and go to the
    IPCT menu to add the tags. I have a lot of images to tag so I am
    looking for something efficient like tragging tags onto pictures, mass
    tagging, etc. If pixvue can do that I would appreciate if somebody
    could point out on how to do this.

    Monkee wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >I have quite a lot of images that I would like to tag and archive. For
    > > that I have the following requirements:
    > >
    > > 1) The tags have to be embedded into the files, i.e. not just into a
    > > database.
    > > 2) The tags have to confirm to some widely accepted standard
    > > (IPTC/XMP/etc) that makes it easy to import into different programs.
    > > 3) The program must allow defining certain tags and then adding these
    > > tags to images easily (for example dragging tags onto an image adds
    > > them to the image)
    > > 4) Batch tagging must be easy to do, i.e. assigning the same tag to
    > > many pictures at once.
    > > 5) The images and the tags should be stored in a database for quick
    > > searches for certain tags, dates/times, etc.
    > > 6) The program must be able to scan/rescan directories of images, look
    > > for tags and adding all of it to its database.
    > >
    > > It also would be very helpful if psd files could be tagged and
    > > archived. This is not an absolute requirement, though. Finally, I am
    > > looking for a program that can be had for less then $200.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > http://www.pixvue.com/

    , Dec 25, 2006
  13. Mike Russell Guest

    > On 23 Dec 2006 23:59:19 -0800, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Maybe I should have mentioned that I am using a Windows machine. At
    >>this point, there is no way I will switch over to a Mac.

    ACDSee is a good solid program that keeps track of a large number of images
    using keywords, among other things. While it will create an HTML album, the
    album is very simple and does not support keywords. The best you could do
    would probably be to look up a particular set of images by keyword, and
    generate an individual album using the results.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Dec 26, 2006
  14. Guest

    schrieb:

    > I have quite a lot of images that I would like to tag and archive. For
    > that I have the following requirements:
    >
    > 1) The tags have to be embedded into the files, i.e. not just into a
    > database.
    > 2) The tags have to confirm to some widely accepted standard
    > (IPTC/XMP/etc) that makes it easy to import into different programs.
    > 3) The program must allow defining certain tags and then adding these
    > tags to images easily (for example dragging tags onto an image adds
    > them to the image)
    > 4) Batch tagging must be easy to do, i.e. assigning the same tag to
    > many pictures at once.
    > 5) The images and the tags should be stored in a database for quick
    > searches for certain tags, dates/times, etc.
    > 6) The program must be able to scan/rescan directories of images, look
    > for tags and adding all of it to its database.
    >
    > It also would be very helpful if psd files could be tagged and
    > archived. This is not an absolute requirement, though. Finally, I am
    > looking for a program that can be had for less then $200.

    Mapivi (http://mapivi.de.vu) fulfils all your requirements 1) to 6) is
    free and OS independent.
    But the current version supports only JPEGs, no PSD files.

    Martin

    , Dec 27, 2006