    of this card. Obviously, this ain't good!! Does anyone know of any method
    (ie. any other PCI card) by which I can install my scanner on my new
    computer. Hopeless in Halifax. Eddy

    Eddy Vortex, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Eddy Vortex

    Graham Guest

    Post on comp.periphs.scanners & give the scanner model # & your OS

    "Eddy Vortex" <> wrote in message
    > I have a HP Photosmart scanner (not the s20 but the previous model) which
    > came with a Symbios Logic 53C416 PnP SCSI adapter. This card is an ISA

    card

    Graham, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Eddy Vortex

    Mike Guest

    "Eddy Vortex" <> wrote in

    > I have a HP Photosmart scanner (not the s20 but the previous model)
    > which came with a Symbios Logic 53C416 PnP SCSI adapter. This card is
    > an ISA card and my newly built computer has only PCI slots. I've
    > searched the web for the Advansys PCI PnP Adapter (Advansys ADH_915)
    > but can't find any mention of this card. Obviously, this ain't good!!
    > Does anyone know of any method (ie. any other PCI card) by which I can
    > install my scanner on my new computer. Hopeless in Halifax. Eddy

    The Photosmart SCSI scanner should work with just about any decent SCSI
    card. I used to have one (it died) but I had it working fine with an
    Adaptec AHA-2920.

    Mike, Aug 26, 2004
  4. Eddy Vortex

    Rick Guest

    "Eddy Vortex" <> wrote in message news:HuqXc.101229$...
    > I have a HP Photosmart scanner (not the s20 but the previous model) which
    > came with a Symbios Logic 53C416 PnP SCSI adapter. This card is an ISA card
    > and my newly built computer has only PCI slots. I've searched the web for
    > the Advansys PCI PnP Adapter (Advansys ADH_915) but can't find any mention
    > of this card. Obviously, this ain't good!! Does anyone know of any method
    > (ie. any other PCI card) by which I can install my scanner on my new
    > computer. Hopeless in Halifax. Eddy

    Get yourself an Adaptec 2910C (50-pin) or 2904 (25-pin)
    adapter, depending on which kind of port the scanner has.

    Rick

    Rick, Aug 26, 2004
  5. Well...you can do what I did...I explained to the keeper of the pocketbook
    that I needed more than one computer and I needed to network them together.
    Now my network has 3 desktops and a laptop....but I don't know if she will
    believe me if I use the same excuse again. Anyway...build one for scanning
    and printing ....for me that keeps my main computer free for other things
    like games.

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Eddy Vortex

    Graham Guest

    Graham, Aug 27, 2004
  7. Eddy Vortex

    Juergen Guest

    The larger problem is that HP has not updated many of their scanner's
    TWAIN driver for windows XP. Ergo even if you get the controller working
    the application may still not see the scanner, Make sure you check
    w/HP on the availability of a TWAIN driver for your OS

    Juergen, Aug 27, 2004
  8. Eddy Vortex

    Caleb Thomas Guest

    I have the PS scanner you have. It does have an XP driver..the newer
    S20 one will work. I just bought a pci scsi card and it works fine.

    Ben

    Caleb Thomas, Aug 27, 2004
  9. Eddy Vortex

    Eddy Vortex Guest

    Re: A Big Thanks to All

    I'd like to give a big THANKS to all of you for helping me out on this one.
    After a couple days of research, mostly discouraging, I'm asking myself "Why
    didn't I just ask you guys in th first place?"
    Thanks again
    Eddy

    Eddy Vortex, Aug 27, 2004
  10. Eddy Vortex

    Tony Guest

    > I have a HP Photosmart scanner (not the s20 but the previous model) which
    > came with a Symbios Logic 53C416 PnP SCSI adapter. This card is an ISA

    card
    > and my newly built computer has only PCI slots. I've searched the web for
    > the Advansys PCI PnP Adapter (Advansys ADH_915) but can't find any mention
    > of this card. Obviously, this ain't good!! Does anyone know of any method
    > (ie. any other PCI card) by which I can install my scanner on my new
    > computer. Hopeless in Halifax. Eddy

    See if you can find an Asus SC200 (if they are even still made). That one
    works fine. As others have said, however, any decent PCI based SCSI card
    should work.

    Tony, Aug 28, 2004
  11. Eddy Vortex

    Matt Ion Guest

    Eddy Vortex wrote:
    > I have a HP Photosmart scanner (not the s20 but the previous model) which
    > came with a Symbios Logic 53C416 PnP SCSI adapter. This card is an ISA card
    > and my newly built computer has only PCI slots. I've searched the web for
    > the Advansys PCI PnP Adapter (Advansys ADH_915) but can't find any mention
    > of this card. Obviously, this ain't good!! Does anyone know of any method
    > (ie. any other PCI card) by which I can install my scanner on my new
    > computer. Hopeless in Halifax. Eddy

    Any SCSI interface should work; SCSI is perhaps one of the oldest
    surviving industry-standard interfaces for a wide range of devices. A
    basic PCI SCSI-II card should be available for around $50 (I found a
    number of computer stores in Halifax by searching www.superpages.ca);
    the only thing to look for is that the connector on the back matches the
    one on your existing cable, or you may need to buy a matching cable as
    well. Note that there are no FUNCTIONAL differences between cables,
    only a difference in the size and shape of the connector itself.

    Matt Ion, Aug 28, 2004
  12. Eddy Vortex

    Matt Ion Guest

    The HP tech here mentions an Advansys card, but that doesn't mean you're
    limited to that particular card. Advansys is one of a number of "cheap"
    hardware manufacturers that build devices around generic chipsets, in
    this case probably a Symbios SCSI chipset. In reality, almost any basic
    SCSI interface should do the job.

    Matt Ion, Aug 28, 2004