    its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
    eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.

    Eric

    bluezfolk, Sep 19, 2006

  2. bluezfolk wrote:

    > I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
    > I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
    > program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
    > its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
    > eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.
    >
    > Eric

    No, Picasa2 does not sharpen photos in a batch. You have to sharpen them
    one at a time. However, the automatic sharpening is quite good, and
    avoids getting into complications of sliders, radius, etc..

    Morton

    Morton Linder, Sep 20, 2006

  3. bluezfolk

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Picasa shows you a very low resolution preview until it can load the whole
    image in. The blurry picture you see will clear up in a couple of seconds.
    It is most likely because of the larger camera files.

    Don't ask me where the other guy got the idea about sharpening. It is clear
    he hasn't used Picasa.

    Hebee Jeebes, Sep 20, 2006
  4. bluezfolk wrote:
    > I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
    > I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
    > program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
    > its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
    > eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.

    Yes. Refining means that you have a very large image and Picasa is doing
    calculations to display it optimally.

    --
    - Barry

    Barry L. Wallis, Sep 20, 2006
  5. bluezfolk

    Roy G Guest

    "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in message
    > bluezfolk wrote:
    >> I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
    >> I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
    >> program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
    >> its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
    >> eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.

    > Yes. Refining means that you have a very large image and Picasa is doing
    > calculations to display it optimally.
    >
    > --
    > - Barry

    Hi.

    An image file from a 5Mp Camera can hardly be described as large.

    Open in RAM it will only be 15 Mb, even if it is opened as 16 bit per
    channel, it would still only be 30 Mb.

    100 Mb files are beginning to be large.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Sep 20, 2006
  6. bluezfolk

    POHB Guest

    Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    > Yes. Refining means that you have a very large image and Picasa is doing
    > calculations to display it optimally.

    If it is taking an irritatingly long time then you've probably got an
    old, slow PC. Or it is running a lot of other stuff at the same time.

    POHB, Sep 20, 2006
  7. bluezfolk

    Bill KB3GUN Guest

    "POHB" <> wrote in message
    > Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    >> Yes. Refining means that you have a very large image and Picasa is doing
    >> calculations to display it optimally.

    > If it is taking an irritatingly long time then you've probably got an
    > old, slow PC. Or it is running a lot of other stuff at the same time.

    Or Picassa is not a very efficient program at opening large images (it's not
    by the way). I use it to look for photos on my pc, but if I already know
    where they are, I use other programs to view.

    Bill KB3GUN, Sep 20, 2006
  8. bluezfolk

    -=Rob Guest

    Morton Linder schreef:
    > bluezfolk wrote:
    >
    >> I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
    >> I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
    >> program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
    >> its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
    >> eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.
    >>
    >> Eric
    >>

    > No, Picasa2 does not sharpen photos in a batch. You have to sharpen them
    > one at a time. However, the automatic sharpening is quite good, and
    > avoids getting into complications of sliders, radius, etc..
    >
    > Morton

    Picasa doesn't sharpen anything by default THANK GOD !!
    Where did you get this info from ????????

    It is the larger file why you see the label "Refining" in the photo.
    After a few seconds the whole file is read and PICASA let you see the
    complete picture at the sharpness in which the picture is taken.
    Nothing more, nothing less.

    -=Rob

    -=Rob, Sep 20, 2006
  9. bluezfolk

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    True but we don't know how much ram or what kind of system the person is
    running. The refining message is because his system is handling the files
    slower. Plain and simple.

    Hebee Jeebes, Sep 20, 2006
  10. bluezfolk

    Mike Henley Guest

    Morton Linder wrote:
    > bluezfolk wrote:
    >
    > > I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
    > > I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
    > > program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
    > > its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
    > > eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.
    > >
    > > Eric
    > >

    > No, Picasa2 does not sharpen photos in a batch. You have to sharpen them
    > one at a time. However, the automatic sharpening is quite good, and
    > avoids getting into complications of sliders, radius, etc..
    >
    > Morton

    The autocolor feature in Picassa is extremely, extremely good. I've not
    found anything that gives me as pleasing results.

    Mike Henley, Sep 20, 2006
  11. bluezfolk

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Roy G <> wrote:

    >"Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in message
    >> bluezfolk wrote:
    >>> I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
    >>> I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
    >>> program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
    >>> its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
    >>> eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.

    >> Yes. Refining means that you have a very large image and Picasa is doing
    >> calculations to display it optimally.
    >>
    >> --
    >> - Barry

    >Hi.

    >An image file from a 5Mp Camera can hardly be described as large.

    >Open in RAM it will only be 15 Mb, even if it is opened as 16 bit per
    >channel, it would still only be 30 Mb.

    >100 Mb files are beginning to be large.

    Doesn't matter. Barry is right. I have no idea how
    Picassa decides which images are "large", but it does.
    It first displays a low res image and then refines it.

    This is common behavior in photo programs so that the
    user does not have to stare at a blank screen while the
    picture loads.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Sep 21, 2006
  12. bluezfolk

    POHB Guest

    Bill KB3GUN wrote:
    > Or Picassa is not a very efficient program at opening large images (it's not
    > by the way). I use it to look for photos on my pc, but if I already know
    > where they are, I use other programs to view.

    I find it pretty quick compared to others I've tried. What do you use
    that's quicker?

    POHB, Sep 21, 2006
  13. bluezfolk

    JC Dill Guest

    Picassa has been removed from my computer after I discovered that
    there is no way to save an edited file over the original. I'm working
    with third-generation copies (the originals are RAW, then there are
    the jpeg proofs - I'm using a resized thumbnail set from the proofs)
    and I need to edit and save with the same filename in the same
    location. They think they are smarter than the user - that the user
    never will need to save over the original, so they refuse to put an
    option to do this in the settings. Well, that's stupid, that's a dumb
    UI, that's Google arrogance at its worst. Bye Picassa.

    jc

    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA

    JC Dill, Sep 21, 2006
  14. bluezfolk

    Matt Ion Guest

    Mike Henley wrote:
    > Morton Linder wrote:
    >
    >>bluezfolk wrote:
    >>

    >>> I've been using picassa for a while now with a 2MP Fuji camera.
    >>>I just switched to using a 5MP Canon. When I load pictures into the
    >>>program the photo has a label saying "refining", does that mean that
    >>>its taking much longer to load the larger files, and the picture will
    >>>eventually sharpen up? Never had that situation with 2MP shots.
    >>>
    >>> Eric
    >>>

    >>No, Picasa2 does not sharpen photos in a batch. You have to sharpen them
    >>one at a time. However, the automatic sharpening is quite good, and
    >>avoids getting into complications of sliders, radius, etc..
    >>
    >>Morton

    > The autocolor feature in Picassa is extremely, extremely good. I've not
    > found anything that gives me as pleasing results.

    I'll second that. It brought amazing detail out of a photo I shot from a plane
    once, more than I thought even possible.

    Matt Ion, Sep 25, 2006