    the image appears to be distorted i.e like when you try to squash someones
    face and it appears fat. Is there some way i can do this and sort of keep
    the face looking normal???

    Kaindia, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Kaindia

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Kaindia said:

    > Hellooo
    >
    > I need to trim a digital passport photo to the resolution of
    > 320 pixels wide * 240 pixels high.
    >
    > Got the pic taken at a Kodak outlet and they gave it to me on floppy and has
    > the size of 833Kb. They told me they couldnt do the specs for me.
    > At the moment its showing in Photoshop as 1024pixels(w) * 1365pixels(h)
    >
    > When i try to change image size in Adobe Photoshop 6.0 to 320(w) * 240(h)
    > the image appears to be distorted i.e like when you try to squash someones
    > face and it appears fat. Is there some way i can do this and sort of keep
    > the face looking normal???

    Don't you have an option to "constrain proportions"?
    Bring it down to a size that is close to what you want, then crop it.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 27, 2003

  3. Kaindia

    Kaindia Guest

    I need to submit it online and they only accept 320*240
    When i have "constraint" option ticked it does not allow me to input thos
    values

    Kaindia, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Kaindia

    Gerry Guest

    "Kaindia" <> wrote in message
    > Hellooo
    >
    > I need to trim a digital passport photo to the resolution of
    > 320 pixels wide * 240 pixels high.
    >
    > Got the pic taken at a Kodak outlet and they gave it to me on floppy and

    has
    > the size of 833Kb. They told me they couldnt do the specs for me.
    > At the moment its showing in Photoshop as 1024pixels(w) * 1365pixels(h)
    >
    > When i try to change image size in Adobe Photoshop 6.0 to 320(w) * 240(h)
    > the image appears to be distorted i.e like when you try to squash someones
    > face and it appears fat. Is there some way i can do this and sort of keep
    > the face looking normal???

    I`m in no way an expert, and I`m sure there are others on this group who
    can help better than I but I`ll make a suggestion anyway. Although I use
    Paint Shop Pro for my photo editing work, I imagine Photoshop also has the
    option to "maintain aspect ratio" when you resize a pic. It`s possible you
    do not have that option enabled. If such is the case, then try ticking the
    relevant box and hopefully your problem will be solved.

    Gerry, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Kaindia

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Kaindia said:

    > I need to submit it online and they only accept 320*240
    > When i have "constraint" option ticked it does not allow me to input thos
    > values

    1024 x 1365 will never resize to 320 x 240, look at the numbers.
    Resize the image to 320 x whatever , and then crop the image.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 27, 2003
  6. Kaindia

    Harrison Guest

    Since you have Photoshop, I assume the following will be easy enough
    to follow.

    Open the original image. Create a new blank image (white) image at 320
    x 240. Select all on the new image and copy.

    Paste the new image on top of the original.
    Use the opacity control on the layers tab to reduce the opacity of the
    pasted layer so that it is translucent enough to see the background
    image.
    Switch to the background layer and free transform it until it fits as
    desired into the 320 x 240 space. Tip - to free transform while
    preserving aspect ratio, hold the shift key while diagonally dragging
    a corner.

    Once you've got the background sized as desired, select the area
    around the mask layer and crop.
    Delete the mask layer.

    Harrison, Dec 27, 2003
  7. Kaindia

    °Mike° Guest

    Resize the image to 320 high -- do *not* set the width, but use
    the 'Maintain aspect ratio', or equivalent. Once the image has
    been resized to a height of 320 pixels, use the crop feature, or
    probably better, the canvas size feature, to crop the picture/canvas
    to 320x240. Be sure you make a backup first.

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:40:04 +1300, in
    <sa7Hb.14568$>
    Kaindia scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 27, 2003
  8. Kaindia

    Kaindia Guest

    The pic that i am fiddling with can also be 300 * 300 but the reason i am
    not doing is because it was taken in digital format and not scanned. Here is
    the Spec for the photo i need to submit:
    ------------------
    Please select the image file you would like to verify. This image must be in
    the Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) File Interchange Format (JFIF)
    format. If the image is created by using a digital camera, it must have a
    resolution of 320 by 240 pixels, with either 24-bits of color, 8-bits of
    color or 8-bits of gray. If the image is created by scanning a photographic
    print the original print must have been 2" by 2" (50mm x 50mm), and the scan
    must be performed at a resolution of 150 dots per inch (dpi); the image must
    have a resolution of 300 by 300 pixels, with either 24-bits of color, 8-bits
    of color or 8-bits of gray. The image can not exceed 62,500 bytes (62.5KB)
    in size
    -----------------
    So i am not sure if i do a 300 * 300 and submit it, will they be able to
    know that this is not scanned pic. What if they print it out. Will it be
    2inches * 2 inches??

    Kaindia, Dec 27, 2003
  9. Kaindia

    Harrison Guest

    For Chissake, dude!
    E-mail the picture to me at policytest/03/att/hotmail dot com.
    Hurry up, I'm getting sleepy.

    Harrison, Dec 27, 2003
  10. Kaindia

    Kaindia Guest

    Thankx dude,
    Can you tell me how can i do it. I have Photoshop 6 and paintshop Pro
    In fact i can do it and bring it to 320(w) * 2470(h) pixels but the image
    appears distorted, like squashing a face.
    I have tried cropping and it does make a bit of difference but any more
    croping will chop chin or hair
    Can you guide me on this. Thankxx

    Cheers

    -

    -

    Kaindia, Dec 27, 2003
  11. Kaindia

    Kaindia Guest

    Hey Mike

    Its the other way round thats needed:
    320pixels wide * 240pixels high.

