Picassa ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Al Dykes, Feb 15, 2006.

  1. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    Does anoyone know of a book on Google's Picassa picture picture
    organizer ?

    Picassa looks interesting. I installed it and let it index the
    thousands on images on my hard disks. It did a nice job, even with
    Canon RAW files.

    It looks like it can do lots, but I'll pay a few bucks for a book
    rather that do it by trial and error.

    http://picasa.google.com/index.html (free)

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Al Dykes, Feb 15, 2006

  2. Al Dykes

    Guest

    , Feb 15, 2006

  3. Al Dykes

    Julian Tan Guest

    Hi Al,

    Picasa is very good software - I love it because it's very fast and you
    can browse through your collection quickly. It even allows you to do
    simple tasks such as resizing, cropping, fixing colour cast without
    starting up photoshop. The beauty of it is, that changes made to your
    images are saved as metadata and do not overwrite your image files. So
    you can undo changes at any time, and not worry about keeping lots of
    backup copies of your files, which is kinda cool.

    So don't be afraid to experiment...

    Jules
    http://www.shuttertalk.com
    The friendliest digital photography forums on the net!

    Julian Tan, Feb 16, 2006
  4. Al Dykes

    Matt Ion Guest

    Julian Tan wrote:
    > Hi Al,
    >
    > Picasa is very good software - I love it because it's very fast and you
    > can browse through your collection quickly. It even allows you to do
    > simple tasks such as resizing, cropping, fixing colour cast without
    > starting up photoshop. The beauty of it is, that changes made to your
    > images are saved as metadata and do not overwrite your image files. So
    > you can undo changes at any time, and not worry about keeping lots of
    > backup copies of your files, which is kinda cool.
    >
    > So don't be afraid to experiment...
    >
    > Jules
    > http://www.shuttertalk.com
    > The friendliest digital photography forums on the net!

    Actually, the one drawback I've seen with it is that it DOESN'T resize.
    It will allow you to export a copy of your edited picture at one of a
    few pre-defined resolutions (800x600, 1024x768, etc.) but that's about it.

    Everything else, though, it does very well - personally I especially
    like its image-rotate feature, and its auto-correction functions are
    exceptional.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0607-1, 02/14/2006
    Tested on: 2/15/2006 10:15:13 PM

    Matt Ion, Feb 16, 2006
  5. Al Dykes

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Matt Ion" <> wrote in message
    > Julian Tan wrote:
    >> Hi Al,
    >>
    >> Picasa is very good software - I love it because it's very fast and you
    >> can browse through your collection quickly. It even allows you to do
    >> simple tasks such as resizing, cropping, fixing colour cast without
    >> starting up photoshop. The beauty of it is, that changes made to your
    >> images are saved as metadata and do not overwrite your image files. So
    >> you can undo changes at any time, and not worry about keeping lots of
    >> backup copies of your files, which is kinda cool.
    >>
    >> So don't be afraid to experiment...
    >>
    >> Jules
    >> http://www.shuttertalk.com
    >> The friendliest digital photography forums on the net!
    >>

    > Actually, the one drawback I've seen with it is that it DOESN'T resize. It
    > will allow you to export a copy of your edited picture at one of a few
    > pre-defined resolutions (800x600, 1024x768, etc.) but that's about it.
    >
    > Everything else, though, it does very well - personally I especially like
    > its image-rotate feature, and its auto-correction functions are
    > exceptional.
    >

    > ---
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0607-1, 02/14/2006
    > Tested on: 2/15/2006 10:15:13 PM

    I prefer FastStone, but Picasa isn't bad.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Feb 16, 2006
  6. Al Dykes

    Julian Tan Guest

    Hey Dave,

    I use both - I think they're geared towards different uses. Faststone
    is execllent for image viewing, batch operations etc. and picasa
    excellent for image management and quick fixes.

    Julian Tan, Feb 21, 2006