    Newish (2004) Dell Dimension 8400, 1GB RAM, WinXP Pro SP2 and autopatches.

    Any suggestions to improve the situation?

    Philip
    Philip, Jan 19, 2006

  2. Philip

    Max Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    news:43cf40fc$...
    > Using Picasa2 to sort & index about 8000 pictures.
    >
    > It refuses to run if Adobe Pagemaker is loaded, and even when it's not,
    > runs slowly and crashes like buggery at moments of its choosing.
    >
    > Newish (2004) Dell Dimension 8400, 1GB RAM, WinXP Pro SP2 and autopatches.
    >
    > Any suggestions to improve the situation?
    >
    > Philip

    Possibly all the auto patches. I found my new dell runs like a dog since I
    download all the windows updates. Removing them, and it runs alot better for
    me.
    Max, Jan 19, 2006

  3. Philip

    Bok Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Using Picasa2 to sort & index about 8000 pictures.
    >
    > It refuses to run if Adobe Pagemaker is loaded, and even when it's not,
    > runs slowly and crashes like buggery at moments of its choosing.
    >
    > Newish (2004) Dell Dimension 8400, 1GB RAM, WinXP Pro SP2 and autopatches.
    >
    > Any suggestions to improve the situation?

    I don't use that application myself. However, given that it crashes when
    sorting and indexing, one possibility that occurred to me is the app
    might be using a memory bound sort algorithm i.e. the data structures
    used for sorting and indexing don't scale beyond virtual memory limits.
    8000 pictures isn't a lot if you are just indexing by file name or
    similar, so another possibility is it has a memory leak (just guessing
    here).

    In either case, the crashes could be a result of failed memory
    allocations that the application is not handling gracefully. You can use
    task manage to investigate this possibility.

    1) On the Performance tab check the value of Commit Charge Limit. With
    1GB RAM and an adequately sized page file, this should be > 2,000,000 K
    (2GB), call that value A.

    2) Next go to the process tab of task manager, Menu: View -> 'select
    columns' and add 'Virtual Memory Size'. While picaso2 is running the
    type of job that results in a crash look at the value of VM size. If
    that value is approaching the smaller of 2,000,000K (2GB) or value A
    from step 1) the app is in danger of crashing due to unhandled memory
    allocation failures. 2GB is the upper limit for 32bit application on XP
    with standard boot options (but physical RAM (1GB) and page file size
    may impose a lower limit - that's value A).

    That might not be the problem, but it could be worth checking. Have you
    looked for reported bugs? Do you get any exception information when the
    app crashes or just the usual "do you want to send this shit" to
    Microsoft Dialog ???
    Bok, Jan 19, 2006
  4. Philip

    Bok Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Using Picasa2 to sort & index about 8000 pictures.
    >
    > It refuses to run if Adobe Pagemaker is loaded, and even when it's not,
    > runs slowly and crashes like buggery at moments of its choosing.

    Further to my prior post, the running slowly bit was also a hint to me
    that the app might be thrashing. On the performance tab of task manager,
    check the Total Commit Charge (K) value. If that number is larger than
    1,048,576 (1GB), then the O/S will be paging given the machine has 1GB
    RAM. Also check Commit Charge peak to see if it has exceeded 1GB in the
    session.
    Bok, Jan 19, 2006
  5. Philip

    Rob J Guest

    In article <43cf4f1f$>, lid says...
    > Philip wrote:
    > > Using Picasa2 to sort & index about 8000 pictures.
    > >
    > > It refuses to run if Adobe Pagemaker is loaded, and even when it's not,
    > > runs slowly and crashes like buggery at moments of its choosing.
    > >
    > > Newish (2004) Dell Dimension 8400, 1GB RAM, WinXP Pro SP2 and autopatches.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions to improve the situation?
    > >

    > I don't use that application myself. However, given that it crashes when
    > sorting and indexing, one possibility that occurred to me is the app
    > might be using a memory bound sort algorithm i.e. the data structures
    > used for sorting and indexing don't scale beyond virtual memory limits.
    > 8000 pictures isn't a lot if you are just indexing by file name or
    > similar, so another possibility is it has a memory leak (just guessing
    > here).
    >
    > In either case, the crashes could be a result of failed memory
    > allocations that the application is not handling gracefully. You can use
    > task manage to investigate this possibility.
    >
    > 1) On the Performance tab check the value of Commit Charge Limit. With
    > 1GB RAM and an adequately sized page file, this should be > 2,000,000 K
    > (2GB), call that value A.
    >
    > 2) Next go to the process tab of task manager, Menu: View -> 'select
    > columns' and add 'Virtual Memory Size'. While picaso2 is running the
    > type of job that results in a crash look at the value of VM size. If
    > that value is approaching the smaller of 2,000,000K (2GB) or value A
    > from step 1) the app is in danger of crashing due to unhandled memory
    > allocation failures. 2GB is the upper limit for 32bit application on XP
    > with standard boot options (but physical RAM (1GB) and page file size
    > may impose a lower limit - that's value A).
    >
    > That might not be the problem, but it could be worth checking. Have you
    > looked for reported bugs? Do you get any exception information when the
    > app crashes or just the usual "do you want to send this shit" to
    > Microsoft Dialog ???

    Picasa is an ActiveX component that runs in an Internet Explorer context
    (as far as I recall)

    I prefer to use IrfanView for all my image processing. I have however
    not tried any software with such a large number of images.
    Rob J, Jan 19, 2006
  6. Philip

    steve Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > Using Picasa2 to sort & index about 8000 pictures.
    >
    > It refuses to run if Adobe Pagemaker is loaded, and even when it's not,
    > runs slowly and crashes like buggery at moments of its choosing.
    >
    > Newish (2004) Dell Dimension 8400, 1GB RAM, WinXP Pro SP2 and autopatches.
    >
    > Any suggestions to improve the situation?
    >
    > Philip

    Your description matches the way it runs on Linux via WINE.

