Picture Quality: Best vs. Best (3:2)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gail Gurman, May 24, 2005.

  1. Gail Gurman

    Gail Gurman Guest

    I have a Kodak DX6340; not the top of the line, but it works for me.

    There are four picture quality options: Best, Best(3:2), Better, and Good.
    Here are the descriptions from the User's Guide for the first two:

    Best: (3.1 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); pictures are
    highest resolution and largest file size.

    Best (3:2): (2.8 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); also ideal
    for printing to the Kodak EasyShare printer dock 6000 and other printing
    solutions.

    Aside from the assumption that 3.1 MP is better than 2.8 MP, can anyone
    distinguish between these two settings?

    --
    Gail Gurman

    http://www.gurman.org/

    Gail Gurman, May 24, 2005

  2. Gail Gurman

    Gadi Ben-Avi Guest

    Hi Gail,

    The first second is the best the camera can output, but the ratio between
    the width and length and 4:3. This means that it won't print well on
    standard photo paper which has a ratio of 3:2.

    The second setting crops the picture in the camera so it will fit well on
    photo paper.

    Gadi

    Gadi Ben-Avi, May 24, 2005

  3. Gail Gurman wrote:
    > I have a Kodak DX6340; not the top of the line, but it works for me.
    >
    > There are four picture quality options: Best, Best(3:2), Better, and
    > Good. Here are the descriptions from the User's Guide for the first
    > two:
    >
    > Best: (3.1 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); pictures
    > are highest resolution and largest file size.
    >
    > Best (3:2): (2.8 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); also
    > ideal for printing to the Kodak EasyShare printer dock 6000 and other
    > printing solutions.
    >
    > Aside from the assumption that 3.1 MP is better than 2.8 MP, can
    > anyone distinguish between these two settings?

    Most likely:

    Best => 4:3 aspect ratio

    Best (3:2) => 3:2 aspect ratio (matches 6 x 4 inch [15 x 10cm] paper)

    Best has more information at the top and bottom of the picture, but you
    would need to crop the Best image for printing it on 15 x 10cm paper.

    David

    David J Taylor, May 24, 2005
  4. Gail Gurman

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Gail Gurman wrote:
    > I have a Kodak DX6340; not the top of the line, but it works for me.
    >
    > There are four picture quality options: Best, Best(3:2), Better, and Good.
    > Here are the descriptions from the User's Guide for the first two:
    >
    > Best: (3.1 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); pictures are
    > highest resolution and largest file size.
    >
    > Best (3:2): (2.8 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); also ideal
    > for printing to the Kodak EasyShare printer dock 6000 and other printing
    > solutions.
    >
    > Aside from the assumption that 3.1 MP is better than 2.8 MP, can anyone
    > distinguish between these two settings?

    The difference is aspect ratio. In the Best 3:2 setting some of the top
    and bottom pixels are discarded so that that stored image is in the
    proper aspect ratio for 4x6 prints. The resolution as to pixels/inch is
    the same. The difference is that some pixels aren't saved. The 3.1mp
    setting gives you the most pixels and is better if you want to do post
    processing to select the area of the picture you want printed on the print.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 24, 2005
  5. Gail Gurman

    Gail Gurman Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    > Gail Gurman wrote:
    >> I have a Kodak DX6340; not the top of the line, but it works for me.
    >> There are four picture quality options: Best, Best(3:2), Better, and
    >> Good. Here are the descriptions from the User's Guide for the first
    >> two:
    >> Best: (3.1 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); pictures
    >> are highest resolution and largest file size.
    >> Best (3:2): (2.8 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); also
    >> ideal for printing to the Kodak EasyShare printer dock 6000 and other
    >> printing solutions.
    >> Aside from the assumption that 3.1 MP is better than 2.8 MP, can
    >> anyone distinguish between these two settings?

    > Most likely:
    > Best => 4:3 aspect ratio
    > Best (3:2) => 3:2 aspect ratio (matches 6 x 4 inch [15 x 10cm]
    > paper)
    > Best has more information at the top and bottom of the picture, but
    > you would need to crop the Best image for printing it on 15 x 10cm
    > paper.

    Thank you to you and everyone else who responded to my question. It all
    makes so much sense now!

    --
    Gail Gurman

    http://www.gurman.org/