    picking up). What can I do to fix this problem?

    Thanks,
    Chris

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgT3N0ZXI=?=, Oct 6, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgT3N0ZXI=?=

    mike Guest

    change channel

    mike

    "Chris Oster" <Chris > wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm running a NetGear DG834 router for my wireless network. My wireless

    card
    > is picking up the router fine, but every few minutes it drops the

    connection
    > and tells me there are other wireless networks available (there are 3

    other
    > networks in other places in my apartment building that my wireless card is
    > picking up). What can I do to fix this problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris

    ---

    mike, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Tried that...same problem. My laptop (running XP Pro) doesn't have this
    problem at all, even when the two are in the same room. What causes XP to
    just drop the connection completely? It's a pain in the rear end, especially
    because I can't download everything if I can only keep a network connection
    for five minutes at a time.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgT3N0ZXI=?=, Oct 8, 2004
  4. Did you ever get a reply other than from the guy that keeps suggesting
    "change channels"? I'm having the same problem and it's driving me nuts.
    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=, Oct 8, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgT3N0ZXI=?=

    mike Guest

    well what happened when you did change channel?
    the problem lies with signal strength i would suspect.
    how about trying one of the reflector adaptions that are on the net.

    mike

    "Sandy" <> wrote in message
    > Did you ever get a reply other than from the guy that keeps suggesting
    > "change channels"? I'm having the same problem and it's driving me nuts.
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Chris Oster" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm running a NetGear DG834 router for my wireless network. My wireless

    card
    > > is picking up the router fine, but every few minutes it drops the

    connection
    > > and tells me there are other wireless networks available (there are 3

    other
    > > networks in other places in my apartment building that my wireless card

    is
    > > picking up). What can I do to fix this problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Chris

    ---

    mike, Oct 8, 2004
  6. Mike - No difference moving to channel 1 from channel 6. Funny thing is,
    problem only came up last night (I've been on wireless for over 1 year). My
    son who's away at university and has a wireless router setup in his dorm room
    called last night and asked if I knew what was wrong because coincidentally
    he just had the exact same issue come up yesterday. His situation might be a
    little different as I'm sure there are numerous wireless routers in his
    residence, but what a coincidence that his problem comes up the same day as I
    encounter it at home (he's 300 miles away).

    Thanks for your response. ...Sandy

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=, Oct 8, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgT3N0ZXI=?=

    mike Guest

    not this poxy SP2 for winxp is it?
    causing alot of grief with wireless stuff.
    mike

    "Sandy" <> wrote in message
    > Mike - No difference moving to channel 1 from channel 6. Funny thing is,
    > problem only came up last night (I've been on wireless for over 1 year).

    My
    > son who's away at university and has a wireless router setup in his dorm

    room
    > called last night and asked if I knew what was wrong because

    coincidentally
    > he just had the exact same issue come up yesterday. His situation might be

    > little different as I'm sure there are numerous wireless routers in his
    > residence, but what a coincidence that his problem comes up the same day

    as I
    > encounter it at home (he's 300 miles away).
    >
    > Thanks for your response. ...Sandy
    >
    > "mike" wrote:
    >
    > > well what happened when you did change channel?
    > > the problem lies with signal strength i would suspect.
    > > how about trying one of the reflector adaptions that are on the net.
    > >
    > > mike
    > >
    > > "Sandy" <> wrote in message
    > > > Did you ever get a reply other than from the guy that keeps suggesting
    > > > "change channels"? I'm having the same problem and it's driving me

    nuts.
    > > > Thanks

    wireless
    > > card

    > > connection

    3
    > > other

    card
    > > is

    > > ---

    ---

    mike, Oct 9, 2004
  8. Nope...don't have SP2. I did manage to figure it out, though...I had the
    Windows firewall turned on for this connection. Turn off the firewall, and
    the connection is totally solid. Haven't had any problems since then.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgT3N0ZXI=?=, Oct 9, 2004
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgT3N0ZXI=?=

    mike Guest

    that's nice, well enter the details of the ip in the trusted zones or WHY
    see if that works.

    mike

    ---

    mike, Oct 9, 2004
  10. Dumb question - how do I turn off Windows firewall?

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=, Oct 9, 2004