{PIC} Playing with Autopano and PTGui

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Father McKenzie, Mar 25, 2008.

  1. Father McKenzie, Mar 25, 2008

  2. Father McKenzie

    Guest

    On Mar 26, 9:17 am, Father McKenzie <> wrote:
    > Got to the lake just as the sun was setting, this is an 8 picture pano
    > using Autopano.
    > I tried it with PTGui but couldn't get the opposite shoreline straight
    > and PTG was putting a stright line through the rippled down the bottom
    > below the buoy.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2361312998/sizes/l/
    >
    > --
    > Father McKenziehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/

    Hey Fr - nice work, although I do think it wants a foreground
    element.. maybe a little row-boat..? Don't you keep one in your bag?

    I'm about to get into panoramas more over the next 6 months - i can
    feel it in my lenses.. And I really want to get the hang of them
    'stepped out' ones, just like the great man has demonstrated... (O:

    In PTGui, did you find the straightening thingies, (I think they are
    "T" control points..)? They have worked for me when things got a
    little bent, but it took me a while to work out how to use them. (Now
    that I know how to use them, I must have been pretty thick..)

    , Mar 26, 2008

  3. Father McKenzie

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:17:56 +1100, Father McKenzie wrote:

    > Got to the lake just as the sun was setting, this is an 8 picture pano
    > using Autopano.
    > I tried it with PTGui but couldn't get the opposite shoreline straight
    > and PTG was putting a stright line through the rippled down the bottom
    > below the buoy.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2361312998/sizes/l/

    FWIW - I have found that the pandora plug-in for GIMP does a pretty good,
    automated job on panoramas.

    ray, Mar 26, 2008

    Brendan Gillatt, Mar 26, 2008
  5. ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:17:56 +1100, Father McKenzie wrote:
    >
    >> Got to the lake just as the sun was setting, this is an 8 picture pano
    >> using Autopano.
    >> I tried it with PTGui but couldn't get the opposite shoreline straight
    >> and PTG was putting a stright line through the rippled down the bottom
    >> below the buoy.
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2361312998/sizes/l/

    > FWIW - I have found that the pandora plug-in for GIMP does a pretty good,
    > automated job on panoramas.

    Works well with hugin too.

    John Ferguson, Mar 27, 2008
  6. Father McKenzie

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 09:28:54 -0700, John Ferguson wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:17:56 +1100, Father McKenzie wrote:
    >>
    >>> Got to the lake just as the sun was setting, this is an 8 picture pano
    >>> using Autopano.
    >>> I tried it with PTGui but couldn't get the opposite shoreline straight
    >>> and PTG was putting a stright line through the rippled down the bottom
    >>> below the buoy.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2361312998/sizes/l/

    >> FWIW - I have found that the pandora plug-in for GIMP does a pretty
    >> good, automated job on panoramas.

    > Works well with hugin too.

    Yes, but I find pandora much simpler.

    ray, Mar 27, 2008
  7. Father McKenzie

    bugbear Guest

    ray wrote:
    >>> FWIW - I have found that the pandora plug-in for GIMP does a pretty
    >>> good, automated job on panoramas.

    >> Works well with hugin too.

    > Yes, but I find pandora much simpler.

    The extra control in Hugin comes in handy when you're pushing
    the envelope.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Mar 28, 2008
  8. Father McKenzie

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:21:29 +0000, bugbear wrote:

    >>> Works well with hugin too.

    >> Yes, but I find pandora much simpler.

    > The extra control in Hugin comes in handy when you're pushing the
    > envelope.
    >
    > BugBear

    Absolutely. I've only used pandora on fairly mundane projects.

    ray, Mar 28, 2008