    Her is the specs for the pic:

    The image must be in the Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) File

    Kaindia, Dec 27, 2003
  12. Kaindia

    Harrison Guest

    I already posted a step-by-step how to in Photoshop.
    I figured you read it and it was over your head, so you didn't try it.

    Harrison, Dec 27, 2003
  13. Kaindia

    tirechicken Guest

    "Kaindia" <> wrote message

    > Hey Mike
    >
    > Its the other way round thats needed:
    > 320pixels wide * 240pixels high.

    Newsgroup for you
    comp.graphics.apps.photoshop

    tirechicken, Dec 27, 2003
  14. Kaindia

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, I'm sorry, I should have got that the other way around.
    So, ammended, I should have said:
    Resize the image to 320 wide -- do *not* set the height, but use
    the 'Maintain aspect ratio', or equivalent. Once the image has
    been resized to a width of 320 pixels, use the crop feature, or
    probably better, the canvas size feature, to crop the picture/canvas
    to 320x240. Be sure you make a backup first.

    You must use the aspect ratio, as the picture has obviously
    been taken in portrait proportions, but 320x240 is more like
    landscape proportions. Cropping it the only solution, and if
    it were me, I'd crop the picture *before* resizing it -- but
    that's a bit trickier to get the exact proportions.

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 18:52:52 +1300, in
    <X69Hb.14580$>
    Kaindia scrawled:

    °Mike°, Dec 27, 2003
  15. Kaindia

    Kaindia Guest

    Sorry dude,

    I got your instructions wrong. Tried copying pasting existing passport pic
    onto new blank image of size: 320 * 240!
    Will try right now. Its asking for 3 options when creating new image: white
    / background color / transparent color. Which should i select. I assume it
    should be transparent right

    Kaindia, Dec 27, 2003
  16. Kaindia

    Harrison Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 19:05:29 +1300, "Kaindia" <>
    wrote:

    >Sorry dude,
    >
    >I got your instructions wrong. Tried copying pasting existing passport pic
    >onto new blank image of size: 320 * 240!
    >Will try right now. Its asking for 3 options when creating new image: white
    >/ background color / transparent color. Which should i select. I assume it
    >should be transparent right

    Wrong. Make it white. If it's transparent, you won't be able to reduce
    the opacity :)

    Harrison, Dec 27, 2003
  17. Kaindia

    Harrison Guest

    I'm turning in for tonight.
    If you can't get, send me the e-mail (policytest/03/att/hotmail dot
    com (remove the /'s and figure out the rest)) and I'll do it for you
    and send back.

    Harrison, Dec 27, 2003
  18. Kaindia

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 19:05:29 +1300, "Kaindia" <>
    scribbled:

    >Sorry dude,
    >
    >I got your instructions wrong. Tried copying pasting existing passport pic
    >onto new blank image of size: 320 * 240!
    >Will try right now. Its asking for 3 options when creating new image: white
    >/ background color / transparent color. Which should i select. I assume it
    >should be transparent right

    Dude, just email me the picture and the exact dimensions you
    need it and I'll do it and send it back to you, it'll be easier for
    all....

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Dec 27, 2003
  19. Kaindia

    Bri. Guest

    In news:sa7Hb.14568$,
    Kaindia typed...

    > Hellooo
    >
    > I need to trim a digital passport photo to the resolution of
    > 320 pixels wide * 240 pixels high.
    >
    > Got the pic taken at a Kodak outlet and they gave it to me on floppy
    > and has the size of 833Kb. They told me they couldnt do the specs for
    > me.
    > At the moment its showing in Photoshop as 1024pixels(w) *
    > 1365pixels(h)
    >
    > When i try to change image size in Adobe Photoshop 6.0 to 320(w) *
    > 240(h) the image appears to be distorted i.e like when you try to
    > squash someones face and it appears fat. Is there some way i can do
    > this and sort of keep the face looking normal???

    Download Irfanview
    http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3001-2192-10180889.html

    From the "Image" tab, select rotate, so that your pic is in landscape.
    Check the "maintain aspect" box, then resize.
    JD

    HTH
    --
    Bri.

    Bri., Dec 27, 2003
  20. Kaindia

    Bri. Guest

    In news:bsjiol$37q$,
    Bri. typed...

    > In news:sa7Hb.14568$,
    > Kaindia typed...
    >
    >> Hellooo
    >>
    >> I need to trim a digital passport photo to the resolution of
    >> 320 pixels wide * 240 pixels high.
    >>
    >> Got the pic taken at a Kodak outlet and they gave it to me on floppy
    >> and has the size of 833Kb. They told me they couldnt do the specs for
    >> me.
    >> At the moment its showing in Photoshop as 1024pixels(w) *
    >> 1365pixels(h)
    >>
    >> When i try to change image size in Adobe Photoshop 6.0 to 320(w) *
    >> 240(h) the image appears to be distorted i.e like when you try to
    >> squash someones face and it appears fat. Is there some way i can do
    >> this and sort of keep the face looking normal???

    > Download Irfanview
    > http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3001-2192-10180889.html
    >
    > From the "Image" tab, select rotate, so that your pic is in landscape.
    > Check the "maintain aspect" box, then resize.
    > JD
    >
    > HTH

    Sorry, forget the last message. I'm awake now and have re-read the
    question.

    --
    Bri.

    Bri., Dec 27, 2003