Picasa

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Shore, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Google's front page there is a line

    Free! Manage and share your digital photographs. Download Picasa from
    Google.

    I've never used a photo manager, mainly because most of them want to
    take over and move your stuff around, store them in their own
    structure etc. I clicked on this link curious about Google's
    involvement. I'm still uncertain what they get out of it!

    The good thing was a couple of paragraphs on Picasa's www site home
    page..

    ===================================
    The download itself contains only the Picasa software. Picasa will not
    uninstall other programs or add any non-Picasa programs or files to
    your computer.

    Picasa works with the digital photo files on your PC to create a
    better, more organized viewing and editing experience. Picasa will not
    delete or move the location of pictures saved on your PC.
    ===================================

    So I thought i'd give it a try, after all it wasn't going to mess with
    my files or the structure so I could just bin it if it wasn't any
    good. I was actually quite suprised, it's very good, very well
    designed. Scrolling through your photos to find something is quick and
    easy.

    I guess the only thing Google must be pushing it for is perhaps a cut
    in the sales of photo developing which it makes it easy to do if you
    live in the USA.

    It's well worth downloading if you have a digital camera.

    Craig Shore, Jul 19, 2004

  2. Craig Shore

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Google's front page there is a line
    >
    > Free! Manage and share your digital photographs. Download Picasa from
    > Google.
    >
    > I've never used a photo manager, mainly because most of them want to
    > take over and move your stuff around, store them in their own
    > structure etc. I clicked on this link curious about Google's
    > involvement. I'm still uncertain what they get out of it!
    >
    > The good thing was a couple of paragraphs on Picasa's www site home
    > page..
    >
    > ===================================
    > The download itself contains only the Picasa software. Picasa will not
    > uninstall other programs or add any non-Picasa programs or files to
    > your computer.
    >
    > Picasa works with the digital photo files on your PC to create a
    > better, more organized viewing and editing experience. Picasa will not
    > delete or move the location of pictures saved on your PC.
    > ===================================
    >
    > So I thought i'd give it a try, after all it wasn't going to mess with
    > my files or the structure so I could just bin it if it wasn't any
    > good. I was actually quite suprised, it's very good, very well
    > designed. Scrolling through your photos to find something is quick and
    > easy.
    >
    > I guess the only thing Google must be pushing it for is perhaps a cut
    > in the sales of photo developing which it makes it easy to do if you
    > live in the USA.
    >
    > It's well worth downloading if you have a digital camera.

    Thanks. I saw that last time I used Google and wondered about it. I might
    try it.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 19, 2004

  3. Craig Shore

    GraB Guest

    Google acquires Picasa

    http://www.google.com/intl/et/press/pressrel/picasa.html

    GraB, Jul 19, 2004
  4. Craig Shore <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Google's front page there is a line
    >
    > Free! Manage and share your digital photographs. Download Picasa from
    > Google.
    >
    > I've never used a photo manager, mainly because most of them want to
    > take over and move your stuff around, store them in their own
    > structure etc. I clicked on this link curious about Google's
    > involvement. I'm still uncertain what they get out of it!

    Google recently purchased Picasa and is now giving the software away
    free

    Microsoft Digital Imaging Pro does everything Picasa does and more...
    (and Picasa is free for 15 days only)

    I look forward to this coming out from Microsoft Research
    http://news.search.com/search?q="future of digital photo display"

    Cheers
    Nathn

    Nathan Mercer, Jul 19, 2004
  5. Craig Shore

    colinco Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Google recently purchased Picasa and is now giving the software away
    > free

    Correct (at least for version 1.6, there is a ver 2 that now seems
    delayed)

    > Microsoft Digital Imaging Pro does everything Picasa does and more...
    > (and Picasa is free for 15 days only)

    The 15 day trial was available when you had to pay for ver 1.6. There is
    no mention now of trial period.

    "Microsoft Digital Imaging Pro does everything Picasa does and more..."
    And so it should, it's standing on the dead bodies of several other MS
    attempts. Photo Draw, Picture It

    colinco, Jul 19, 2004
  6. Craig Shore

    Brett Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 00:19:28 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >> On Google's front page there is a line
    >>
    >> Free! Manage and share your digital photographs. Download Picasa from
    >> Google.
    >>
    >> I've never used a photo manager, mainly because most of them want to
    >> take over and move your stuff around, store them in their own
    >> structure etc. I clicked on this link curious about Google's
    >> involvement. I'm still uncertain what they get out of it!
    >>
    >> The good thing was a couple of paragraphs on Picasa's www site home
    >> page..
    >>
    >> ===================================
    >> The download itself contains only the Picasa software. Picasa will not
    >> uninstall other programs or add any non-Picasa programs or files to
    >> your computer.
    >>
    >> Picasa works with the digital photo files on your PC to create a
    >> better, more organized viewing and editing experience. Picasa will not
    >> delete or move the location of pictures saved on your PC.
    >> ===================================
    >>
    >> So I thought i'd give it a try, after all it wasn't going to mess with
    >> my files or the structure so I could just bin it if it wasn't any
    >> good. I was actually quite suprised, it's very good, very well
    >> designed. Scrolling through your photos to find something is quick and
    >> easy.
    >>
    >> I guess the only thing Google must be pushing it for is perhaps a cut
    >> in the sales of photo developing which it makes it easy to do if you
    >> live in the USA.
    >>
    >> It's well worth downloading if you have a digital camera.

    >Thanks. I saw that last time I used Google and wondered about it. I might
    >try it.

