[PIC] - comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Alan Browne

    Joseph Kewfi Guest

    Joseph Kewfi, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Alan Browne

    jimkramer Guest

    "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    news:k9Jac.92983$...

    > http://www.aliasimages.com/images/BlackLight_Snail_1b.jpg
    > (800x600, 173Kb)
    >

    > --
    > e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    Not an uninteresting effect, but I found the background distracting and the
    image too soft, not contrasty enough. Using the individual color levels I
    tweaked it to
    http://jlkramer.net/Alan/alans_snail.htm
    I like the more "liquid" look of the glass. Background is less distracting.

    Joseph needs to get out more; he's obviously spending too much time alone.

    Jim Kramer

    jimkramer, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Joseph Kewfi wrote:

    > I'm not interested in your sex toys.

    That you see it as such speaks volumes.

    Alan Browne, Apr 1, 2004
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    jimkramer wrote:

    > "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.aliasimages.com/images/BlackLight_Snail_1b.jpg
    >>(800x600, 173Kb)
    >>

    >>--
    >>e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    >>

    > Not an uninteresting effect, but I found the background distracting and the
    > image too soft, not contrasty enough. Using the individual color levels I
    > tweaked it to
    > http://jlkramer.net/Alan/alans_snail.htm
    > I like the more "liquid" look of the glass. Background is less distracting.
    >
    > Joseph needs to get out more; he's obviously spending too much time alone.
    >
    > Jim Kramer

    Thanks,

    Nice tweak, all I did was scan, re-size and sharpen.

    Actually, that was 1 of three slides and the least saturated (I
    bracketed 2/3 each side of meter + 1). I haven't scanned the other two
    yet. I'd rather get there on the slide itself... (E100S).

    I agree though, the BG is messy.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Apr 1, 2004
  6. Alan Browne

    > jimkramer wrote:
    >
    > > "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>http://www.aliasimages.com/images/BlackLight_Snail_1b.jpg
    > >>(800x600, 173Kb)
    > >>

    > >>--
    > >>e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    > >>

    > > Not an uninteresting effect, but I found the background distracting and

    the
    > > image too soft, not contrasty enough. Using the individual color levels

    > > tweaked it to
    > > http://jlkramer.net/Alan/alans_snail.htm
    > > I like the more "liquid" look of the glass. Background is less

    distracting.

    > > Joseph needs to get out more; he's obviously spending too much time

    alone.

    > > Jim Kramer

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nice tweak, all I did was scan, re-size and sharpen.
    >
    > Actually, that was 1 of three slides and the least saturated (I
    > bracketed 2/3 each side of meter + 1). I haven't scanned the other two
    > yet. I'd rather get there on the slide itself... (E100S).

    Please post when you do, I'm curious now.

    > I agree though, the BG is messy.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan
    >

    > --
    > e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    I have had 38 non-repeat viewings of the image I posted; I don't know how
    many looked at Alan's original. I'm pretty sure I know who two of them are.
    Comments people, don't just look, use that keyboard thing too, not just the
    mouse ;)
    Jim Kramer

    jimkramer, Apr 1, 2004
  7. Alan Browne

    Frank ess Guest

    jimkramer wrote:
    > "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    >> jimkramer wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message

    >>> Not an uninteresting effect, but I found the background distracting
    >>> and the image too soft, not contrasty enough. Using the individual
    >>> color levels I tweaked it to
    >>> http://jlkramer.net/Alan/alans_snail.htm
    >>> I like the more "liquid" look of the glass. Background is less
    >>> distracting.
    >>>
    >>> Joseph needs to get out more; he's obviously spending too much time
    >>> alone.
    >>>
    >>> Jim Kramer

    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Nice tweak, all I did was scan, re-size and sharpen.
    >>
    >> Actually, that was 1 of three slides and the least saturated (I
    >> bracketed 2/3 each side of meter + 1). I haven't scanned the other
    >> two yet. I'd rather get there on the slide itself... (E100S).
    >>

    > Please post when you do, I'm curious now.
    >
    >> I agree though, the BG is messy.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Alan
    >>

    >> --
    >> e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
    >>

    > I have had 38 non-repeat viewings of the image I posted; I don't know
    > how many looked at Alan's original. I'm pretty sure I know who two
    > of them are. Comments people, don't just look, use that keyboard
    > thing too, not just the mouse ;)
    > Jim Kramer

    "You are not the boss of me."

    Frank ess, Apr 1, 2004
  8. On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:36:28 -0500, "jimkramer"
    <> wrote:

    >I have had 38 non-repeat viewings of the image I posted; I don't know how
    >many looked at Alan's original. I'm pretty sure I know who two of them are.
    >Comments people, don't just look, use that keyboard thing too, not just the
    >mouse ;)

    i like them both to be honest... I think that your version is a little
    more subject focused, the work you did on the photo does tend to push
    the back ground a little further away.

    I think if the predominantly blue object in the back ground wasn't
    there although the background would remain cluttered it wouldn't be
    drawing the eye to it saying "I wonder what that is..."

    If its physically attached to the snail, then i'd have increased the
    DOF to at least partially include it within the shot... or gone
    totally the other way to reduce it to a greater blur...

    If the subject is front-side lit, then perhaps a black screen to block
    the light falling on the back ground, back ground objects would have
    helped...

