    resources for making a comparison?

    Any help will be greatly appreciated?

    Joe

    Joe, Jun 14, 2004

  2. Joe

    jaja Guest

    Try http://www.steves-digicams.com/
    jojo

    jaja, Jun 14, 2004

  3. Joe

    Jeff Durham Guest

    Visit http://www.dpreview.com

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Jun 14, 2004
  4. Joe

    Ron Risman Guest

    Hi Joe,

    I happen to love cameras with strong zoom lenses. They allow you to frame a
    shot with much more versatility than a camera with a smaller zoom lens not
    to mention pulling in subjects for tighter closeups. From the information
    I've read it seems that Minolta's Z2 is getting a lot of favorable reviews.
    It features 4 megapixels, great macro mode, a strong 38-380mm zoom lens and
    fast startup times. Of course, if you ask 5 different people you'll most
    likely get at least 2 or 3 different responses. Other cameras worth looking
    at are the new Canon Powershot S1 IS (image stabilized zoom), Olympus C-765
    and the Fuji S5000.

    The Canon Powershot S1 IS features image stablization and a 3.4 Megapixel
    image sensor. The Minolta Z2 offers higher resolution (4 MP vs. 3.4 MP),
    superior macro mode (1.2" vs 3.9"), and a SVGA Movie mode with sound
    (800x600). Just make sure you use a tripod or monopod if you plan to use
    the 10x zoom lens in lower lighting. This will help to reduce or eliminate
    camera shake. This is less of a concern with cameras that use image
    stabilization.

    Some reviews for you:

    Reviews for the Minolta Z2

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/z2.html
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/minolta/dimage_z2-review/index.shtml

    Reviews for the Canon Powershot S1 IS
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s1-review/index.shtml
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html
    http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/Canon_PowerShot_S1_IS/4505-6501_7-30732122-2.html
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S1IS/canon-powershot-s1-IS-A.HTM

    Olympus C-765 Review
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c765uz.html
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/c765uz_770uz-review/index.shtml

    I hope this information was helpful.

    Ron Risman
    Webmaster
    http://www.cameratown.com

    Ron Risman, Jun 14, 2004
  5. Joe

    John Briggs Guest

    Hi Joe & Ron,

    Panasonic DMC FZ10 is also worth a look. It has a 12x optical zoom (35 to
    420mm), image stabilizer (IS - almost essential for these long zooms, unless
    you use a tripod) and 4 megapixels. It also has a fast lens - holding f2.8
    throughout the entire zoom range. Macro is 5cm, I think. It's built like a
    tank but actually quite light. I think the Olympus is smallest (and
    lightest?) but it doesn't have IS.

    John

    John Briggs, Jun 14, 2004
  6. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thank you for your responces.

    Great resources for reviews, as well as a few cameras to look at.

    Joe

    Joe, Jun 16, 2004
  7. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Panasonic DMC-FZ10K and Canon PowerShot S1 IS

    I have been looking at stat sheets for a few days. Without really
    knowing what the he!! I am doing it does seem that image stabilization
    is a worthy feature and worth the premium and I am pretty much
    settling on these 2 camera. I read the message string that was posted
    in the past on these cameras.

    There is about $100.00 difference in price. Is the Panasonic worth the
    $100.00 premium for the extra megapixal and the Lieca lens?

    Any other comparison features that stand out?

    Most of the reviews were positive. I did read one that was negative on
    the picture quality of the Canon, anyone else find that to be the
    case?

    I have not handled the Panasonic but a local Staples had the Canon. It
    appeared to be a well made piece of equipment.

    I am thinking of purchasing from this on-line business, about $100.00
    less than retail, anyone ever deal with them?
    http://www.digitaletailer.com

    Any points to think about or additional factors to consider would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks

    Joe, Jun 18, 2004