    I cannot test that at the moment

    Thank you for anyone's help in advance
    Scott
    Ratedr, Jul 17, 2006

  2. Ratedr

    Ratedr Guest

    to add to this post..All of the pics before today, when I drag my mouse
    over them has full info "Casio Exilim S500, etc" the newer ones just
    say "JPEG file", and also to add I tried it on 3 seperate computers

    Ratedr, Jul 17, 2006

  3. Ratedr

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Ratedr wrote:

    > to add to this post..All of the pics before today, when I drag my mouse
    > over them has full info "Casio Exilim S500, etc" the newer ones just
    > say "JPEG file", and also to add I tried it on 3 seperate computers
    >
    > Ratedr wrote:
    > > I have a Casio Exilim and I took about 300 photos over a few days this
    > > past week. Every days photos are both visible on the camera as well as
    > > the computer..until last night. I didnt intentionally change any of
    > > the settings (what I mean is Im about 99.9% positive I didnt change
    > > them as I know I didnt on purpose), and now all of the pics from last
    > > night I can view with no issues on the camera itself, but they wont
    > > open with any of my photo programs (photoshop, windows photo
    > > viewer..even paint!)... does anyone have any suggestions as to what
    > > could be the problem
    > > I have Windows XP Prof, Casio Exilim, Card Reader if anyone needs that
    > > info. I dont currently have the wire to directly connect the camera so
    > > I cannot test that at the moment
    > >
    > > Thank you for anyone's help in advance
    > > Scott

    Are you actually downloading them to the computer or trying to read
    them off the card reader or camera? If you download them to your
    computer then they should open. I am not sure about settings etc but
    if they're saved as jpeg then they should be readable. I just fired up
    my Olympus, took a shot, hooked it up to the computer, opened
    paintshop, looked under 'open' for the removable drive, which is what
    it classes my camera as and found the file, clicked it and opened it,
    all in the last few minutes.

    --
    Paul (she dreams in color, she dreams in red)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Jul 17, 2006
  4. Ratedr

    Ratedr Guest

    Tried it both ways. Opened it from the card reader...got error saying
    something like "unknown or invalid jpeg marker type". when I copied
    and pasted them to my comp...same thing

    Ratedr, Jul 17, 2006
  5. Ratedr wrote:
    > to add to this post..All of the pics before today, when I drag my mouse
    > over them has full info "Casio Exilim S500, etc" the newer ones just
    > say "JPEG file", and also to add I tried it on 3 seperate computers

    It sounds like the files from yesterday have been corrupted so that the
    header information is no longer complete, but the thumbnails used by
    the camera are OK and the main high quality image is rendered
    inaccessible.

    These faults are usually caused by bad handling of the media.
    Unplugging it with power on and/or a write cycle in progress. The only
    way to be sure is to examine a couple of consecutive bad images. If you
    drop me a line privately I would be happy to check them.

    It is usually easy to determine what the damage is, but a lot harder to
    repair it.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    (my curious email address is valid exactly as it stands)

    > Ratedr wrote:
    > > I have a Casio Exilim and I took about 300 photos over a few days this
    > > past week. Every days photos are both visible on the camera as well as
    > > the computer..until last night. I didnt intentionally change any of
    > > the settings (what I mean is Im about 99.9% positive I didnt change
    > > them as I know I didnt on purpose), and now all of the pics from last
    > > night I can view with no issues on the camera itself, but they wont
    > > open with any of my photo programs (photoshop, windows photo
    > > viewer..even paint!)... does anyone have any suggestions as to what
    > > could be the problem
    > > I have Windows XP Prof, Casio Exilim, Card Reader if anyone needs that
    > > info. I dont currently have the wire to directly connect the camera so
    > > I cannot test that at the moment
    > >
    > > Thank you for anyone's help in advance
    > > Scott
    |||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk, Jul 17, 2006
  6. Ratedr

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Ratedr wrote:

    > Tried it both ways. Opened it from the card reader...got error saying
    > something like "unknown or invalid jpeg marker type". when I copied
    > and pasted them to my comp...same thing

    If you have your xp set to show file types, so you can actually see
    something like
    12345.jpeg
    then try renaming the file. when i ever download a pic from a website
    for some reason it saves as a .JPE and I have to rename it for it to
    be classed as a jpg.

    I just looked at a website which kind of pointed to that error meaning
    corruption of the data, possibly on the card itself. do you have
    another card you can try?

    If you post

    unknown or invalid jpeg marker type

    into google you'll see it's not an uncommon problem and maybe many
    reasons?:O(

    Paul Heslop, Jul 17, 2006
  7. Ratedr

    Ratedr Guest

    It is very strange. I went away this
    weekend and all of the photos that I took up until yesterday were fine,
    then last night we had a 4 hr dinner, and EVERY photo...from the first
    one of the night at 6pm to the last one at 10pm wont open and wont even
    display the thumbnail in windows (it will view no problem in the
    camera...AND when I check on the details of the files in windows...they
    are all the same size appx as the working ones 1.5mb). I didnt take
    the card out until this morning (8 hrs after I took the last photo) and
    it was with the camera powered down. I dont know what else could have
    happened as I know I handled it properly, and its ONLY the pics from
    yesterday...! I still have pics on there from December that are in
    tact!