    For a photo of an inanimate object I actually find it very pleasing...
    Its one area I find very difficult to find anything interesting with
    to make me want to get my camera out, its almost as un-interesting as
    standard portrait, style, work... its very hard to make it look better
    than the rest, to make it interesting... it [portrait] seems to be
    down to technical skill based on focus, lights, filters, etc... not a
    feeling of "oh wow that looks amazing, I want a copy/print," usually
    every shot is the same, only the subject changes!

    Having said that, with having done a few standard portrait shoots, I
    wonder how they can be different... even odd view points become
    repetitive after a while... I think i need to look at getting some
    coloured lights/flash covers and play with them to see if I can make
    them different to the usual.

    In the early 80s there was a paino player called richard claderman
    (spelling) technically a very competent pianist... but no feeling in
    the music, it was timed correctly, played correctly, but just didn't
    inspire....

    I guess that's why I'd never do wedding work, unless it was a gothic
    wedding lol, its just so standard format... same with, in the UK, page
    3... nice girls, nice pics, but damn they are so the same and so
    boring!

    Ditto with porn, there are a few exceptions such as Bob Twigg (I cant
    find anything about him on the internet!) but his work is so different
    to the standard stuff, yet gets plenty of work in the normal porn mags
    dispite his work being so non-standard. A lot of his work i'd consider
    kind of the artist porn... very close to art at times, but still very
    arousing both visually and otherwise lol.

    --
    Jonathan Wilson.
    www.somethingerotic.com

    Jonathan Wilson, Apr 2, 2004
  9. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Re: [PIC] - comments -bis

    jimkramer wrote:

    >>Nice tweak, all I did was scan, re-size and sharpen.
    >>
    >>Actually, that was 1 of three slides and the least saturated (I
    >>bracketed 2/3 each side of meter + 1). I haven't scanned the other two
    >>yet. I'd rather get there on the slide itself... (E100S).
    >>

    > Please post when you do, I'm curious now.

    Here is one of the other two. The perspective was a hair lower, which
    helped the background clutter a bit and defined the 'shell'. Also the
    slide is a little more saturated.

    http://www.aliasimages.com/images/BlackLight_ICE_0003CRPSHRP.jpg (180KB)

    Scanned at 5400 (8 bit) from E100S on Minolta DSE 5400 with ICE.

    No color changes.
    Unsharp mask at the presented size was 100, 0.4, 0 (amt, pix, thresh).

    * WARNING: VERY LARGE FILE (13 MB). (okay for broadband users) *
    * http://www.aliasimages.com/images/BlackLight_ICE_0003CRPSHRPLRG.jpg *
    * 7270x4896 pixels (35.5 Mpix). *
    * This file will be removed after a few days *

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Apr 6, 2004
  10. Alan Browne

    jimkramer Guest

    Re: [PIC] - comments -bis

    > jimkramer wrote:
    >
    > >>Nice tweak, all I did was scan, re-size and sharpen.
    > >>
    > >>Actually, that was 1 of three slides and the least saturated (I
    > >>bracketed 2/3 each side of meter + 1). I haven't scanned the other two
    > >>yet. I'd rather get there on the slide itself... (E100S).
    > >>

    > > Please post when you do, I'm curious now.

    > Here is one of the other two. The perspective was a hair lower, which
    > helped the background clutter a bit and defined the 'shell'. Also the
    > slide is a little more saturated.
    >
    > http://www.aliasimages.com/images/BlackLight_ICE_0003CRPSHRP.jpg (180KB)
    >
    > Scanned at 5400 (8 bit) from E100S on Minolta DSE 5400 with ICE.
    >
    > No color changes.
    > Unsharp mask at the presented size was 100, 0.4, 0 (amt, pix, thresh).

    > * WARNING: VERY LARGE FILE (13 MB). (okay for broadband users) *
    > * http://www.aliasimages.com/images/BlackLight_ICE_0003CRPSHRPLRG.jpg *
    > * 7270x4896 pixels (35.5 Mpix). *
    > * This file will be removed after a few days *
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan.
    >
    > --
    > e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    I like the angle on this better then the first. Still think the background
    is too similar and distracting. I don't like the detail so great that you
    can see the inclusions in the glass. I fiddled with it in PS but nothing I
    thought was worthy of sharing came out.
    Thought of illuminating the glass from below? A single hole in a black
    surface letting light up to illuminate the glass like a light pipe?

    Jim Kramer

    jimkramer, Apr 8, 2004
  11. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Re: [PIC] - comments -bis

    jimkramer wrote:

    > I like the angle on this better then the first. Still think the background
    > is too similar and distracting. I don't like the detail so great that you
    > can see the inclusions in the glass. I fiddled with it in PS but nothing I
    > thought was worthy of sharing came out.
    > Thought of illuminating the glass from below? A single hole in a black
    > surface letting light up to illuminate the glass like a light pipe?

    That was a 'one shot affair' where we had blacklights and an 'expert' in
    BL photography at the club. Imagine 25 people jostling for postition at
    one of 4 tables. I took three shots and gave up... some other time.
    What you see in the viewfinder and what you get on film are two very
    different things... if the green area, even with the bits of blue had
    covered the BG and the perspective were slgightly different, could have
    been much nicer.... (another "could have been", sigh).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Apr 8, 2004