    shots (nef), that shows them looking like the accompanying jpegs, that will
    open the thumbnail with nikon view and ps elements3 too if you'd like?
    Appreciate any help.
    larrylook, Jun 25, 2005

  2. larrylook

    Frank ess Guest

    larrylook wrote:
    > I own D70 and when I shoot in raw and jpeg, and open up with picasa,
    > the raw look totally different from the jpeg and generally looks
    > wrong. I guess picasa gets the wb and exposure all wrong - so I'll
    > have to live with this.
    > I'd like to be able to open the raw displayed in picasa with nikon
    > view, but when I right click and select "open with", theres only a
    > vew choices and nikon view isnt there! How do I get more choices -
    > or do I have to go to windows explorer and view raw files there (
    > and
    > I only get a tiny thumbnail of raw file there).
    >
    > What thumbnail viewer do people out there think is best for perusing
    > raw shots (nef), that shows them looking like the accompanying
    > jpegs,
    > that will open the thumbnail with nikon view and ps elements3 too if
    > you'd like? Appreciate any help.

    Irfanview seems to display the NEF files I have (from a CP8700) the
    way they come from the camera, which is, not surprisingly, raw, and
    not much like processed files such as JPEG. What you see is what the
    camera puts out.

    PS CS2 Bridge, on the other hand, makes some choices for you, and
    displays something more like what your eye might have seen at the time
    of the photo. If you turn off the ability of Bridge to make choices
    (can you do that?) the display would likely be more like what
    Irfanview shows. Once an NEF file is opened in PS CS, you can
    neutralize the processing and get what looks like a kind of monochrome
    in sepia.

    What Picasa does is show what is in the NEF and JPEG files.
    Unprocessed v. Processed.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Jun 25, 2005

  3. larrylook

    John Bean Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 09:27:57 -0700, "Frank ess"
    <> wrote:
    >PS CS2 Bridge, on the other hand, makes some choices for you, and
    >displays something more like what your eye might have seen at the time
    >of the photo. If you turn off the ability of Bridge to make choices
    >(can you do that?) the display would likely be more like what
    >Irfanview shows.

    Not really. Bridge displays them exactly as they will look
    when opened in ACR. If you change anything in ACR the
    preview in Bridge will be updated to reflect it. ACR has
    "auto" settings for those who may choose to use them, Bridge
    makes no adjustments itself. None.

    --
    Regards

    John Bean
    John Bean, Jun 25, 2005
  4. larrylook

    Frank ess Guest

    John Bean wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 09:27:57 -0700, "Frank ess"
    > <> wrote:
    >> PS CS2 Bridge, on the other hand, makes some choices for you, and
    >> displays something more like what your eye might have seen at the
    >> time of the photo. If you turn off the ability of Bridge to make
    >> choices (can you do that?) the display would likely be more like
    >> what
    >> Irfanview shows.

    > Not really. Bridge displays them exactly as they will look
    > when opened in ACR. If you change anything in ACR the
    > preview in Bridge will be updated to reflect it. ACR has
    > "auto" settings for those who may choose to use them, Bridge
    > makes no adjustments itself. None.

    OK.
    Frank ess, Jun 25, 2005
  5. larrylook

    Mick Brown Guest

    "larrylook" <> wrote in

    > I own D70 and when I shoot in raw and jpeg, and open up with picasa,
    > the raw look totally different from the jpeg and generally looks
    > wrong. I guess picasa gets the wb and exposure all wrong - so I'll
    > have to live with this.
    >
    > I'd like to be able to open the raw displayed in picasa with nikon
    > view, but when I right click and select "open with", theres only a vew
    > choices and nikon view isnt there! How do I get more choices - or do
    > I have to go to windows explorer and view raw files there ( and I only
    > get a tiny thumbnail of raw file there).
    >
    > What thumbnail viewer do people out there think is best for perusing
    > raw shots (nef), that shows them looking like the accompanying jpegs,
    > that will open the thumbnail with nikon view and ps elements3 too if
    > you'd like? Appreciate any help.

    Did you load picassa after nikon view?

    If so, ry reloading nikon view, you may then get the options.

    Mick Brown
    www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown
    Mick Brown, Jun 26, 2005