    further... although I saw some Lindows/Linspire based software that
    seems to do what I want I think(L-photo?)

    Anything quick and dirty/easy would do.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 5, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > I have ~700 images that I'd like to group and put into a picture CD of
    > some sort, kinda like how they do it with DVDs, chapters etc... it's all
    > done in time line, so easily sorted, I just need the software.

    > On Windows I have Nero 6.x at home, some kodak software that came with
    > my camera, and lord know what else, willing to try anything.

    Frpom tinkering with an older version of Nero it appears that you can
    use this, but have to choose VCD, and do a slide show, but I would have
    thought that you could choose picture CD or similar... I'll tinker some
    more when I get home.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 5, 2005

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 5/01/2005 3:59 p.m.:
    > Can these be easily made?
    >
    > I have ~700 images that I'd like to group and put into a picture CD of
    > some sort, kinda like how they do it with DVDs, chapters etc... it's all
    > done in time line, so easily sorted, I just need the software.
    >
    > I may well even have it, but don't realise.
    >
    > On Windows I have Nero 6.x at home, some kodak software that came with
    > my camera, and lord know what else, willing to try anything.
    >
    > On Linux I have whatever Xandros 2 comes with, and havent looked much
    > further... although I saw some Lindows/Linspire based software that
    > seems to do what I want I think(L-photo?)
    >
    > Anything quick and dirty/easy would do.

    I am currently looking at Free (as in beer) of the same for DVD, with
    not a lot of sucess. For CD i found and used PictureToTV the executeable
    was p2tv141.exe at about 4.5M (Demo ware but cracks available)

    It worked well creating index pages etc.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups

    Collector»NZ, Jan 5, 2005
  4. Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> Can these be easily made?
    >> Anything quick and dirty/easy would do.

    > I am currently looking at Free (as in beer) of the same for DVD, with
    > not a lot of sucess. For CD i found and used PictureToTV the executeable
    > was p2tv141.exe at about 4.5M (Demo ware but cracks available)
    >
    > It worked well creating index pages etc.

    found this... kinda interesting.

    http://www.re.org/kristin/picturecd.html
    Kodak Picture CD images must be in the JPEG format, though they can be
    any size and any resolution. Pictures must be stored in a sub-directory
    of the disc titled "PICTURES". Data may be stored on the CD at the top
    level or in another directory. *Total number of photos possible is
    unknown. Kodak Picture CDs and Photo CDs contain only 100 images.*

    When you get to burning your CD, it must be in the ISO 9660 format and
    the files must not include any Macintosh extention information. CDs may
    be burned in either the CD-ROM or CD-ROM XA formats, and multisession
    CDs will work at the Picture Maker kiosks.

    That's it. :)

    and most if not all DVD players I've seen support "Kodak Photo CDs"

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 5, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 5/01/2005 5:06 p.m.:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >>> Can these be easily made?
    >>> Anything quick and dirty/easy would do.

    >> I am currently looking at Free (as in beer) of the same for DVD, with
    >> not a lot of sucess. For CD i found and used PictureToTV the
    >> executeable was p2tv141.exe at about 4.5M (Demo ware but cracks
    >> available)
    >>
    >> It worked well creating index pages etc.

    > found this... kinda interesting.
    >
    > http://www.re.org/kristin/picturecd.html
    > Kodak Picture CD images must be in the JPEG format, though they can be
    > any size and any resolution. Pictures must be stored in a sub-directory
    > of the disc titled "PICTURES". Data may be stored on the CD at the top
    > level or in another directory. *Total number of photos possible is
    > unknown. Kodak Picture CDs and Photo CDs contain only 100 images.*
    >
    > When you get to burning your CD, it must be in the ISO 9660 format and
    > the files must not include any Macintosh extention information. CDs may
    > be burned in either the CD-ROM or CD-ROM XA formats, and multisession
    > CDs will work at the Picture Maker kiosks.
    >
    > That's it. :)
    >
    > and most if not all DVD players I've seen support "Kodak Photo CDs"

    Except my cruddy old (but well serving) Lenoxx DVD8700. But I hope to
    update soon.

    The issue is that if you require real portability you have to creat a
    VCD stream for the pictures.

    Collector»NZ, Jan 5, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in news:3413guF46fgpsU1
    @individual.net:

    > On Windows I have Nero 6.x at home, some kodak software that came with
    > my camera, and lord know what else, willing to try anything.

