    if the picture quality is lessened.
    Thanks!
    Chas
    SchnauzerDad, Dec 14, 2003

  2. SchnauzerDad

    Paul Heslop Guest

    SchnauzerDad wrote:

    > Hello group,
    > I just got an Olympus C-5060 having given my daughter my Kodak DC-210 which
    > I loved.
    > The new camera offers many modes of compression, and I was curious about
    > 'how much picture" I need to take for normal snapshot usage. The normal size
    > pic seems quite big, and much bigger than the 800x600 setting my computer is
    > set at. I am sure I will be printing more pix from this camera than the
    > previous one, but I don't know if I need the highest resolution eating up
    > the memory all the time.
    > In addition, the manual, (which I haven't finished 'reading') doesn't seem
    > clear if the digital movie mode will change the amount of seconds available
    > if the picture quality is lessened.
    > Thanks!
    > Chas

    The lower the resolution the less quality in the image. You need the resolution
    for detail Just take a look at very low resolution images and see how blocky and
    crud they are.

    --
    Paul.
    to look at
    Paul Heslop, Dec 14, 2003

  3. SchnauzerDad

    SchnauzerDad Guest

    Paul, in other words, you are saying leave it at the highest setting and
    relax? The default pic size is something like 2300x1800, too big for the
    monitor, unless I zoom out. I guess that's not inherently bad?
    Chas
    SchnauzerDad, Dec 14, 2003
  4. SchnauzerDad

    Paul Heslop Guest

    SchnauzerDad wrote:

    > Paul, in other words, you are saying leave it at the highest setting and
    > relax? The default pic size is something like 2300x1800, too big for the
    > monitor, unless I zoom out. I guess that's not inherently bad?
    > Chas

    :O) You have a much higher res than me. It depends how you're viewing the
    files really. Apart from when I manipulate them, if I am just looking I use a
    file viewer which keeps them to screen size. MGI photosuite has one and there
    are many many others (I think XP has one built in.)
    But it is about personal choice. If you're going to print them out then I
    certainly would avoid shrinking them, whereas if you just want to post them
    online or look at them on the computer then you must choose a size which is
    comfortable for yourself and others. When you post on sites such as
    Shuttercity your sizes are vastly limited so i can use this to show you what
    I mean. This image was shrunk to fit their limits. When you look at it you'll
    see an option for image size. Choose 2x and see what happens. If I had posted
    it in a higher res there would be no obvious degrading, but you will see
    obvious pixels because I had to shrink the image to fit the format.

    http://shuttercity.com/ShowPhoto.cfm?PhotoID=68686

    Paul Heslop, Dec 15, 2003
  5. "SchnauzerDad" <> writes:

    > Paul, in other words, you are saying leave it at the highest setting and
    > relax? The default pic size is something like 2300x1800, too big for the
    > monitor, unless I zoom out. I guess that's not inherently bad?

    You never know when the picture you are taking will be good enough to print at
    12x18 or larger. For viewing on a monitor/web, you want to resize to a small
    size, but you want all of the pixels if you ever were going print.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Dec 15, 2003
  6. SchnauzerDad

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Michael Meissner wrote:

    > "SchnauzerDad" <> writes:
    >
    > > Paul, in other words, you are saying leave it at the highest setting and
    > > relax? The default pic size is something like 2300x1800, too big for the
    > > monitor, unless I zoom out. I guess that's not inherently bad?

    > You never know when the picture you are taking will be good enough to print at
    > 12x18 or larger. For viewing on a monitor/web, you want to resize to a small
    > size, but you want all of the pixels if you ever were going print.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Meissner
    > email:
    > http://www.the-meissners.org

    Thanks Michael. I thought nobody else was going to chip in there and its always
    better if there's more than one person to confirm things

    Paul Heslop, Dec 15, 2003
  7. SchnauzerDad

    Ron Hunter Guest

    SchnauzerDad wrote:
    > Paul, in other words, you are saying leave it at the highest setting and
    > relax? The default pic size is something like 2300x1800, too big for the
    > monitor, unless I zoom out. I guess that's not inherently bad?
    > Chas

    Chas,
    The point is that you can't go back. If you reduce the resolution in
    the camera, then you are stuck with that setting as the best you can do,
    and then if you find a really good picture you want to print at 8 x 10,
    you are not going to be happy with the quality. If you shoot at the
    best resolution, then you have more flexibility in size of print,
    cropping, etc. If you use a good program to display your pictures, it
    will reduce the size to display it in the window you have set. If you
    are using a PC, check out Irfanview.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 15, 2003
  8. SchnauzerDad

    Steve Guest

    The lowest resolution you will ever want to print at is 300dpi.
    That's what Walmart and the rest print at.
    300 x 6 inch wide print = 1800 pixels across.
    That's why you need to shoot at high res when the intention is to print.
    More is fine, less is not as good.

    Steve
    Sony DSC-P10

    Steve, Dec 15, 2003
  9. "Steve" <> writes:

    > The lowest resolution you will ever want to print at is 300dpi.

    I dunno, I've gotten great prints at 100 and 150 dpi (both on my home inkjet
    and commercially). I've even had 2 1600x1200 prints done at 18x24" at
    ezprints.com that came out stunning (~ 67dpi). Does ezprints.com upscale for
    the large prints? I would imagine so, but the upscaling is done by people with
    the pro level tools who do this day in and day out.

    I tend to think that the 300dpi issue is overblown by people who either use
    faulty equipment or go through life with an 8x loupe determined to prove that
    their camera is bigger and better than somebody elses.

    > That's what Walmart and the rest print at.

    The Fuji Frontier that most Walmarts use does print at 300dpi, but I believe
    the Norestu (spelling) machine Costco uses does things at a higher resolution
    (400dpi?).

    > 300 x 6 inch wide print = 1800 pixels across.
    > That's why you need to shoot at high res when the intention is to print.
    > More is fine, less is not as good.

    I would imagine if the dpi is not exactly what the machine is using whether it
    is larger or smaller, the picture is going to have to be resized. Any resizing
    can change the final output.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: