    What is going on to make it so expensive all of a sudden? Frankly I wish
    there were some way to price-control it to MAKE it $100 again.

    What is going on?

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Larry R Harrison Jr

    PhotoMan Guest

    "Larry R Harrison Jr" <> wrote in message
    > A few months ago I managed to get a 100% brand-new Hewlett Photosmart

    S20xi
    > for $100 WITH shipping. Now, no matter what, they are at least $200 or so;
    > I've seen Buy it Now's for $300.
    >
    > What is going on to make it so expensive all of a sudden? Frankly I wish
    > there were some way to price-control it to MAKE it $100 again.
    >
    > What is going on?

    Unless you're buying another one, what's the problem?
    Joe Arnold

    PhotoMan, Feb 1, 2004

  3. That is it, I AM trying to buy another one. Considering it's a discontinued
    model and the Minolta DImage Scan III is selling for almost the same but is
    clearly superior, I don't get what's going on.

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Feb 1, 2004
  4. On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:25:06 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
    <> wrote:

    >A few months ago I managed to get a 100% brand-new Hewlett Photosmart S20xi
    >for $100 WITH shipping. Now, no matter what, they are at least $200 or so;
    >I've seen Buy it Now's for $300.
    >
    >What is going on to make it so expensive all of a sudden? Frankly I wish
    >there were some way to price-control it to MAKE it $100 again.
    >
    >What is going on?

    It's called, supply and demand.
    Although a bit low on resolution (2400 dpi) it is one of the handiest
    scanners on the market for most home users. I don't think it was
    actually in production for long, but new ones keep showing up.

    I purchased a new one shortly after they were announced and it worked
    well for several years, before a lightening strike ended its life a
    bit prematurely.

    If I could find a fault with the S-20 it would be its sensitivity to
    dust and keeping the prisms clean. It was also a bit slow by today's
    standards, but I scanned about 20,000 slides, negatives, and positive
    film strips with it.

    At roughly the equivalent of an 8.5 mega pixel camera's output ( 2400
    X 3600 for a 36 mm negative or slide) the images were the equal of
    all but the expensive cameras on today's market.

    I am ordering one of the Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 scanners which
    is considerably more than the S-20s even at the some what elevated
    prices now. OTOH the 5400 is less than half of what something
    similar, cost a couple of years back. Actually, I'm waiting to see
    what comes out of the DMA this month. I may even get another S-20 as
    I found it so handy for scanning in the 4 X 6 photos my daughter sends
    from her travels.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Feb 1, 2004