    Ratedr, Jul 17, 2006
  8. Ratedr wrote:
    > It is very strange. I went away this
    > weekend and all of the photos that I took up until yesterday were
    > fine, then last night we had a 4 hr dinner, and EVERY photo...from
    > the first one of the night at 6pm to the last one at 10pm wont open
    > and wont even display the thumbnail in windows (it will view no
    > problem in the camera...AND when I check on the details of the files
    > in windows...they are all the same size appx as the working ones
    > 1.5mb). I didnt take the card out until this morning (8 hrs after I
    > took the last photo) and it was with the camera powered down. I dont
    > know what else could have happened as I know I handled it properly,
    > and its ONLY the pics from yesterday...! I still have pics on there
    > from December that are in tact!
    >
    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    >> Ratedr wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Tried it both ways. Opened it from the card reader...got error
    >>> saying something like "unknown or invalid jpeg marker type". when
    >>> I copied and pasted them to my comp...same thing
    >>>

    >> If you have your xp set to show file types, so you can actually see
    >> something like
    >> 12345.jpeg
    >> then try renaming the file. when i ever download a pic from a website
    >> for some reason it saves as a .JPE and I have to rename it for it to
    >> be classed as a jpg.
    >>
    >> I just looked at a website which kind of pointed to that error
    >> meaning corruption of the data, possibly on the card itself. do you
    >> have another card you can try?
    >>
    >> If you post
    >>
    >> unknown or invalid jpeg marker type
    >>
    >> into google you'll see it's not an uncommon problem and maybe many
    >> reasons?:O(
    >>
    >> --
    >> Paul (she dreams in color, she dreams in red)
    >> Stop and Look
    >> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    Do you mean that Windows Explorer does not actually show the reader or the
    camera as an extra drive that can be opened and viewed in Paintshop or
    Photoshop? Can you "acquire" the drive by using either of the 2 graphics
    programs to access the card directly?
    Dennis Pogson, Jul 17, 2006
  9. Ratedr

    Ratedr Guest

    here is something that could further explain the problem. I am running
    a program "Photorescue 2.1" and when it gets to say...99% of recovery
    method 4, , it says the request could not be performed because of an
    I/O...." then i cant see the rest..

    Ratedr, Jul 17, 2006
  10. Ratedr

    Ratedr Guest

    Dennis, Im not sure what you are talking about. I can see F:\
    Removable drive, and I can open that and all of the thumbnails before
    yesterday come up and I can see the pics,,,,but yesterdays just the
    name comes up, and the jpeg logo (blue with some triangle, circle
    something). What do you mean acquire them with graphics programs?
    /

    Ratedr, Jul 17, 2006
  11. Ratedr

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Ratedr wrote:

    > here is something that could further explain the problem. I am running
    > a program "Photorescue 2.1" and when it gets to say...99% of recovery
    > method 4, , it says the request could not be performed because of an
    > I/O...." then i cant see the rest..

    damn, if you're using a recovery program and it is failing then it
    sounds like something is very corrupt.

    I did a little search and found your error, the original post was in
    german but it is

    The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

    after a little translating via babelfish the guy had a similar problem
    and was saying he had a lot of failures trying to rescue the pics,
    including the error you got with that program. He said he had some
    success with something called

    PC Inspector smart recovery

    of course I can't guarantee it but he said it got some pics back from
    the dead and some which were slightly damaged. Maybe there's a demo
    version or something?

    http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

    Paul Heslop, Jul 17, 2006
  12. Ratedr

    John Ashby Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:

    > Ratedr wrote:
    >>
    >> here is something that could further explain the problem. I am
    >> running a program "Photorescue 2.1" and when it gets to say...99% of
    >> recovery method 4, , it says the request could not be performed
    >> because of an I/O...." then i cant see the rest..
    >>

    > damn, if you're using a recovery program and it is failing then it
    > sounds like something is very corrupt.
    >
    > I did a little search and found your error, the original post was in
    > german but it is
    >
    > The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error
    >
    > after a little translating via babelfish the guy had a similar problem
    > and was saying he had a lot of failures trying to rescue the pics,
    > including the error you got with that program. He said he had some
    > success with something called
    >
    > PC Inspector smart recovery
    >
    > of course I can't guarantee it but he said it got some pics back from
    > the dead and some which were slightly damaged. Maybe there's a demo
    > version or something?
    >
    > http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

    It's Freeware, no need for a demo version.

