Picture editing question, help wanted please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Andy, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Hi,

    I recently bought a new camera (a nikon coolpix 3200) to take some pictures
    of my pocket watch collection to post on the internet.
    What I would like to do is take a picture of the pocket watch and somehow
    seperate it from the background so im just left with the watch. I've
    searched round the internet and found that the suggested best way to do this
    would be to use an editing program and trim the photo. I've tried that but
    I'm hopeless and the end result is terrible. I was wondering if anyone knew
    a better way to do it.
    I am trying to make a picture so that I have 6 or 7 pocket watches all on
    the one picture and thought that trimming the pocket watch picture would be
    the best way. I stumbled across some posts which suggested a good way to
    achieve this would be to use Photoshop and the photomerge feature ( I may
    have named this wrong, I cant remember what its called). I tried to use the
    photomerge but my backgrounds were all different colours and the end result
    was not good either.

    Thanks to those who reply,
    Andy

    Andy, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Andy

    GT40 Guest

    You can do this in Photoshop. Maybe also in Photoshop Elemets, or if
    you are in the mood The Gimp

    GT40, Oct 8, 2004

  3. Andy

    ZONED! Guest

    On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 18:45:36 +0100, "Andy" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I recently bought a new camera (a nikon coolpix 3200) to take some pictures
    >of my pocket watch collection to post on the internet.
    >What I would like to do is take a picture of the pocket watch and somehow
    >seperate it from the background so im just left with the watch. I've
    >searched round the internet and found that the suggested best way to do this
    >would be to use an editing program and trim the photo. I've tried that but
    >I'm hopeless and the end result is terrible. I was wondering if anyone knew
    >a better way to do it.
    >I am trying to make a picture so that I have 6 or 7 pocket watches all on
    >the one picture and thought that trimming the pocket watch picture would be
    >the best way. I stumbled across some posts which suggested a good way to
    >achieve this would be to use Photoshop and the photomerge feature ( I may
    >have named this wrong, I cant remember what its called). I tried to use the
    >photomerge but my backgrounds were all different colours and the end result
    >was not good either.
    >
    >Thanks to those who reply,
    >Andy

    perhaps comp.graphics.apps.photoshop may be a better place to query.

    ZONED!, Oct 8, 2004
  4. I have done this a few ways...first will say the quick and dirty ways and
    last I will discribe the way I do it now.

    If you have shot everything allready....using Photoshop or a program that
    has masking....mask the object and reverse the mask...make a new image and
    put guides to devide up the area. Cut from the old image and Paste to the
    new one. Tranform/Scale to the size you want. Do the same to all of them.

    To make it easier...put up a white sweep...a curved piece of stiff paper
    behind and under the watch. Put some lights around it. Build a tent of a
    white sheet or a shower curtain and light from outside of the tent.

    Buy a LightBox...a cloth box that does the above. Very easy and what I use
    now....with a couple of strobes. Do a white ballance to be sure the color is
    right...makes it easier to blend the backgrounds.

    A black sweep might be usefull too.

    Let me know if you have further questions after you have tried a few shots.

    Gene Palmiter, Oct 8, 2004
  5. "Andy" <> writes:

    > I recently bought a new camera (a nikon coolpix 3200) to take some pictures
    > of my pocket watch collection to post on the internet.
    > What I would like to do is take a picture of the pocket watch and somehow
    > seperate it from the background so im just left with the watch. I've
    > searched round the internet and found that the suggested best way to do this
    > would be to use an editing program and trim the photo. I've tried that but
    > I'm hopeless and the end result is terrible. I was wondering if anyone knew
    > a better way to do it.
    > I am trying to make a picture so that I have 6 or 7 pocket watches all on
    > the one picture and thought that trimming the pocket watch picture would be
    > the best way. I stumbled across some posts which suggested a good way to
    > achieve this would be to use Photoshop and the photomerge feature ( I may
    > have named this wrong, I cant remember what its called). I tried to use the
    > photomerge but my backgrounds were all different colours and the end result
    > was not good either.

    You're talking about using masking to eliminate the background.
    Pocket watches are a *lot* easier than some subjects -- imagine tree
    leaves against the horizon, or a person's hair. On the other hand,
    pocket watches probably have reflective surfaces, which will
    complicate things no end.

    It's a basic skill for digital image manipulation. There are lots of
    tricks and shortcuts to learn. And after that it's still a fair
    amount of work. All I can say is, keep practicing.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 8, 2004
  6. Andy

    KarlC19880 Guest

[...]

    Here's what I suggest- make a lightbox using something perhaps the size of a
    paper carton lined with a couple of layers of aluminum foil. Cut holes in the
    lined foil box to let the heat escape; put a simple clamp lamp with a bare 60
    watt bulb in the box & cover it with a piece of glass; put some white tissue
    paper on top of the glass & put your watch on top of that. The back lighting
    will eliminate (or at least minimize) any shadow from the watch. Set your
    camera on manual & if necessary use a tripod then adjust your aperture &
    shutter speed to get a pleasing exposure for the watch. Once you've found the
    settings that give you the image you desire, take all your watch shots with the
    same settings for consistency.
    Be careful to make sure your lamp doesn't overheat the box or any of the other
    materials!

    IMHO taking the time to figure out how to get a pleasing & consistent result
    out of your camera beats trying to fix problem images with software.
    If you start with consistently exposed images you should have little trouble
    combining them all into the single image file of all your watches.

    Karl Cook

    -Every day it's the same thing -- variety. I want something different!

    KarlC19880, Oct 9, 2004
  7. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    > I have done this a few ways...first will say the quick and dirty ways and
    > last I will discribe the way I do it now.
    >
    > If you have shot everything allready....using Photoshop or a program that
    > has masking....mask the object and reverse the mask...make a new image and
    > put guides to devide up the area. Cut from the old image and Paste to the
    > new one. Tranform/Scale to the size you want. Do the same to all of them.
    >
    > To make it easier...put up a white sweep...a curved piece of stiff paper
    > behind and under the watch. Put some lights around it. Build a tent of a
    > white sheet or a shower curtain and light from outside of the tent.
    >
    > Buy a LightBox...a cloth box that does the above. Very easy and what I use
    > now....with a couple of strobes. Do a white ballance to be sure the color

    is
    > right...makes it easier to blend the backgrounds.
    >
    > A black sweep might be usefull too.
    >
    > Let me know if you have further questions after you have tried a few

    shots.

    Hi,

    Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked around the internet and found some
    info about light boxes. I'll buy one and see how I get on.
    I'll also have a look at masking.

    Thanks to all those who replied
    Andy

    Andy, Oct 9, 2004