  1. Which would be more useful to learn, PHP or COLDFUSION? I know
    Coldfusion is popular in the work force. Is PHP?

    Thanks!
    English Teacher, Oct 21, 2003

  2. English Teacher

    Randell D. Guest

    "English Teacher" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Which would be more useful to learn, PHP or COLDFUSION? I know
    > Coldfusion is popular in the work force. Is PHP?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I don't know cold fusion and... considering this is a php newsgroup I don't
    know how well you'll get an unbiased answer... however PHP is free and I
    believe runs on alot more environments... I *think* coldfusion is limited to
    a microsoft environment only... so while it (coldfusion) is popular I think
    you'll find that PHP is just as popular (if not more so) because of its
    cost, the availability of support, the documentation and the environments it
    will run on. Before I got my Apache/Linux server running (on a
    Pentium400mhz) I had Apache with PHP and MySQL on my Windoze98 266mhz
    laptop. Migrating to a linux platform required little change...

    I'm not anti-microsoft, but I think one is limiting themselves when they
    pick up skillsets like ASP or VB because they are limited on their
    platforms... and if you're going to teach yourself, they can be expensive
    skills just to get them working in your own not-for-profit environment...

    Hope that helps you decide...
    laters
    randelld
    Randell D., Oct 21, 2003

  3. English Teacher

    Andy J Guest

    >I *think* coldfusion is limited to a microsoft environment only.
    ColdFusion supports Windows, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, and now its on a
    Java base you can get it to work on the Mac aswell.

    Which is better to learn all depends on what you really hope to get at.
    There has been a lot of talk around newsgroups which is the better server
    side language with each corner putting up a good fight.

    ColdFusion MX is built upon a Java pltform so you can now, with no effort
    access Java libararys and you can also host .JSP pages as well as servlets.

    If i was you, personally i'd learn both, theres no point being stuck to just
    one language, you are just limiting yourself that way. For more info though
    check out http://www.macromedia.com/software/coldfusion/ and
    http://www.php.net and all the forums as they are littered with this type of
    question

    Andy Jarrett
    www.andyjarrett.co.uk
    Andy J, Oct 21, 2003
  4. (English Teacher) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Which would be more useful to learn, PHP or COLDFUSION?

    Useful--- I don't know.

    Cool --- PHP.

    I have learnt few web scripting languages including Coldfusion, ASP, PHP...
    But, only PHP attracted me well.

    But, it seems Coldfusion programmers are paid higher than PHP programmers.

    ---
    "If there is a God, he must be a sadist!"
    Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com
    R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah, Oct 21, 2003
  5. English Teacher

    Todd L Guest

    My God, I can't believe you people are responding to these posts... LOL...

    Todd L, Oct 21, 2003
  6. English Teacher

    Scott Guest

    Did the name of the group change? rec.photo.computerlanguage?

    Scott, Oct 21, 2003
  7. "English Teacher" <> wrote in message
    > Which would be more useful to learn, PHP or COLDFUSION? I know
    > Coldfusion is popular in the work force. Is PHP?

    Coldfusion is very easy to learn, due to it being tag based. For example to
    query a database and display the results

    <cfquery name="songlist" datasource="mp3">
    SELECT title,artist,bitrate,genre,length FROM songs ORDER BY artist
    </cfquery>

    <cfoutput query="songlist">
    </cfoutput>

    the above code would carry out a query on the coldfusion data source mp3,
    storing the results in a recordset songlist. It would then loop through the
    recordset displaying the title,artist,genre,bitrate and length fields of
    each record in the recordset.

    This a pretty trivial example, but it illustrates how easy coldfusion is to
    use

    advantages of coldfusion:
    ease of use
    very good integrated text search facility (Verity engine)
    based on J2EE (coldfusion converts cfm pages into java which are the run
    using the J2EE engine)
    integrates well with flash
    includes a number of built in systems for generating form validation, charts
    and graphs automatically

    disadvantages:
    the first time a cfm page is called, it has to be converted to J2EE, after
    that if the page is called again it can be retrieved from the coldfusion
    server's cache.
    mainly MS based
    coldfusion server is quite expensive
    CF hosting tends to be rarer and more expensive than for PHP

    Richard Hockey, Oct 21, 2003
  8. On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:39:36 -0700, English Teacher wrote:

    > Which would be more useful to learn, PHP or COLDFUSION? I know Coldfusion
    > is popular in the work force. Is PHP?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Whats the deal with the selection of crossposted NGs? rec.woodworking??
    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman | jeffrey AT jhu DOT edu
    Johns Hopkins University | Baltimore, MD
    Jeffrey Silverman, Oct 22, 2003
  9. English Teacher

    Leicaddict Guest

    (English Teacher) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Which would be more useful to learn, PHP or COLDFUSION? I know
    > Coldfusion is popular in the work force. Is PHP?
    >
    > Thanks!

    They are both useless. Learn MS dotnet. C# or VBnet. That is the
    future for at least the next 10 years.
    Leicaddict, Oct 28, 2003
  10. English Teacher

    Jim Moseby Guest

    > > Which would be more useful to learn, PHP or COLDFUSION? I know
    > > Coldfusion is popular in the work force. Is PHP?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > They are both useless. Learn MS dotnet. C# or VBnet. That is the
    > future for at least the next 10 years.

    +--------------+
    | Please Don't |
    | Feed the |
    | T R O L L! |
    +--------------+
    Jim Moseby, Oct 28, 2003
  11. English Teacher

    remmuh Guest

    (Leicaddict) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (English Teacher) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Which would be more useful to learn, PHP or COLDFUSION? I know
    > > Coldfusion is popular in the work force. Is PHP?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > They are both useless. Learn MS dotnet. C# or VBnet. That is the
    > future for at least the next 10 years.

    hmm, I can't imagine Coldfusion and PHP being rendered useless. Out of
    curiosity, why do you say this.?
    remmuh, Oct 28, 2003