    I see orcon is also going to get into the Photo shareing seen.
    http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/onlineservices/photos/

    Brett

    Brett, Jul 20, 2004
  7. Craig Shore

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:15:36 +1200, colinco <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Google recently purchased Picasa and is now giving the software away
    >> free

    >Correct (at least for version 1.6, there is a ver 2 that now seems
    >delayed)
    >
    >> Microsoft Digital Imaging Pro does everything Picasa does and more...
    >> (and Picasa is free for 15 days only)
    >>

    >The 15 day trial was available when you had to pay for ver 1.6. There is
    >no mention now of trial period.
    >
    >"Microsoft Digital Imaging Pro does everything Picasa does and more..."
    >And so it should, it's standing on the dead bodies of several other MS
    >attempts. Photo Draw, Picture It

    Picasa is free. http://www.webfroot.co.nz/index.php?p=1135

    Now that I have tried it I find that when thumbnailing your picture
    collection it uses a heap of disc space. I have thousands of pics
    from TV card and DVD captures, etc, and ACDSee thumbnails them all in
    under 50Mb data file where Picasa went over double that with only a
    quarter or so done. In ACDSee you can set the compression for
    thumbnails to reduce space but there is no option in Picasa. Also I
    couldn't find a way to display pictures full screen without going in
    to slide show mode, as I can with ACDSee. When you have 1024 x 768
    high quality captures it is nice to see them full screen instead of in
    a little window.

    GraB, Jul 20, 2004
  8. Craig Shore

    DonB Guest

    Picasa is really pretty basic.
    Also it has a horrible on-screen slightly fuzzy look.
    DonB

    DonB, Jul 20, 2004
  9. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On 19 Jul 2004 07:41:20 -0700, (Nathan Mercer) wrote:

    >Craig Shore <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> On Google's front page there is a line
    >>
    >> Free! Manage and share your digital photographs. Download Picasa from
    >> Google.
    >>
    >> I've never used a photo manager, mainly because most of them want to
    >> take over and move your stuff around, store them in their own
    >> structure etc. I clicked on this link curious about Google's
    >> involvement. I'm still uncertain what they get out of it!

    >Google recently purchased Picasa and is now giving the software away
    >free
    >
    >Microsoft Digital Imaging Pro does everything Picasa does and more...
    >(and Picasa is free for 15 days only)

    Picasa is free. MS Digital Imaging Pro is US$99 (NZ$150)

    Craig Shore, Jul 20, 2004
  10. Craig Shore

    K T T Guest

    I knew there had to be a catch. From their Terms and Conditions:

    "License Granted
    User grants Picasa a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable,
    royalty-free, sublicensable right to exercise the copyright and
    publicity rights User has in Registration Information provided to Picasa
    by User, in any media whether now known or hereafter to become known.
    Picasa will only use Registration Information in accordance with its
    Privacy Policy.
    Picasa claims no ownership rights in any image submitted in connection
    with the printing services provided through the Software Products and
    Services. User understands, however, that when images are shared with
    others, recipients are then able to further share, modify, alter and/or
    print those images. For the sole purpose of fulfilling printing orders
    you or your recipients place, User grants Picasa a non-exclusive,
    worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free license to use, copy and distribute
    those images."

    A great way for Google to own millions of pics from all over the world.

    K T T, Jul 20, 2004
  11. Craig Shore

    paora Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:21:53 GMT, (DonB) wrote:

    >Picasa is really pretty basic.
    >Also it has a horrible on-screen slightly fuzzy look.
    >DonB

    I was wondering whether the 3.6MB file was gonna yield a decent
    program or just some bloated piece of crap.

    paora, Jul 20, 2004
  12. Craig Shore

    DonB Guest

    It's ok for mum and dad who want to store their pics, and email to
    aunty, but for anything more it does only a fraction that Irfanview
    will do.
    DonB

    DonB, Jul 20, 2004
  13. In article <KchLc.2765$>, "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> was seen to type:
    >K T T wrote:

    >> A great way for Google to own millions of pics from all over the
    >> world.

    >Not true. Two qualifiers:
    >
    >"Picasa claims no ownership rights in any image etc."
    >
    >and:
    >
    >"For the sole purpose of fulfilling printing orders you or your recipients
    >place etc."
    >
    >By stating that the licence granted to them solely for this purpose they
    >cannot legally use these pictures for anything else, therefore they do not
    >"own" the pics by any stretch of the imagination. Sounds more like they are
    >trying to cover their ass copyright-wise than own your family's holiday
    >snapshots.

    I note that that was xtra's excuse too. :)

    Bruce

    In short, what people think they want is news, but what they really crave
    is olds.
    Lord Vetinari, ¨The Truth¨ Terry Pratchet

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 20, 2004
  14. Craig Shore

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Nik Coughin, Jul 20, 2004
  15. Craig Shore

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <KchLc.2765$>, "Nik Coughin"
    > <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> was seen to type:
    >> K T T wrote:

    >>> A great way for Google to own millions of pics from all over the
    >>> world.

    >> Sounds more like they are trying to cover their ass copyright-wise
    >> than own your family's holiday snapshots.

    > I note that that was xtra's excuse too. :)

    Haha, what did Xtra try and pull that one with?

    Nik Coughin, Jul 21, 2004
  16. In article <xOiLc.2803$>, "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> was seen to type:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <KchLc.2765$>, "Nik Coughin"
    >> <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> was seen to type:

    >>> Sounds more like they are trying to cover their ass copyright-wise
    >>> than own your family's holiday snapshots.

    >> I note that that was xtra's excuse too. :)
    >>

    >Haha, what did Xtra try and pull that one with?

    Their terms and conditions IIRC ... so everything :) There was
    considerable stink about it at the time as I remember. last year some
    time ?

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 21, 2004
  17. Nathan Mercer, Jul 21, 2004