    john
    John Ashby, Jul 17, 2006
  13. Ratedr

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Paul Heslop, Jul 17, 2006
  14. Ratedr

    iws Guest

    "Ratedr" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Casio Exilim and I took about 300 photos over a few days this
    > past week. Every days photos are both visible on the camera as well as
    > the computer..until last night. I didnt intentionally change any of
    > the settings (what I mean is Im about 99.9% positive I didnt change
    > them as I know I didnt on purpose), and now all of the pics from last
    > night I can view with no issues on the camera itself, but they wont
    > open with any of my photo programs (photoshop, windows photo
    > viewer..even paint!)... does anyone have any suggestions as to what
    > could be the problem
    > I have Windows XP Prof, Casio Exilim, Card Reader if anyone needs that
    > info. I dont currently have the wire to directly connect the camera so
    > I cannot test that at the moment
    >
    > Thank you for anyone's help in advance
    > Scott

    Whatever you do, don't try to take more pictures with that card. You really
    should try downloading via the USB cable first. If you have corrupted files,
    then you can try one of several recovery programs. Here's what I said in an
    earlier post on the same subject:

    "Whatever you do, don't write or save anything more to the card until you
    have a chance to restore. I had a problem awhile back with a CF card and
    tried several programs to recover the files. The one that worked best for me
    was Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery. It's free to use to recover
    image files http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital-image-recovery.htm I tried
    others including PC Inspector, Drive Rescue, and eImage Recovery but none of
    them recovered as many pics. Bear in mind that the success in recovery
    depends on the situation and there are unfortunately, no guarantees. BTW, I
    used a card reader when running the software. Good Luck."
    iws, Jul 17, 2006
  15. Ratedr

    Mick Harris Guest

    "Ratedr" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Casio Exilim and I took about 300 photos over a few days this
    > past week. Every days photos are both visible on the camera as well as
    > the computer..until last night. I didnt intentionally change any of
    > the settings (what I mean is Im about 99.9% positive I didnt change
    > them as I know I didnt on purpose), and now all of the pics from last
    > night I can view with no issues on the camera itself, but they wont
    > open with any of my photo programs (photoshop, windows photo
    > viewer..even paint!)... does anyone have any suggestions as to what
    > could be the problem
    > I have Windows XP Prof, Casio Exilim, Card Reader if anyone needs that
    > info. I dont currently have the wire to directly connect the camera so
    > I cannot test that at the moment
    >
    > Thank you for anyone's help in advance
    > Scott

    My Father in law had this happen to him recently, sorry to say he did not
    recover his images though.
    I would try a direct connection between your camera & pc if you can get hold
    of a cable.
    For future reference, this type of error seems to occur mostly with cards
    that are not Formatted regularly!
    Try making it a habit to Format the card on a regular basis, rather than
    using the delete function to erase your data. (if you don't already do so)
    My Father in law had this happen to him on 3 occasions, but since he started
    formatting his card, instead of deleting the data, he has not had any more
    problems!
    Sorry I can't help with your immediate problem, but you should at least be
    able to minimise the chances of it happening again!
    ATB
    Mick
    Mick Harris, Jul 17, 2006
  16. Ratedr wrote:
    > Dennis, Im not sure what you are talking about. I can see F:\
    > Removable drive, and I can open that and all of the thumbnails before
    > yesterday come up and I can see the pics,,,,but yesterdays just the
    > name comes up, and the jpeg logo (blue with some triangle, circle
    > something). What do you mean acquire them with graphics programs?
    > /
    >>
    >> Do you mean that Windows Explorer does not actually show the reader
    >> or the camera as an extra drive that can be opened and viewed in
    >> Paintshop or Photoshop? Can you "acquire" the drive by using either
    >> of the 2 graphics programs to access the card directly?

    Virtually all graphics programs have a FILE-ACQUIRE command which enables
    you to access the device without going through your device software program.
    However, it does sound to me that your problem is not in finding the files,
    but opening them, i.e. they seem to have become corrupted. Have the files
    lost their .jpg suffix? Set your Windows Explorer View-Details (if you have
    not already done so) to make sure the file extensions have not changed to
    something other than .jpg
    Dennis Pogson, Jul 18, 2006
  17. >>Every days photos are both visible on the camera as well as
    >>the computer..until last night. I didnt intentionally change any of
    >>the settings (what I mean is Im about 99.9% positive I didnt change
    >>them as I know I didnt on purpose), and now all of the pics from last
    >>night I can view with no issues on the camera itself, but they wont
    >>open with any of my photo programs

    I have written a program which, amongst other things, will analyse a
    (supposedly) jpeg file to parse out all the markers etc. If you could post
    one of the corrupt files either on the web or send it to me as a private
    email (keith.sheppard at tesco.net) then I will take a look and see if I can
    suss out what's wrong with it.

    Keith
    Keith Sheppard, Jul 18, 2006