Picture Project Usability

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joan, Nov 4, 2005.

  1. Joan

    Joan Guest

    Although I'd classify this program as lame, I do use it. However, it has
    one of the worst features I've seen in a program and I've just sent my
    comments to Nikon. See below.

    If anyone else has the same opinion, perhaps you might care to send a
    similar comment and maybe add some of your own criticisms.

    Who knows, we might even be able to get a useful program out of Nikon in the
    near future.

    <quote>
    Subject: Picture Project

    I'd give the program a rating of 3 out of 5 for usability.
    However, it has a major drawback. When clicking on an item in the treeview
    that has sub-items, the program displays thumbnails for all images in the
    subtree. This takes too long on my system and it's a high spec laptop.
    While I can see a possible plus side to this it isn't a feature that should
    be the default. I don't know of any other treeview and listview program
    that works this way.
    In order to have this feature, I would suggest that it be removed as a
    default and added as a right lick menu item in the treeview so that the user
    has control and can decide when to "show all in this branch".
    </quote>

    --
    Joan
    http://joan.colley.name:85

    Joan, Nov 4, 2005

  2. Joan

    Mike Warren Guest

    > Although I'd classify this program as lame, I do use it. However, it
    > has one of the worst features I've seen in a program and I've just
    > sent my comments to Nikon. See below.

    I had heard Picture Project was no good when I purchaced my D70s
    so didn't bother even looking at it. Nikon View is a free download and
    works fine for me.

    --
    Mike Warren
    My web gallery: http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/mike

    Mike Warren, Nov 6, 2005

  3. Joan

    Joan Guest

    You can't have both on the same PC ;-(

    Does Nikon View support the RAW from the D70s and D50?
    Nikon say that PP replaces NV and as I had installed PP I didn't bother to
    check on updates to NV.

    BTW Mike, the Cairns trip photos are on the site.

    --
    Joan
    http://joan.colley.name:85

    Joan, Nov 6, 2005
  4. Joan

    Mike Warren Guest

    Joan wrote:
    > Does Nikon View support the RAW from the D70s and D50?

    Yes. Roz uses it with her D50 NEFs and I use it with my D70s
    ones. If I remember correctly, NV has to be installed and updated.
    The version we use is 6.26.

    > BTW Mike, the Cairns trip photos are on the site.

    What's the URL?

    Mike Warren, Nov 6, 2005
  5. Joan

    Joan Guest

    In my sig. Click on the words above the picture of the 5700. I run the
    site on my home PC. A desktop, not the laptop I use for newsgroups.

    Joan, Nov 6, 2005
  6. Joan

    Mike Warren Guest

    Joan wrote:
    > In my sig. Click on the words above the picture of the 5700. I run
    > the site on my home PC. A desktop, not the laptop I use for
    > newsgroups.

    Ok. Have had a quick look. I'll go back when I have more time.
    Any D50 pics there yet?

    Mike Warren, Nov 6, 2005
  7. Joan

    Joan Guest

    Not yet. I just went for a walk down to Manly and took a few pics. I'll
    see if I can add anything from them. There will be a pano of the beach from
    and held shots, not sure what else yet.

    Joan, Nov 6, 2005