    of combfilters and stuff?). At least it's good enough for now I guess.
    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    Lars-Erik Østerud, Jan 10, 2006

  2. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Brian Guest

    Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> wrote:

    >I've had an issue with the picture shifting way to the right with my
    >new Philips DVDR3320V DVD-recorder (see an example image on this web
    >page -> http://home.chello.no/~larse/DVDR3320Vbilde.jpg) and have been
    >looking for anyone that could know how to fix or adjust this problem.
    >
    >Now I found something strange when testing other TVs and settings:
    >
    >1) The picture shift to the right on other TVs as well (testet with a
    >Samsung 4:3 TV -> http://home.chello.no/~larse/DVDR3320Vbilde3.jpg).
    >So it must be the DVDR3320V that gives an image shifted to the right.
    >
    >2) If I flip the RGS/component switch on the rear of the DVDR3320V the
    >horisontal shift is gone, but the image gets slightly worse (I guess
    >it's becuase it's not using RGB, but one common video-signal then or?)
    >
    >On the cheap Samsung 4:3 image has interference and moire patterns.
    >
    >But on my Philips 16:0 TV it's almost as good as RGB (might be because
    >of combfilters and stuff?). At least it's good enough for now I guess.

    On some DVD recorders and DVD players the picture on the TV can be
    moved to the left or right by pressing the arrow (direction) keys on
    the DVD Recorder/player's remove control. There are three options of
    viewing, letterbox, wide screen and the third one I think is scan
    view, in scan view not all of the picture can fit on the screen so you
    use the remote control to move the picture on the TV to the left or to
    the right.

    Regards Brian
    Brian, Jan 10, 2006

  3. Lars-Erik Østerud

    Biz Guest

    Is it possible this could just be a case of the difference between RGB over
    component vs YPbPr over component? They are different and may not be 100%
    compatible on the sets you tried....This section of the DVD FAQ discusses
    this and I *think* this may be your problem...

    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.1

    Especiially here below the bullet points...

    Most DVD players with component video outputs use YUV (Y'PbPr), which is
    incompatible with RGB equipment. European players with component video
    outputs usually provide RGBS (red/green/blue/sync) signals on the SCART
    connector. YUV to RGB transcoders are rumored to be available for $200-$300,
    but seem hard to track down. A $700 converter is available from avscience,
    and $900 converter, the CVC 100, is available from Extron. Converters are
    also available from Altinex, Kramer, Monster Cable, and others. For
    progressive scan you need a converter that can handle 31.5 kHz signals.
    Converters from s-video are also an option (try Markertek).

    Note: The correct term for analog color-difference output is Y'Pb'Pr', not
    Y'Cb'Cr' (which is digital, not analog). To simplify things, this FAQ
    sometimes uses the term YUV in the generic sense to refer to analog color
    difference signals.

    Biz, Jan 10, 2006
  4. Biz:

    > Is it possible this could just be a case of the difference between RGB over
    > component vs YPbPr over component? They are different and may not be 100%

    It should provide standard RGB when the switch is in RGB position (in
    fact both the SCART and the jacks should provide RGB signal then...

    In the COMPONENT position the jacks provide "Y'PbPr", and it does not
    say anything about the SCART (but it looks like a composite signal
    then since it has more interference, and a different alignment).

    My TV handles both RGB and composite on SCART1 and S-Video on SCART2
    (havn't tried S-video, the DVD has a S-video connector as well :)

    > Most DVD players with component video outputs use YUV (Y'PbPr), which is
    > incompatible with RGB equipment. European players with component video

    I guess that why they have the selector switch between RGB and
    COMPONENT, but the logic is somwhat opposite. It's when it's in RGB
    position (component OFF) that the picture is shifted to the right.
    When the switch is in COMPONENT the SCART produces composite video.
    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    Lars-Erik Østerud, Jan 11, 2006
  5. In article <LhMwf.3528$zc1.1836@amstwist00>, Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> wrote:
    >I've had an issue with the picture shifting way to the right with my
    >new Philips DVDR3320V DVD-recorder (see an example image on this web
    >page -> http://home.chello.no/~larse/DVDR3320Vbilde.jpg) and have been
    >looking for anyone that could know how to fix or adjust this problem.
    >
    >Now I found something strange when testing other TVs and settings:

    >1) The picture shift to the right on other TVs as well (testet with a
    >Samsung 4:3 TV -> http://home.chello.no/~larse/DVDR3320Vbilde3.jpg).
    >So it must be the DVDR3320V that gives an image shifted to the right.

    >2) If I flip the RGS/component switch on the rear of the DVDR3320V the
    >horisontal shift is gone, but the image gets slightly worse (I guess
    >it's becuase it's not using RGB, but one common video-signal then or?)

    I'm using another model of Philips DVR but in the setup menus there
    is an option for shifting the picture to the right or left to match
    your set. In the ones in the US there is also a setting for
    black level to be the typical level, or the IRE blacker-than-black
    level.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Jan 14, 2006
  6. Bill Vermillion:

    > I'm using another model of Philips DVR but in the setup menus there
    > is an option for shifting the picture to the right or left to match
    > your set. In the ones in the US there is also a setting for
    > black level to be the typical level, or the IRE blacker-than-black

    Had this on an older Samsung, but it's not there on the Philips
    DVDR3320V (I think it's not actually a Philips but an LG recorder, all
    software, disk-name, tags in files etc suggest that it is an LG :)
    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    Lars-Erik Østerud, Jan 14, 2006