    Use the nero plugin for Irfanview.
    irfanview and the plugins here:
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    Once you install the plugin pack, the nero slideshow tool is under File,
    slideshow, burn to cd.

    Last time I did this, it was very easy.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jan 5, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    bambam Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in news:3413guF46fgpsU1
    @individual.net:

    > Can these be easily made?
    >
    > I have ~700 images that I'd like to group and put into a picture CD of
    > some sort, kinda like how they do it with DVDs, chapters etc... it's all
    > done in time line, so easily sorted, I just need the software.

    Funnily enough this program was mentioned in alt.comp.freeware only
    yesterday, looks good-

    http://www.nu2.nu/photovcd/

    bambam, Jan 5, 2005
  8. bambam wrote:
    >>I have ~700 images that I'd like to group and put into a picture CD of
    >>some sort, kinda like how they do it with DVDs, chapters etc... it's all
    >>done in time line, so easily sorted, I just need the software.

    > Funnily enough this program was mentioned in alt.comp.freeware only
    > yesterday, looks good-
    > http://www.nu2.nu/photovcd/

    looks like exactly what I'm after... downloading it now.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 5, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> I have ~700 images that I'd like to group and put into a picture CD
    >>> of some sort, kinda like how they do it with DVDs, chapters etc...
    >>> it's all done in time line, so easily sorted, I just need the software.

    >> Funnily enough this program was mentioned in alt.comp.freeware only
    >> yesterday, looks good-
    >> http://www.nu2.nu/photovcd/

    > looks like exactly what I'm after... downloading it now.

    well after playing with it for a few mins, it is currently making one
    for me... seems good enough that I might just pay for the pro
    version.(US$25)

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 5, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >>> Funnily enough this program was mentioned in alt.comp.freeware only
    >>> yesterday, looks good-
    >>> http://www.nu2.nu/photovcd/

    >well after playing with it for a few mins, it is currently making one
    >for me... seems good enough that I might just pay for the pro
    >version.(US$25)

    But what kind of quality are you going to get? If it's a VCD, then isn't
    it turning your still images into MPEG-1 movies? Or is it a
    higher-quality SVCD?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 5, 2005
  11. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >and most if not all DVD players I've seen support "Kodak Photo CDs"

    Which was never much of a success, and is now well and truly obsolete.
    Which is why the author of the article you mentioned couldn't find much
    information about it.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jan 5, 2005
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>well after playing with it for a few mins, it is currently making one
    >>for me... seems good enough that I might just pay for the pro
    >>version.(US$25)

    > But what kind of quality are you going to get? If it's a VCD, then isn't
    > it turning your still images into MPEG-1 movies? Or is it a
    > higher-quality SVCD?

    all I want is a functioning slideshow... it's done that. I like some of
    the features availible in the pro version, I like to reward programmers
    who make what I want with cash.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 5, 2005
  13. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>and most if not all DVD players I've seen support "Kodak Photo CDs"

    > Which was never much of a success, and is now well and truly obsolete.
    > Which is why the author of the article you mentioned couldn't find much
    > information about it.

    why is it so well supported if it is obsolete?
    what took voer from it as being the "standard" in photo cds?

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 5, 2005
  14. In <> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Lawrence D?Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>and most if not all DVD players I've seen support "Kodak Photo CDs"

    >> Which was never much of a success, and is now well and truly obsolete.
    >> Which is why the author of the article you mentioned couldn't find
    >> much information about it.

    > why is it so well supported if it is obsolete?
    > what took voer from it as being the "standard" in photo cds?

    Be careful here, there are two different standards from Kodak: Photo CD
    and Picture CD.

    Photo CD is an older format which dates back to the early 1990s. The
    images are scanned from film at a high resolution and stored on the CD
    in a proprietary format. Photo CD never really caught on in the consumer
    world but is still in use with professional photographers.

    Picture CD is a much newer format designed for the era of digital
    cameras. The pictures are medium resolution, JPEG compressed, and stored
    on a standard ISO9660-formatted CD.

    Most modern DVD players can view Picture CDs. I haven't seen any that
    can view the older Photo CDs, but they probably exist. Stand-alone Photo
    CD players certainly are/were available, and Photo CDs have a CD-i (CD
    Interactive) application on them so they can be viewed in a CD-i player.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 5, 2005