    I thought maybe it was WINE....but sounds like it's actually Picasa2.
    steve, Jan 19, 2006
  7. Philip

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > Picasa is an ActiveX component that runs in an Internet Explorer context
    > (as far as I recall)

    What on earth makes you think that?

    > I prefer to use IrfanView for all my image processing. I have however
    > not tried any software with such a large number of images.

    No comparison - I use Irfanview a lot, but Picasa is totally different
    and better for managing large image collections (well - it is on my old
    PC). Irfanview only permits image management on a per directory basis,
    whereas Picasa can access and manage all your local images no matter
    where they are located. Few image editors can do this.

    Picasa does some quite neat quick and easy to use editing but doesn't
    know (or even respect) IPTC data which makes it less useful than it
    might be.

    The whizzy interface is great for turning newcomers to digital
    photography onto editing, making CDs, slideshows and the like.
    -=rjh=-, Jan 19, 2006
  8. Philip

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <43cf40fc$>, says...
    > Using Picasa2 to sort & index about 8000 pictures.
    >
    > It refuses to run if Adobe Pagemaker is loaded, and even when it's not,
    > runs slowly and crashes like buggery at moments of its choosing.
    >
    > Newish (2004) Dell Dimension 8400, 1GB RAM, WinXP Pro SP2 and autopatches.
    >
    > Any suggestions to improve the situation?

    Check your swap file - try setting it to 1536/1536 (1.5 x RAM) - and as
    indicated, both Initial and Max sizes the same (stop fragmention of it).

    You might want to try an even higher value. Watch the mem usage w' Task
    Manager as Picasa does it's thing.

    And in Picasa, you could try changes the indexing settings for the
    folders yer "watching". Perhaps try settings some or all of the folders
    to manual, and manually update them only. Dunno how that'll go, but it's
    worth playing with those settings, namely: Tools, Folder Manager - and
    those settings on the right side to perhaps Scan Once - as opposed to
    watching (Scan Always).

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Jan 19, 2006
  9. Philip

    Max Burke Guest

    > Philip scribbled:
    > Using Picasa2 to sort & index about 8000 pictures.
    > It refuses to run if Adobe Pagemaker is loaded, and even when it's
    > not, runs slowly and crashes like buggery at moments of its choosing.
    > Newish (2004) Dell Dimension 8400, 1GB RAM, WinXP Pro SP2 and
    > autopatches.

    > Any suggestions to improve the situation?

    Same experience with me (for the two times I have seriously tried it) It
    randomly crashed when updating/cataloging or viewing files and often
    reported that a (randomly picked) file was corrupted/unreadable.
    Viewing the file in several other applications (adobe photo shop album,
    photoshop elements, paint shop pro, IrFan View) showed and catalogued the
    supposedly corrupt file fine but Picasa still insisted the file was
    corrupted/unreadable and crashed....
    It would even crash when trying to view the backup of that file stored on
    the on the USB2 external HDD and CD Rom.
    Stopping it and restarting it would crash again with a different file....

    If it worked properly I would be using it as my main image cataloging
    programme because it's fast as has a lot of good cataloging options I could
    use. I have 30,000+ digital photo images cataloged since 1998 with adobe
    photoshop album at the moment.

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Jan 20, 2006
  10. Philip

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:25:52 +1300, Philip <>
    wrote:

    >Using Picasa2 to sort & index about 8000 pictures.
    >
    >It refuses to run if Adobe Pagemaker is loaded, and even when it's not,
    >runs slowly and crashes like buggery at moments of its choosing.
    >
    >Newish (2004) Dell Dimension 8400, 1GB RAM, WinXP Pro SP2 and autopatches.
    >
    >Any suggestions to improve the situation?
    >
    >Philip

    Change of topic sort of, I upload all my camera p[ics and I am sure I
    was able to create new files, eg one for each individual cat using
    drag and drop, for the life of me I cant recall how tro do it, can you
    help???
    Squirrel, Jan 20, 2006
  11. Philip

    Squirrel Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:14:25 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Rob J wrote:
    >> Picasa is an ActiveX component that runs in an Internet Explorer context
    >> (as far as I recall)
    >>

    >What on earth makes you think that?
    >
    >> I prefer to use IrfanView for all my image processing. I have however
    >> not tried any software with such a large number of images.

    >No comparison - I use Irfanview a lot, but Picasa is totally different
    >and better for managing large image collections (well - it is on my old
    >PC). Irfanview only permits image management on a per directory basis,
    >whereas Picasa can access and manage all your local images no matter
    >where they are located. Few image editors can do this.
    >
    >Picasa does some quite neat quick and easy to use editing but doesn't
    >know (or even respect) IPTC data which makes it less useful than it
    >might be.
    >
    >The whizzy interface is great for turning newcomers to digital
    >photography onto editing, making CDs, slideshows and the like.

    you do mean Picasa2 dont you?
    Squirrel, Jan 20, 2006
  12. Philip

    stevesub Guest

    I used to use Irfanview, great program, found Picasa2, good, then found
    Fastone, best of all. I have approx 20,000 photos and have no problems
    at all with Fastone and can also do minor editing similar to Picasa2.

    Stevesub
    stevesub, Jan 21, 2006
  13. Philip

    SteveM Guest

    "stevesub" <> wrote in news:1137835969.935652.286030
    @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Fastone

    Looks good, but is spelt Faststone (for all other interested)
    http://www.faststone.org/

    SteveM
    SteveM, Jan 21, 2006